Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Avril Lavigne

She is a mediocre artist who sings in a terribly annoying accent which grates againist skin. Oh yeah, and she sings basic agnst which is rather pointless.

Oh yeah: She said her second album was inspired by repeated listens to The Smashing Pumpkins who she called "great". (She said her older band mates gave it to her). There is no sign of anything Smashing Pumpkins in her second album believe me.
    This is a lie. I hate liars on a good day. I hate Pop "But I'm really Punk (Honest *LIES*)" liars worst of all.

"I think you'd make any (nice) woman happy... & I think you really deserve for someone to make you happy too for a change"

Avril seems to really have it out for Britney. It's like she's constantly always looking for a time to insult her and her music, simply because she doesn't seem to like it. I reckon she feels intimidated.

I don't like Avril's music or her so called 'punk' style or her voice.

I don't like her bias towards image over music or her overblown sense of "yeah, I made it. I'm up with the big boys now".
    And as for "Sid Vicious for a new generation"...not only is it insanely lame to try and imitate former musical icons...that's just insanely hilarious anyway
    [center] I Painted My Own Mona Lisa
    She's Fixed Everything
    Now I'm Spoilt Beyond My Wildest Dreams
    [center]

I love Avril and I think she's hot! She's becoming a sex symbol, now!
    Her songs are great and I LOVE the lyrics. Can't wait for the next album.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk
    Hmm... I guess it all boils down to what YOU (general people) consider hardcore and punk
    Honestly, you'd have to be an idiot to consider her hardcore or punk, no matter how loose your definition, her "music" doesn't fit into those genres at all.

She used to be a folk singer, I believe, and her whole image was formed and marketed by her record company. Everything she does, wears and even the way she acts is what she's told to do. All thought up by a bunch of record company execs who know exactly how to lead around meek little children who have no will of own and follow a crowd like sheep.

...We need more wolves.

I'd rather let someone eat my own head very slowly with a scalpel whilst the lower half of my body is dipped in boiling hot water than listen to her music. Nuff.

Honestly she certainly reminds me of those skater punk lackies from high school. Who were more druggies than punk anything. I don't think she's trying to group herself with the dudes that have foot long mohawks that are dyed green or anything. They were referred to as "alternatives" back then. But they listened to anything their favorite label company told them to. A lot of those type of people adore Marilyn Manson for what seemed like no better reason than simply being different, and/or shocking. And talk about someone who's only out for an image... He's the embodiment. So really it's just personal experience. Which is what I was getting at in that statement. I'm guessing the "punk" group is different now, and different still in other parts of the country.

I would label it more 'Pop Punk' than 'Skater Punk'.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk
    A lot of those type of people adore Marilyn Manson for what seemed like no better reason than simply being different, and/or shocking. And talk about someone who's only out for an image... He's the embodiment.
    He doesn't lie about the style of music he writes (or co-writes in some cases) and performs, nor does he claim credit for other people's work, and while I may not like him in particular, I respect him a damn lot more than Avril Lavigne.

It's not just about image, it's about Avril trying to portray herself as something she isn't, never has been, and never will be, which is "punk" or "hardcore".

I would label it more 'Pop Punk' than 'Skater Punk'
    LoL I wouldn't label the dudes from High School as "Pop Punk". I was drawing a comparison.

Really, the Alternatives were new-age hippies. Obviously the skater punk is just the new Alternative.

I realize you might be turned off if you consider someone a liar. But some people are seriously dwelling on this. Like they consider themselves punk and hardcore and are insulted that she's classing herself with them.

It's not a matter of people who are punk or hardcore being annoyed, it's just the matter of a few simple things.

1. She's talentless
    2. She doesn't write her own songs or play instruments, yet she passes off her "music" as though she does
    3. Her vocals on the album are VERY much touched up and smoothed out, her real voice is well below sub-par
    4. She lies, she lies about where she got her image from, she lies about her musical style, she just plain LIES.
    5. She has a very much vaunted opinion of herself, her "music" and her importance in the world of music, and I really hate people with huge egos and nothing to back it up.
    6. The disgusting "style" she's spawned, and that nobody can get away with wearing a tie now without being asked if they're a fan of Avril Lavigne. Ugh, honestly, I see it all the time.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Punk has been a very specific style (of both clothing and music) since the late 70's, and it hasnt changed. She's clearly going for a watered down version of that, especially with her comparisons to Sid Vicious. Sid, as the rest of the Sex Pistols, was known for his over-the-top attitude and general disregard for all basic morals, along with being one of the forefathers of punk rock.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    Punk has been a very specific style (of both clothing and music) since the late 70's, and it hasnt changed. She's clearly going for a watered down version of that, especially with her comparisons to Sid Vicious. Sid, as the rest of the Sex Pistols, was known for his over-the-top attitude and general disregard for all basic morals, along with being one of the forefathers of punk rock.
    Despite not actually playing on any of the records, from what I've heard. Which shows it's all style no substance there, and image based on an attitude rather than any great musical talent. Sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy
    1. She's talentless
    2. She doesn't write her own songs or play instruments, yet she passes off her "music" as though she does
    3. Her vocals on the album are VERY much touched up and smoothed out, her real voice is well below sub-par
    4. She lies, she lies about where she got her image from, she lies about her musical style, she just plain LIES.
    5. She has a very much vaunted opinion of herself, her "music" and her importance in the world of music, and I really hate people with huge egos and nothing to back it up.
    6. The disgusting "style" she's spawned, and that nobody can get away with wearing a tie now without being asked if they're a fan of Avril Lavigne. Ugh, honestly, I see it all the time.
    That covers it a lot better than I put it.
    [leeza]Total sig height should not be over 250 pixels, including all text.[/leeza]

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy
    Have you ever take a look inside her discs?She has written all of her songs!(either the music or lyrics)

"People Always Lie" - House MD.

Member of the KH Trinity

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, Lindy summed it up well there. I dunno about you guys, but it just plain disgusts me when people listen to a SINGING artist, not caring about the vocals or anything, just how big the artists' chest is (if it's a girl) or if he/she is "ttly kewl nd knawt lyk BRITNEY SPEEEEARS."

Because as much as I hate Britney, since she can't sing either (she practically TALKS in her songs), at least she doesn't pretend to be something she's not. I'm sure she KNOWS she's an entertainer and not a talented singer.

If people judged artists by their vocal talent or whatever talent they're supposed to be displayed rather than how good they look, I'd say about half of Hollywood and celebrities would be non-existant. It makes me wanna puke when people are like "HEY OMGZ X-TINA IS TTLY SUX BUT AVRIL RAWX" when it's beyond obvious that Christina is one of the most talented singers today and Avril is just a walking Hot Topic billboard with a half a brain thrown in.

PS: I'm not dissing Hot Topic, I like the store, I just hate the people who shop there and think they're "soooo bad@zz."

My rant is done now.