Thread: What the hell is with the Samurai dressphere??

Default What the hell is with the Samurai dressphere??

Does anyone else HATE how they did the Samurai dress sphere? I do because THAT IS NOT HOW A SAMUARI SHOULD BE AT ALL!

For starters, they dont wear cloth as underarmor, they wear leather or hide for underarmor. Their armor covers THEIR WHOLE BODY, and doesn't expose some parts to add sex appeal.

Second, why do they have gigantic swords? Thats not even vaugely close to how a Samurai's weapon should be. The Samurai katana is made to be light and easy to use yet powerful, not these over-sized Bustersword rejects that are swung at a snails pace.

And finally, least but still something to be said, Samurai were never women! It may sound sexist, but I think this game is a bit sexist itself with its blatent sex appeal.

Anyway, just wanted to say that.

hate to break it to yea... but FFX-2 isn't the only thing with female Samurai, no one cares anymore, get over it.

and the dresshpere wasn't designed to be like actual Samurai, it's a GAME in another WORLD, they could've had Samurai that looked like that in Spira that one time! And the sword thing... it was made to look cool, that's it.

lol, sorry to sound alittle rude...

The guy who is never here cloud20747's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gullwing
    hate to break it to yea... but FFX-2 isn't the only thing with female Samurai, no one cares anymore, get over it.

and the dresshpere wasn't designed to be like actual Samurai, it's a GAME in another WORLD, they could've had Samurai that looked like that in Spira that one time! And the sword thing... it was made to look cool, that's it.

lol, sorry to sound alittle rude...
    I agree

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

The sword thing was a tribute to Auron more than anything else I think.

As for the rest, I seriously doubt they were trying to be authentically and historically correct with the "Samurai" dressphere, but rather, they just gave it a samurai feel and made it look somewhat samurai-ish, with a sexy girly touch. It's just how they wanted to do it.

And if nothing else, like Gullwing said: it's a game in a fantasy, madeup world, where anything the developers want can be so, which is what makes videogames great in the first place.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Of course its not realistic, don't you understand the meaning of fantasy?

I mean you are saying the Samurai isn't realistic but you should have realised that weel before you even got the dressphere after taking one look at the Songstress dressphere for goodness sake!

.....yeah...its not supposed to be realistic....and that reason.....why do you care so much?
    since then....those 1000 words have never been spoken.......

Which FF Character Are You?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Buccura
    Does anyone else HATE how they did the Samurai dress sphere? I do because THAT IS NOT HOW A SAMUARI SHOULD BE AT ALL!

For starters, they dont wear cloth as underarmor, they wear leather or hide for underarmor. Their armor covers THEIR WHOLE BODY, and doesn't expose some parts to add sex appeal.
    'Samurai' is a word for a type of warrior, just like 'knight' or 'lancer' in English. There's no definitive rule for exactly what that entails. Nothing ever says that the FFX-2 samurai is a traditional Japanese samurai, it's just something vaguely similar.
    Second, why do they have gigantic swords? Thats not even vaugely close to how a Samurai's weapon should be. The Samurai katana is made to be light and easy to use yet powerful, not these over-sized Bustersword rejects that are swung at a snails pace.
    As has been said, the samurai dressphere is similar to Auron's style. Auron, a former Warrior Monk, is basically a samurai. As I said earlier, there's no strict, unalterable rule that all samurai must wield katana and nothing else. That would be like saying Cecil in FFIV isn't really a knight because he doesn't wear a surcoat.
    And finally, least but still something to be said, Samurai were never women! It may sound sexist, but I think this game is a bit sexist itself with its blatent sex appeal.
    Well, these samurai are women. It's a difference, changing something from real life and adapting it to a fantasy world. Just like the games have female knights and dragoons. FFX's world is not our world, so it works differently.

The women in that game are strong, independent and courageous. I'd call that a positive portrayal. The fact that they wear skimpy outfits is perhaps unfortunate at times, but it can also be seen as a reflection of their personae - not bowing to others' preconceptions or influence, doing what they consider right or 'fun'.

