Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars! Lets hope all MMORPGs go this way!

Uhh, for a start the world is probably as big as WoW's, if not bigger.

Secondly, the class system isn't JUST about one class like WoW's boring system.

Lets have a look, so you have :

Warrior - Close up
    Ranger - Distance
    Elementalist - Straight out Mage
    Monk - Straight out Priest
    Mesmer - Anti-caster, attack prevention and disruption
    Necromancer - Curses, HP degen and drain, undead raising

So over half the classes are casters? WHOOP DE DOO, you can combine them in ANY damn way you want.

I have a Necro/Warrior who is very much battle focused, so the primary class is Necromancer? Doesn't mean I have to cast, they have enough skills to use in a purely battle sense.

So do Mesmers, so do Monks, so do freaking Elementalists.

You can combine them in any way you want and they will WORK, there is no godly invincible, balance destroying job that beats everything else, nor will amazing armour and fantastic weapons make you better than anyone else since skill is required.

WoW is about grind, about item-whoring and hunting and wasting your time in the same places levelling and hunting items just to be able to get to the next area where you can grind and hunt items, and so on.

In GW, I've never had to grind for items or levels, all I've gained is in the process of playing the game and doing quests, all the items I use I've crafted myself from items I found while progressing in the game, or items I've bought from other players.

GW is just basically a hell of a lot more friendly than WoW.

I have had FUN, I do not find grind fun and honestly, I don't see how anyone (aside from Koreans, all they do is MMORPG) could find grinding fun.

And tell me you at least played beyond the searing, since I HATE when people make decisions on a game when they've barely even played past the newbie area.

Dude Lindy thats the same for WoW, a majority of the exp is gained from quests and pvp. Most the items are gained through instances and the grind although you could, is not really the main point, its the same as GW, quests and pvp.

You havent even read up about WoW have you? >_>;;

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

I've spoken to enough people about the game, and they just plain say grind grind grind, especially for equipment, which is just, sadly exactly like Diablo 2.

Grind as in exp grind? Its instances for items. Exp is all quests.

Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Doing the same thing repeatedly is described as a grind, if that involves killing the same monster x1000 to get a single item, that's a grind. Just because it's instances doesn't mean it isn't a grind, it's just not a competitive grind.

Meh i ono, grind is part of a challenge thing, i do know for sure that one thing i do love about is when i party with close friends and we bond. When we do get the hard to get item...we are lik eYESSS...that feeling is awesome. Although there could be frustration too, but to me it just makes the good time sbetter.

Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy
    Uhh, for a start the world is probably as big as WoW's, if not bigger.
    Does it take 3 hours in GW to run to next city?

Prinny God Recognized Member Endless's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Obviously, Lindy never played WoW, and is ignorant of the other MMORPGs aswell.

- In all (and I mean all) MMORPGs, there are low level areas, medium level, and so forth. So obviously, in all the MMORPGs you are going to have to level up in a beginner area before you move on to one with higher level monsters/instances... (unless someone with a higher level goes with you, like I did with my level 22 hunter in the badlands).

- WoW can be played without grinding if you want. You don't have to go in instances, it's just more interesting because: a) that's where the major quests take place, because omg, there's a story. b) Since monsters in instances are also stronger, they carry more valuable equipment (which leads me to my next point)

- You don't have to grind for equip in WoW until you reach the max levels (50+). You just don't. When killing monsters you can find something, if it's better, equip, if not, sell it. Same in instances, it's usually made so that everyone will find a better rare weapon/armor just by going once in it (except, again, level 50+ instances, most notably the raid instances). And then there are the quest rewards, they often are (assuming you do the quests that are your level or above) better than what you have. And there's the posibility to buy from other people, either through direct trade or by going to the Auction House. And last, you can make your own equip by picking the proper job(s), and sell it to other players if you want to.

So in short, I
    - never hunted for an item, all of them are either found during my one run through an instance, bought from other players, quest rewards or made myself;
    - don't exp grind unless I want to;
    - can choose from multiple areas that have around the same difficulty to pick quests from, each area having quests that influence my reputation with different factions.
    - am also enjoying the story behind.

And then there is Death

Well spoken.

Topics about grinding in WoW :
    http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...topic=20948107
    http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...topic=20937153
    http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...topic=20928452
    http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...topic=20907432
    http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...topic=20905884

And of course you have that in all MMOs, which is why I find pretty much all of the endlessly boring now, including RO which was the pinacle of the boring grind. But the point is you don't have it in GW, there is no need for it, and it clearly exists in WoW.

