"Oh, sorry, as you can see by the fact that I'm called a boi, I'm gay"
    "Ah...well, will you still be mine?"
    "No."
    "Damnit *writes an awful song and becomes annoyingly famous*"

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by Camanche
    I can't stand her music, her voice, the way she looks, her attitude. I can't say that there's anything I like about her. While my dislike for her music is just personal taste, the way she acts is what really rubs me the wrong way. I have such a distaste for her that I'll keep it to myself, lest I say some bad things that will get me in trouble....
    That's how I feel too. I wouldnt feel so strongly about it if she didnt kepe saying she was punk, which she really isnt (dont jump down my throat here kids, she's not), and at the same time saying the pioneers of punk like The Sex Pistols are useless and unneccesary. It's very annoying.

As for her music, I wouldnt like it regardless of the above stuff. It's not my thing. I just dont like all the self-glorifaction she pulls. It seriously bothers me. And the covers she does. Ruins good music.

Personally, I'd rather listen to Limp Bizkit than her, and I conisder them to be one of the worst blights on the body of music. I take music rather seriously, and when a group takes a song I like, makes it sound absolutely horrid, and then makes people think they wrote it, it makes me hate them even more. I liked Faith, and Behind Blue Eyes is one of my favorite songs, those bastards.

I'm not too sure about the publicity surrounding Avril's cover of Chop Suey, but considering how badly she did it, makes me hate her even more than I used to.
    lol signature

I don't like her, either.

But what I dislike even more is how much people will spend their time complaining about how terrible she is. I mean, just shut up already, obviously her fans don't care anymore what other people think about her, so why bother complaining? It's not going to do anything. Sorry, it's just been bugging me quite a bit lately.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Well, isnt it the same as the fans talking about how wonderful she is all the time? The people who dont like her dont care what her fans say, so why bother praising her? Its just as useless, really. Its not like anything is gained from either venture, but it's what people like to do.

Ah, yeah, you're right TheAbominatrix.

I guess I should've stopped and thought about what I was going to say before saying anything. Bleh.

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Nah, you have a good point. It's just human nature to be outspoken about things, even when the opposition doesnt much care. I does get annoying when neither side shuts up though. xD

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Levian
    She's trying too hard.

edit: But she kinda looks like Psy.
    Go to hell. Go to hell and DIE PAINFULLY there. Even though you have to be dead to enter you should go and do it again.

I think her popularity is waning, hopefully in a couple of years it'll be "Avril who?"

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Well, like other 'pop punk' stars, she's built her popularity on a fad. Once this trend fades, so will her popularity, unless she rides whatever new fad comes up next. It's just like the 'pop princess' fad we had not too long ago (and which still exists, and is returning in full force). To have staying power, your music and your band in general should defy these fads and find a unique niche, which I dont believe Avril or bands like Simple Plan have.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think she's fake and that's about all there is to it. The music isn't awful, but the lyrics are terribly juvinile. I also have little to no respect for "artists" who just sing what and how they're told by those who manufacture them.

I probably wouldn't mind her nearly as much if it weren't for the fact that she seems to think she's punk. I felt bad having to explain to sixth graders who thought she was punk and that they were punk for liking her that they are, by all definitions of the label, not punk. They looked sad. xD

If I was at my own computer I'd link to an old article on her that I found interesting...

*Googles "Avril Sucks"*

It's the first thing that came up. xD

http://www.recroommagazine.com/articles/avril.htm

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    Well, like other 'pop punk' stars, she's built her popularity on a fad. Once this trend fades, so will her popularity, unless she rides whatever new fad comes up next. It's just like the 'pop princess' fad we had not too long ago (and which still exists, and is returning in full force). To have staying power, your music and your band in general should defy these fads and find a unique niche, which I dont believe Avril or bands like Simple Plan have.
    I don't see why she can't, Madonna's been riding fads successfully for almost 20 years.

Blog Entries

I think that people are really screwed up in how they get pissed when people blend musical styles.

"Bash Linkin' Park for being Rap/Rock! Bash Avril for being Pop/Punk! Crush originality and grind the process of new music to a halt like watch gears that were suddenly jammed up by a 3 day old poodle corpse!"

You're all tight asses.

Let the chick do what she wants. I'm not a fan, but, again, she isn't the freaking devil for trying something new and appealing to other groups of people (Which means that what she did is good and works. Personal tastes mean nothing. An even better example is that I don't like red peppers. But I ain't cursing the God that invented them or the foolhardy men who put them in the first pepper platter, am I?)

But, since you really want to hear what I think of her, I think she's swell. It's Rock Pop, and I'm a supporter of all rock pop, even if I don't like it much. REM and U2 can't do all the work to keep the genre alive. We'll need new blood like Avril if we want to keep the styles of BS (Britney Spears) or J. Lo from dominating. (Actually, rap is dominating, and I don't like rap, so I really would like to hear some decent music coming from other genres. I only listen to oldies rock because I have no real choice.)

And Shlup, exactly WHO has meaningful lyrics these days?

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    I don't see why she can't, Madonna's been riding fads successfully for almost 20 years.
    As I said, she'd have to ride the next fad or risk fading away.

edit: Martyr, you'll note that there's no vestiges of punk in her music. It's pop music with guitars, marketed as punk to help it sell to the current demographic.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

But Madonna did it with zest, by being a brazen whore, which made her memorable and easily marketable. Avril isn't crossing enough lines to end up anything but a shameful memory from childhood, in my opinion. But we shall see...

EDIT, in response to Martyr: I don't consider myself to be against her because I think she's mixing pop and punk. I think she's a pop singer who's feeding off a punk image that her music does not fit. At all. It's not about blending music styles, it's about being one thing and saying you're another.

I mean, if you're going to buy into labeling yourself, at least do so accurately.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack
    But Madonna did it with zest, by being a brazen whore, which made her memorable and easily marketable. Avril isn't crossing enough lines to end up anything but a shameful memory from childhood, in my opinion. But we shall see...

EDIT, in response to Martyr: I don't consider myself to be against her because I think she's mixing pop and punk. I think she's a pop singer who's feeding off a punk image that her music does not fit. At all. It's not about blending music styles, it's about being one thing and saying you're another.

I mean, if you're going to buy into labeling yourself, at least do so accurately.
    My main reason for not liking her is her total lack of vocal talent, but I agree with that a lot too, she's like "OMGZ I AM PUNX I KIK UR AZZ" but then she sings songs about sk8er boiz.