Just for emphasis, I'll compare some other FFX-2 job classes with their real-life counterparts:

*Gunner: No real gunslingers wore hotpants and half-skirts.
    *Thief: Real thieves usually dress for stealth or anonymity, not to draw attention.
    *Dark Knight: Spiky armour is stupid and impractical.
    *Warrior: No-one uses a sword that large with only one hand. Similarly, no-one would armour their entire lower body and limbs while leaving their chest unprotected. Also, no knights ever used that 'inverted' fighting style that Paine employs.
    *Lady Luck: No comment.
    *Alchemist: Real alchemists were scientists, of a sort. No huge rifles or skintight bodysuits.
    *Berserker: Real berserkers were Viking axe or sword fighters who fought with a frenzied style. They didn't wear animal claws and do kickboxing on their opponents.
    *Songstress: No popstar bimbo has power so great that she can affect her enemies just by singing and dancing.

...and so on...

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

How do u get it though
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Quote Originally Posted by Big D
    Quote Originally Posted by Buccura

'Samurai' is a word for a type of warrior, just like 'knight' or 'lancer' in English. There's no definitive rule for exactly what that entails. Nothing ever says that the FFX-2 samurai is a traditional Japanese samurai, it's just something vaguely similar.
    As has been said, the samurai dressphere is similar to Auron's style. Auron, a former Warrior Monk, is basically a samurai. As I said earlier, there's no strict, unalterable rule that all samurai must wield katana and nothing else. That would be like saying Cecil in FFIV isn't really a knight because he doesn't wear a surcoat.
    Well, these samurai are women. It's a difference, changing something from real life and adapting it to a fantasy world. Just like the games have female knights and dragoons. FFX's world is not our world, so it works differently.

The women in that game are strong, independent and courageous. I'd call that a positive portrayal. The fact that they wear skimpy outfits is perhaps unfortunate at times, but it can also be seen as a reflection of their personae - not bowing to others' preconceptions or influence, doing what they consider right or 'fun'.

Just for emphasis, I'll compare some other FFX-2 job classes with their real-life counterparts:

*Gunner: No real gunslingers wore hotpants and half-skirts.
    *Thief: Real thieves usually dress for stealth or anonymity, not to draw attention.
    *Dark Knight: Spiky armour is stupid and impractical.
    *Warrior: No-one uses a sword that large with only one hand. Similarly, no-one would armour their entire lower body and limbs while leaving their chest unprotected. Also, no knights ever used that 'inverted' fighting style that Paine employs.
    *Lady Luck: No comment.
    *Alchemist: Real alchemists were scientists, of a sort. No huge rifles or skintight bodysuits.
    *Berserker: Real berserkers were Viking axe or sword fighters who fought with a frenzied style. They didn't wear animal claws and do kickboxing on their opponents.
    *Songstress: No popstar bimbo has power so great that she can affect her enemies just by singing and dancing.

...and so on...
    first of all:
    i liked the dressspheres and i thought that they were perfact the way that they were.
    second:
    this is differant and there's girls using them.i'm a girl and i definatly DON'T want to dress like a scientist.

*HUGS* TOTAL!
    give lulusgirl more *HUGS*

Get hugs of your own

Emily, Dark Goddess, and I Don't Need A Name are my best friends I could ever wish for.

You tell them lulusgirl fight the chauvinists!

thanks Y-Rikku-P.i'm just saying that i love all the dressspheres.

*HUGS* TOTAL!
    give lulusgirl more *HUGS*

Get hugs of your own

Emily, Dark Goddess, and I Don't Need A Name are my best friends I could ever wish for.

I like the dressphere! I also agree with everyone.
    [leeza]Filesize limit is 50 kb. Please read the sig restrictions posted above the sig field and PM a Knight/Admin if you do not understand them.[/leeza]

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This thread, much like the Samurai, is beautiful. This is why I love this forum.

EDIT (5/25/05): I started reading this thread and was wondering why I archived it. It gets a lot better as you keep going through.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum