Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Greatest Hits" do we really need 'em?

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

Dear Beck and Jamairoquai,
    Giz your greatest hit cd eyah don't be stally now!
    From Ben.

Dear Blur,
    You know I bought your Best Of cd just because it had a new song on it wait no I didn't buy it I won it off of the radio cos the guy asked for people to ring up and name three blur songs and I rang up and named ten and he had to tell me to be quiet or something ahahaha <3

Dear Travis,
    I would buy your greatest hits cd because it has TWO new songs on it, but I'm hoping you'll put it on your next cd.

Dear SFA,
    I don't know whether to buy your Songbook One, or hope that the music stores will start importing your stuff again. WOT SHOULD I DO?

Summoner of Nessie Brian The Pink Shark's Avatar

i think greatest hits albums are a great idea, a lot of the bands i like have been around for many decades and have recorded many albums so i do have a lot of greatest hits albums, i like them because they can turn me on to other cds of the band which i eventually buy anyway. The only of my favorite bands for which i dont have a greatest hits album is Iron Maiden, i have 10 of their cds and just dont plan on buying their greatest hits at the time being as a lot of the songs i like from them are not on their greatest hits albums

I'd never buy a greatest hits album if I own any of the band's previous albums, but I'd buy a greatest hits record to see if I like the band.

It really annoys me when some songs are only available on a gh album, and I usually refuse to buy it on principle.

Banned

I only buy "greatest hits" CDs if they contain atleast some new unreleased stuff.
    The songs on "greatest hits" CDs are rarely the greatest hits.
    I prefer buying the real albums.

I usually buy "greatest hits",so i can add them to my collection.

I think they're handy if compiled well, but few things are more annoying when a greatest hits album is butchered by a money-hungry record company. I'm on the fence really.
    [center] I Painted My Own Mona Lisa
    She's Fixed Everything
    Now I'm Spoilt Beyond My Wildest Dreams
    [center]

Blog Entries

I hate it when they "edit" the songs just to make place for more -
    I'd rather have fewer tracks in their original versions, instead of
    20 edited mixes. I hate that.

I want to note (and brag) that those who have an iPod and an FM Transmitter can create a playlist of the greatest hits of their artists. That's what I do, it's unbelievably convenient.

Summoner of Nessie Brian The Pink Shark's Avatar

actually my favorite album at the moment is A slight case of overbombing by the sisters of mercy which is a greatest hits album so they do have some good qualities

I just got my Another Night CD from Real McCoy the other day. I thought they made at least 5 albums, turns out they only had 2. Guess what? They had a greatest hits album after 2 albums. How screwed up is that? I thought Creed was pushing it after 3 albums, but damn...2 albums? I'll laugh the day a group releases a GH album after 1 album.

But you can't possibly create a GH album without any albums...can you? Judging from my surprises, I'm sure some idiot group will.