And may I ask, is it FUN to spend 3 hours walking to the next town?

It does take 3 hours to walk from Ascalon City to Lion's Arch, which are two major cities, but there are small towns in between, there are story missions, quests, etc. I doubt spending 3 hours to walk to the next town, and then dying just a few steps away would be much fun at all, and I'll be extremely skeptical if you can actually say it is.

Oh, and GW doesn't have that stupid EXP depreciation thing from quests, if it says you get 1000 exp, you GET 1000 exp, and it doesn't really matter because of the level 20 cap.

And it's nice to have an unbreakable character that you can tweak and play with, unlike well...every other MMO, I'd rather spend hours playing a game on a character, find out a certain skill works better than another and so change my attributes so it accentuates that, rather than having to start all over again.

Duuuuh.. *goes editting ignore list*

You're big, someone argues with you and you ignore them because you can't argue back?

What are you, 8 years old? Oh yes, you've ignored me now, so not like it matters.

Uncalled for. Knock it off. -Murder

Excuse me, YOU are the one who started arguing, and I didnīt argue back.

So for me, looks like you are the 8 years old here...

[b]EDIT: This too. -M[/s]

Sorry, I'm just too busy basking in the genius of that comment to reply.

[b]EDIT: Honeslty, how does this in any way contribute to the thread? Please use better judgement. -M[/s]

Prinny God Recognized Member Endless's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

These are people who CHOSE to grind. I repeat, you DON'T HAVE TO grind unless you want to until you reach the upper levels. Also, in the examples you gave, some are grinding for money to buy a mount. Again, it's a choice, not an obligation.

And of course you have that in all MMOs, which is why I find pretty much all of the endlessly boring now, including RO which was the pinacle of the boring grind. But the point is you don't have it in GW, there is no need for it, and it clearly exists in WoW.
    And again, there is NO NEED for it. It's a player's choice. And I agree about RO.

And may I ask, is it FUN to spend 3 hours walking to the next town?
    Well, apart from the fact he greatly exaggerated, WoW has transportation means such as:
    - boats
    - zeppelins
    - a tram
    - mounts (when you have the level)
    - gryphons/hippogryphs/bats/... from one town/camp to others
    - warps (mages)
    - and most classes get a "fast walk" skill at level 20.
    - and the warp stone to go back to your chosen inn.
    that all make it not tiresome some to go from one camp/area/big town to another.

It does take 3 hours to walk from Ascalon City to Lion's Arch, which are two major cities, but there are small towns in between, there are story missions, quests, etc. I doubt spending 3 hours to walk to the next town, and then dying just a few steps away would be much fun at all, and I'll be extremely skeptical if you can actually say it is.
    Going from one town to the other takes long the first time, but after that it's fast, plus you usually go to a new town because a quest leads you there, which means you get to do quests on the way, plus pick quests that are in the middle. Example, from Ironforge, to Menethil harbor. First you have to go through Loch Modan, where a bunch of quests are available, one in particular (when you have about the level to survive) asks you to start crossing the mountain pass to the wetlands and report to a npc in Menethil Harbor. On the way, you'll encounter a npc that asks you to pick a shipment and carry it to the harbor. Once you reach the harbor, you can open the flight path, and going back to Ironforge takes you now 3 minutes, top. Or you can start the quests here, or take the boat to Darnassus (to do Elf quests) or take the boat to Theramore (if you are strong enough).

Oh, and GW doesn't have that stupid EXP depreciation thing from quests, if it says you get 1000 exp, you GET 1000 exp, and it doesn't really matter because of the level 20 cap.
    EXP depreciation makes sense. Why would looting a book for one NPC give me 1000 exp if all it takes is killing a few level 6 bandits when I'm level 24 and they die in two hits? Easy -> less exp, hard -> more exp. It rewards people who work in group (because obviously it makes tackling a harder quest possible, whereas you don't stand a chance alone).

And it's nice to have an unbreakable character that you can tweak and play with, unlike well...every other MMO, I'd rather spend hours playing a game on a character, find out a certain skill works better than another and so change my attributes so it accentuates that, rather than having to start all over again.
    Ok, you can't change class/race midgame, but as far as the talents go, you can chose to unlearn them, for a fee, and you don't lose any talent point, nor do you have to reroll a character. You just then reassign the points. If you get tired of a job, get a new one. Getting a character to level 6-8 takes almost no time, and gives you a pretty good idea of what it's like.

And then there is Death