Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars! Lets hope all MMORPGs go this way!

Must change name: NikoKun Tidus Andronicus's Avatar

awwww.... lol... I wont get my copy until tomorrow! =/

I'm also getting the special release... but I don't think I'll be using the 3 months free teamspeak... but I do like that headset lol.
    Wii Friends Code: 1253-3744-4913-5203
    AKA: NikoKun

Quote Originally Posted by Daggers64
    hmmm O_o what collector edition did you get? the one on Gamestop's site?
    If you're talking to me, I got the one at EBGames, and my brother got the one from Gamestop.

As nice as it may seem, I doubt it would run on a computer as old as mine. Let alone I doubt the server will be able to stay online with lack of continual payment for upkeep and bandwidth usage. In short, I think the concept of pay once for MMORPGs is going to be a short lived one. Gravity, if they charged a little less, has the right idea with Ragnarok Online's method of billing. Free software, pay to connect.

WoW is just about as fun as crap on a stick. Very skeptical about the non-monthly payments too - even though you will still need to buy expansions. But hey, we'll see how it goes.

Usualy with MMORPG's, monthly fees mean better support, maintenance, servers and updates.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

For one, they claim their network is extreamly efficiant, and takes up very little bandwidth.
    Also, to counter the certain explosion of users, and then the drop off of profits, they plan to release an expansion pack every 6 months or so which will deliver lots of extra content, although still be completely optional and still allow you to play with your friends if you don't have it.
    This should cover the costs pretty good.

Though I'd like to see a commercials! Which we probably will soon...

Its a neat idea, but I personally don't see it being successful in that way. Theres no way it will make enough profits to support it way long term like battle.net. Even that used ads, and was really low bandwidth for people with 56k. Sure its still around, but only because other games use it as well, plus the whole bnetd thing... Honestly if this went the way of a private server, I can see it working, but as a profitable business model, I cannot. I'm sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Tidus Andronicus
    For one, they claim their network is extreamly efficiant, and takes up very little bandwidth.
    Also, to counter the certain explosion of users, and then the drop off of profits, they plan to release an expansion pack every 6 months or so which will deliver lots of extra content, although still be completely optional and still allow you to play with your friends if you don't have it.
    This should cover the costs pretty good.
    Every new MMORPG says this. Even WoW's servers went to the crapper because they didn't suspect so many new players in the first week - yet before that, they had planned for it. Now WoW's servers are just plain crappy (lags way too much, way too often).

All companies are going to say great things about their product, all the time. We'll have to see for ourselves if they hold true.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

lol I'd feel the same way as you about it... but ArenaNet claims to have a whole new technology for this game... and if its true... and they use it efficiantly, it might work.

I would expect this to work as long, if not longer than Battle.net. For one, these guys used to work on Battle.net, so they know how to do it.

But will have to wait and see! I don't regret spending the $80 on this game so far. lol ^_^;

Argh, this comes up a lot on the WoW forums... Battle.net is NOTHING compared to servers hosting a MMORPG. Battle.net only allowed you to connect to a maximum amount of players, it did not host 4000 people on each server.

Battle.net was very buggy and had a lot of hacks (diablo 2).

Δ As above, so below ∇ crashNUMBERS's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Daggers, You always did bring in the best MMORPG'S I've ever seen. Thanks. But not sure if it's explained in other posts but is it free?? If not can someone tell me how much??

Okay, I downloaded some trailers and read up about their 'new technology'. From what I've seen the graphics are good (of course, new game), but the whole layout, style and gameplay looks very very similar to WoW (which is something I hate, worst mmorpg ever).

The new technology sounds like it could cause a lot of troubles. But we'd have to wait to find out.

Overall I'm sure it will do well (at least better than WoW).

Blog Entries

looks to me like the only race there is is humans... I like having a variety personally.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Well, if I were ever to play an MMORPG, a lack of furries would certainly contribute towards convincing me.

This game goes one better, your main enemies are pretty much furries.

Damn giant cat monsters.

Anyway, I love it, I love how it plays, I love how it isn't based on a level grind for hours and you get new skills straight off, it's just plain and quick fun, but I'm sure it's very possible to get deeply into it (which I think I will).

Plus, you have an unbreakable character, you can raise skills with attribute points, but you can reduce them too and get back what you spent to put into new skills, nice idea meaning you don't level for hours, realise you built an awful character and then need to remake.

*ehumragnarokonlineehum*

I'm sorry you feel that way about Furries... but you don't have to insult us, we do have feelings too -_-.