Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Avril Lavigne

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Strife
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    Punk has been a very specific style (of both clothing and music) since the late 70's, and it hasnt changed. She's clearly going for a watered down version of that, especially with her comparisons to Sid Vicious. Sid, as the rest of the Sex Pistols, was known for his over-the-top attitude and general disregard for all basic morals, along with being one of the forefathers of punk rock.
    Despite not actually playing on any of the records, from what I've heard. Which shows it's all style no substance there, and image based on an attitude rather than any great musical talent. Sound familiar?
    Are we talking about punk in general, or The Sex Pistols? I'll assume the latter, if the former, say so and I'll respond to that properly.

The Sex Pistols are not at all a good example of actual punk rock, (for examples, see The Adicts, The Lower Class Brats, Subhumans, The Buzzcocks, The Circle Jerks, and so on) though they are most certainly punk, I'd just chose a better example when trying to make a statement, if it were up to me. From what I remember offhand, Sid was added to the band simply because of his over-the-top, wild behavior and not for talent. This was in a time where actual, honest-to-God punk was getting a lot of media attention. Sid was there for style, and subtance is up to the listener. The Sex Pistols (I'm not even a huge fan of them myself) at least have a leg up on Ms. Lavinge in the sense that they wrote their own songs and played their own instruments (Avril doesnt play her guitar in an live preformance, which leads me to believe she cant play it at all, and it's for show), but their popularity certainly had to do with the style, rather than the substance, especially in Sid's case.

That doesnt make Avril the Sid Vicious of her generation. That name was chosen for her statement, no doubt, because of the easy recognizable name. Your average person has a good idea of who Sid Vicious is, but if she'd said "I'm the Billy Bones of this generation" (in reference to the lead singer of The Skulls), no one would know who she meant. Even Glenn Danzig (formerly of The Misfits) isnt as recognizable as a name. Avril certainly fits in to the all style, no substance schlock, but there have been plenty of those people over the years. Countless really. She made the statement to be 'punk rock', and in that sense she isnt like Sid Vicious at all. She has none of his over-the-top attitude, none of his disregard for authority, and certainly not his drug habit, that poser (xD kidding).
    Last edited by TheAbominatrix; 04-25-2005 at 10:04 PM.

Hmm o.o

Well, since you seemed to be offended by my "b*tch fest" statement. I want to take a moment to apologise. It didn't include you. Like I said, I admire those that at least hate Avril for what she is or isn't and not just freak over the other end of the image crap. You seem to be able to tear her apart. In fact you tear everything apart. You don't seem all that argumentive, but you kick ass in a debate. Kudos.

If I wasn't already taken I think I might attempt courting you... ;P (J/K)

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk
    Hmm o.o

Well, since you seemed to be offended by my "b*tch fest" statement. I want to take a moment to apologise. It didn't include you. Like I said, I admire those that at least hate Avril for what she is or isn't and not just freak over the other end of the image crap. You seem to be able to tear her apart. In fact you tear everything apart. You don't seem all that argumentive, but you kick ass in a debate. Kudos.

If I wasn't already taken I think I might attempt courting you... ;P (J/K)
    I wasnt at all offended, so dont worry. I just get on a roll when I'm talking about things, and go with it. I wrote that just as I crawled out of bed, so I didnt even remember the bitch fest comment. <3 And thank you very much.

Huzzah, I almost scoreded!

Meh, she's okay.
    Last edited by Apollo; 04-26-2005 at 02:17 AM.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by MecaKane
    Also, why is everyone portraying anyone who likes Avril Lavigne(or anyone else they want to look down on, but that's not the point right now) as someone who types like a retard? The few people who like her here can type and use some grammar! So stfu, it's just stupid, there are just as many stupid kids typing like idiots about what a whore she is on anti sites as there are typing about how much of a punk rocker she is on pro sites.
    When she releases songs named things like Sk8er Boi, why do you think? :rolleyes2

Blog Entries

Because it's a beutifully written song

he wuz a sk8er boi she sed c u l8er boi,he wuznt gud enuff 4 her,she had a pretty face...Oh no, wait. That sentence uses proper english.

It is beautifully written, but even then..SHE DIDN'T WRITE IT.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

Just cause she didn't write it doesn't take anything from it.
    However, because of her attitude of acting like a TRUE Punk Rocker and a PROPER artist (unlike Britney in Avril's mind) it makes it more of a damning point.

"I think you'd make any (nice) woman happy... & I think you really deserve for someone to make you happy too for a change"

Blog Entries

I like 'Happy Ending' and 'I'm with you', they're cool and she's pretty awsome too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    Just cause she didn't write it doesn't take anything from it.
    However, because of her attitude of acting like a TRUE Punk Rocker and a PROPER artist (unlike Britney in Avril's mind) it makes it more of a damning point.
    Please, please say you're joking. I thought everyone knew she was about as punk as Paris Hilton, and her songs she doesn't write are about as poetic as the back of a cereal box.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Aeris
    ....about as poetic as the back of a cereal box.
    Oh thats good, I have to write that down.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I likes cerial boxes!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    That doesnt make Avril the Sid Vicious of her generation. That name was chosen for her statement, no doubt, because of the easy recognizable name. Your average person has a good idea of who Sid Vicious is, but if she'd said "I'm the Billy Bones of this generation" (in reference to the lead singer of The Skulls), no one would know who she meant. Even Glenn Danzig (formerly of The Misfits) isnt as recognizable as a name. Avril certainly fits in to the all style, no substance schlock, but there have been plenty of those people over the years. Countless really. She made the statement to be 'punk rock', and in that sense she isnt like Sid Vicious at all. She has none of his over-the-top attitude, none of his disregard for authority, and certainly not his drug habit, that poser (xD kidding).
    I hate it when people know what they're talking about.

My basic point was that in a way, she was like Sid Vicious because she is where she is because of how she acted and what she did, not because she had talent, which you picked up on. Whatever the specifics of what Sid did are irrelevant there though, because it comes down to the same thing even if she respects authority or whatever. It irks me to hear Sid Vicious called a great bass player (not something that happens all that often, I'll admit) because he didn't play any better than the guy from Good Charlotte. However, even Good Charlotte are a band I'd be more inclined to catagorise as punk than Avril because like the Sex Pistols, they write their own songs (however bad), and play them too.

So hearing Avril touted as a great artist/songwriter is equally annoying because she has everything "co-written", and has said in two different interviews that a) she wrote all the songs on Let Go herself at a young age, and b) said they were co-written in another one. Though I'd be bloody astounded if anyone who actually got paid to help her wrote the verse lyrics for Don't Tell Me on the second album, for instance.

So my beef is with the poser thing, and passing yourself off to clueless individuals as something you blatantly aren't (though I doubt Sid himself made any claims about musical greatness, he's not that great an example because it's more others who hyped him than himself), not with punk in general, if that's how the Sid Vicious comment came off.
    [leeza]Total sig height should not be over 250 pixels, including all text.[/leeza]

I don't like her. She's too full of hate. I look right and to her eyes, and I see no light at all. I'm sorry, but I don't like singers that have bad attitudes.

They're like black holes. So is her heart.