Thread: Cinco de Mayo

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I thought Mexico had two independence days. One from the Spanish, and one from the French, the latter of which is Cino De Mayo. What's the real scoop?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

Short history lesson:
    http://www.mexonline.com/cinco.htm

I've heard Corona tastes good if you put lime in it. I've never tried it, though, and I don't really like any beer.

I thought Cinco De Mayo was a celebration of some type of battle victory in their war for independence?

*looks at site* Oh yeah. Guess so.

Articles

On May 5, 1856, a cobbled-together regiment of Mexican troops beat back a slew of French soldiers in a little town called Puebla, despite being outmanned, outgunned, everything. It was good for the country's morale, even though they ended up getting occupied in the long run.

Yeah.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

So basically it's just an excuse to get drunk? Sounds good to me.

I don't like Corona's though.

de Mayonnaise? Yummie.
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

happy taco day.

Trust No one

So the French got their asses kicked by a bunch of less-qualified Mexicans? Sounds like the French to me.

For some reason, I thought it was the 8th today. Even though I knew it was the 5th yesterday.

Vamos a hacer una fiesta!!!
    Yo quiero que yo beba muchas cervezas! Yo pienso que Corona es una buena cerveza, entonces, me voy a beber todas de las.
    Gracias.

~##

(。◕‿‿◕。) Recognized Member Jojee's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm so tired. First thing I thought when I saw the thread title was Mayo = sandwhich spread and this is a thread about mayo... even though I saw the thread yesterday already xD

Anyway we always celebrated it in HS when I took Spanish. I think I had Coronas once - or whatever it was, it wasn't nearly as bad as Miller Lite, ewugh.

Wat
    is
    going
    on
    wtf
    rawr

Blog Entries

Most beer is pretty bad. I only drink hard liquor if I want to get drunk quick, otherwise I say, "screw it."

On the other hand, the Cubans here, who have nothing at all to do with Mexico or Mexican culture, are some of the most impressive and outstanding supporters and celebraters (wd?) of Cinco de Mayo.

They make a lot of noise, litter, and clog up traffic and honk their horns all along Cuban-Town, which I often traverse because I live in a crappy neighborhood because I need to spend my money on DSL instead of fancy houses.
    It's a pretty lousy holiday if you're not both stupid and hispanic. You can be hispanic or stupid individually and still find it lousy, in fact.

Bleah, I'm glad it's over. I gotta go down to the slums this weekend and pick up all their crap though. Ugh... Freaking half full bottles of beer piled up to my knees... Some of them don't have beer, you know- It's another, slightly more biological substance that you excrete after consuming too much beer... I can't wait.

Old-Ones Studios Cruise Control's Avatar

I find it funny that people think that Cinco de Mayo is Mexican independence day.
    When in reality it's just the fifth of May. On that day, the mexicans won a battle against France, and it was such a big deal because the French was so superior at that time.
    Leave some shards under the belly
    Lay some grease inside my hand
    It's a sentimental jury
    And the makings of a good plan