Thread: Here is a thread about Psychonauts

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Default Here is a thread about Psychonauts

Since you didn't have one before.

This is obviously a crosspost, because I like doing those.

---

Psychonauts is the greatest game I have played in a long damn time. The cover looks like this:

The Lead Designer to Psychonauts is a man named Tim Schafer. Here is a picture of Tim that also has a girl (with boobs) and Manny Calavera:

He has written many classic adventure games. Among them are Grim Fandango, which looks like this:

And Day of the Tentacle, which looks like this:

He's also responsible for much of the dialogue from the first two Monkey Island games.

Psychonauts is Schafer's first Action Platformer game. In a lot of ways it feels like an Adventure game because many of the puzzle elements are not spelled out for you and also it is hilarious. The characters are endearing and the plot is interesting. It is a fun game. You play as a young psychic kid with goggles who sneaks into a summer camp for young psychic kids and must become an elite psychic special agent before his parents come to pick him up and take him back to the circus. What really shines, however, is the level design. Over the course of the game, you travel into the heads of many different characters, and must complete objectives inside of their minds to procede.

In one level, you are inside of the mind of your severely retro psychic instructor and your objective is to learn how to levitate. It is then your task to navigate through what can only be described as a disco rollerskate pinball nightmare, flying through hoops and bouncing off bumpers and just in general whooping it up. I will try to find a screenshot.

Here is another one:

Another level has you travel inside a schizophrenic prison guard where you have to weather a twisted suburbia full of paranoid delusions, complete with nosy garbage bins taking pictures behind your back and hilarious secret agents posing as street workers/gardeners/housewives/grieving widows/etc. Quotes from these jewels of comedy are a high point of the level.

"I wish that my loved one were not dead, but rather alive."
    "I occasionally abuse prescription pills."
    Sewer Worker: "I may sometimes smell faintly of fecal matter, but my contributions to society are vital."

Secret Agent posing as construction worker:

The Neighborhood. This is really a screenshot of what the level looks like.

You can play Psychonauts now for Xbox, PC, or Coming Soon for Playstation 2.
    goku

I want, I want, I want.

PS2 specifically, but it'll have awful loading times I bet, need a GC release so it'll have good graphics and loading speed.

RX Queen Recognized Member kikimm's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd love to tell you that I'm excited and everything, but I'm still freaking out about that woman---with boobs??!?

--Box Box Box Box

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Two ASC crossposts in one week? Madness.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by kikimm
    I'd love to tell you that I'm excited and everything, but I'm still freaking out about that woman---with boobs??!?

I know, I wonder what it's like to be near one.
    goku