Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donnie Darko. Twisted or Predictable?

Default Donnie Darko. Twisted or Predictable?

Right there's a few things I want to mention about this film. In my opinion, it's not really the best film I've ever seen, but it is watchable. But as I've said before about many things, it depends on peoples tastes.

One thing that struck me in the film after watching it like the hundredth time, was the hints at the relationship between Frank and Donnies sister. Did anyone else notice this? :

1: At the start, when the accident happens with the plane propeller thing (don't know the word so don't have a go lol :P), his sister has just returned from a date/going out with a friend. And you hear the car horn.

2: Donnie starts to hallucinate with this big rabbit type creature called Frank, who just all of a sudden starts to show up after this incident.

3: When Donnie's sister finds out she got into Harvard, they hold a party. At this party she asks "Where's Frank" and someone replies that he's gone to get some beer/drink.

4: Donnie and Gretchen aswell as Donnie's two mates go to this place where "cellar door" triggered him to go there. This is where a car comes up and runs over Gretchen, killing her. Out comes some guy who gets called Frank by his friend, and looks exactly like the guy who Donnie see's in his hallucinations and the guy is dressed up in the rabbit costume.

This made me wonder if Frank was in some sort of relationship with Donnie's sister Elizabeth, and was used as a hallucination by coincidence. I don't know whether I'm right it's just a theory. All I know is that Donnie had never seen Frank before in person. It was rather confusing that his name was mentioned by his sister at the party though.

So. What are your thoughts on this film? Did you find it too hard to understand, or was it too predictable and boring. Also if you have any theories about the film about what things mean, please elaborate, as some people do not understand most of the film no matter how hard they try reading into it. =D.
    I'll figure it out later...

It was watchable, but not something I'd go out of my way to see again. Enjoyable though.
    [leeza]Total sig height should not be over 250 pixels, including all text.[/leeza]

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Time travel.

I want to see it.

It was a good film though a little complicated.

A JEDI SHALL NOT KNOW ANGER.
    NOR HATRED.
    NOR LOVE.

I thought it was an excellent movie. And yeah, I'd say it's a combination of time travel plus Donnie's brain being f'ed up.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's very enjoyable.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love this movie.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I loved it and I have to watch it again.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I thought it was great, but I don't try to make sense out of it. Making sense is overrated.

i liked it.
    need to see it again to say whether its amazing

Trust No one

Basic idea of the film.

[spoilers]Frank warns Donnie about him dying when the jet engine falls on him.

Donnie doesn't die.

Life goes on, all sorts of things happen, terrible things like the girl he happens to like dying and whatever, and him killing Frank.

In the end, he goes back in time, somehow, in that giant vortex, finds himself back in bed in the past.

Chooses to die in the crash, the jet engine being sent back in time from the plane which his family were on and would have died in the crash.

Thus by Donnie dying, he prevented all the terrible things he would have caused from happening, since he was messed up already, and saw what would happen, he decided the world would be a better place without him.[/spoilers]

That, my friends, is the story in a nutshell, no complicated junk or excess to it, [spoilers]there is no explanation to the time travel, the cellar door bit is just a sneaky excuse to work up to the scene where the girl Donnie likes dies.[/spoilers]

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Exactly, Lindy. That was my gist of the movie.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

I do get very annoyed when people go on about how complicated it is, and how much symbolism it has.

Yes, it's a good film, but you don't need a degree in philosophy/physics/stupid movies to understand it, you just need to actually WATCH it, rather than watching it after listening to people going on about how complicated it is.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

y r u wearin taht stupid man suit????? omg so profoudn