Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Greatest Hits" do we really need 'em?

Blog Entries

Default "Greatest Hits" do we really need 'em?

Well?
    Personally I own each and every recording by Grace Jones ever made, every single:
    studio album; CD, LP, 12" and 7" singles and all of her "Greatest Hits" collections.
    But really, aren't "Greatest Hits" generally aimed at people whose curious of the selected singer?

I usually pick 'em up anyway, most of the times they contain new tracks and remixes of old classics.

So what do you think of "Greatest Hits" collections?

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love Greatest Hits. No, it's not just because I'm curious. There's almost never a CD that I like straight through so I like having all of the best on one CD.
    *still waiting for Radiohead's Greatest Hits CD *
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm an album person. If there's just one or two songs I like on an album, I won't buy it. Greatest Hits are just a way to put more money into the executives hands'.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree with you, Yams. I also won't buy a CD if there are only one of two songs on it that I like...I'll just download those songs. But even though I have every Marylin Manson CD because I basically like everything he does, I still like to have a CD with just the greatest hits. I know I could burn my own, but when I like an artist I don't mind putting more money into their hands. I won't do for everyone though. Just the few that I really like.

Blog Entries

By the time the 'Greatest Hits' album comes out, I've usually lost interest.

there was a picture here

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leeza
    I agree with you, Yams. I also won't buy a CD if there are only one of two songs on it that I like...I'll just download those songs. But even though I have every Marylin Manson CD because I basically like everything he does, I still like to have a CD with just the greatest hits. I know I could burn my own, but when I like an artist I don't mind putting more money into their hands. I won't do for everyone though. Just the few that I really like.
    I'm exactly the same when it comes to Grace Jones, I'm a completist and I don't mind putting a little money into a "Best of" collection.

By the way did you happen to pick up Marilyn Manson's "Greatest Hits" collection, it's awesome.

Depends. Some bands/artists, they have several great albums, all of which I'd buy (Floyd, Beatles, Dylan, etc.). While some have a few great songs, but the albums don't hold up, in which case a Greatest Hits is grand.

(。◕‿‿◕。) Recognized Member Jojee's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like Greatest Hits for the reason of curiosity and sampling ^_^

Wat
    is
    going
    on
    wtf
    rawr

Some of the music I enjoy listening to, jazz and big band swing, is quite old and is only released as a greatest hits album, so in those cases, I really have no choice. Otherwise, I don't mind, so long as the music itself is worthwhile.

Take care all.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    By the way did you happen to pick up Marilyn Manson's "Greatest Hits" collection, it's awesome.
    Two of them actually. One that I ordered by accident as just a CD version without the bonus DVD when I ordered the (s)AINT video. So then I also had to buy the one with the bonus DVD as well.

i know for sure that u wont find "best of metallica" or "best of ac/dc"
    to live is to die

Quote Originally Posted by Satyricon
    i know for sure that u wont find "best of metallica" or "best of ac/dc"
    S&M..............

if i really like the band i wont buy the best of album. like i wont by best of led zeppelin. but for bands like "red hot chilli peppers" i will just cause i like some of their better songs, and i dont want to spend all the money for a CD were im only going to listen to 2 or 3 songs.
    SIg removed for exceeding 250 pixel height

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

If the best of nirvana album never came out, there wouldn't be half as much kids who know who nirvana was.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I think Greatest Hits CDs are good in some instances because the individual albums may be much harder to find. I have The Greatest Hits of the Verve Pipe, and I love it. I haven't actually seen any of their albums on sale anywhere, though.
    Last edited by XxSephirothxX; 05-02-2005 at 04:36 AM.

GH CDs are not that great for fans of the artist, but usually better suited for casual fans of the artist.

I'm getting The Cranberries: Stars, it's a GHA. They threw in 2 unreleased tracks too, so I guess that sucks for the fans of The Cranberries.

Personally though, I don't like GHs CDs. The only GH CD I have is from Outkast, and even then I planned to get all their albums anyways. Oh well. We know those CDs are there for money, but they shouldn't charge you the full album price because no real labor was put into these GH CDs.