Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy vs the RPG community

Default Final Fantasy vs the RPG community

Now final fantasy is a very well know rpg series. every rpg fan has played at least ONE final fantasy and probely enjoyed it. Now sure not alot of rpgs get translated to the US but hell we make do with what we get. And all we get is final fantasy and some other rpgs that arent as good.

Now what is some of ur favorite rpgs
    THey an be for any of the system and compare that game to the final fantasy series....

Suikoden series. Especially II.

Suikoden II is the best RPG. EVER.
    lol signature

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Jebus

Suikoden, Lunar, and Breath of Fire are all series that are better than FF and get overshadowed by FF.

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm a Breath of Fire fan, but I have to say they simply are...different. They have another atmosphere. I'm sure there are RPG's better than some Final Fantasy episodes, but I wouldn't say so for every game in the series.

I really think that ARC THE LAD series is..well better then most of them FF....i really enjoyed the way the arc the lad story was continued in all the games..well except the fourth one kkee

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also good are the Xenogears and the Xenosaga series, as well as the Shin Megami Tensei series and the Dragon Warrior series.

I think Tales of Phantasia is better than any Final Fantasy.
    Casteal is my little sister!

Being Who Transcended All Black Mage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cless
    I think Tales of Phantasia is better than any Final Fantasy.
    Cless knows what he's talking about here.

As for series, however, Suikoden and Breath of Fire are both deserving of Final Fantasy's fame.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Werecanary
    I'm a Breath of Fire fan, but I have to say they simply are...different. They have another atmosphere. I'm sure there are RPG's better than some Final Fantasy episodes, but I wouldn't say so for every game in the series.
    The only exception being FFT. The rest are sub-par where other RPGs are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by wuglendei
    Now sure not alot of rpgs get translated to the US but hell we make do with what we get.
    You know, you should really count yourself lucky concerning the amount of RPG's realeased in the US. Especially when you compare it to the number of RPG's the Europeans have to settle for. If it ain't Final Fantasy (and even at that, FFT was not realeased over here), we're lucky to see it.
    Casteal is my little sister!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Yeah, the only place better than the US where RPGs are concerned is Japan itself. We get most of the good stuff. I'm quite satisfied with the amount of RPGs we get - if we got more, I wouldn't play them all, as I already don't play them all. xD

Aww... How dissapointing. I thought I was going to get to fight against Final Fantasy... Bummer!

Aww... How dissapointing. I thought I was going to get to fight against Final Fantasy... Bummer!
    You got that impression from the title too? lol...

I don't think any FF holds a candle to my beloved Xenogears. Even Xenogears' "sequals/prequals" can't compare in my opinion. Finding things that I like more than FFT is fun. The Shining Force series is by far my favorite for "strategy" RPGs. So much more on the fun factor. They don't complicate everything to the point of boredom. Then there's a little known oddity on the Sega Saturn known as Dragon Force which is kind of a strategy RPG. But not like FFT or SF. More of a fantasy war game. But even that doesn't do it justice. No other RPG has had me so addicted... I burned out my Saturn because I played it in like 8 to 12 hour stretches one summer x_X;; And then there is of course Lunar. Final Fantasy may be able to flesh out a character with a lot of personality these days. But Square is so determined to make them complex and deep that it's hard to relate to them anymore. And sometimes it's hard to understand and even like them. With Lunar you knew the characters. You loved the characters. And you almost feel a personal bond with them. Not so much as a player-to-character bond. It's like they could actually be your friends. It's an awesome feeling. And no I'm not insane. They just did that good a job of characterization in my opinion. Grandia is a lot like that. Simple and pleasurable. And last, but not least on my list is Legend of Legaia. Another simple game. Especially in characters. The atmosphere was awesome to me somehow. I'll admit the game itself didn't have much depth. That is... until you get into a fight. My god, I don't think I've ever enjoyed random encounters so much. You can string together moves so devistating and fun it's ... yeah. Awesomeness. And I HATE random encounters. So that's a feat in itself.

i ment to make it that u battle the ff games but i watned to kno what other rpgs liked at first then was goin to convert it to the battle
    where every one picked there fave game and stuff..
    but then i thought about and i was like...how am i gonan do this? and gave up..w00tever...

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebus

Suikoden, Lunar, and Breath of Fire are all series that are better than FF and get overshadowed by FF.
    Ive only played the BoF series but they certainly cant compete with most of the FF titles.Ive passed BoF II, IV,and Im relatively far in V and I but none of them are as good as the FF's Ive played. All in all FF does have a high average quality.
    Last edited by Destai; 05-10-2005 at 11:22 PM.