Thread: Hardtype vs. Easytype

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Hardtype vs. Easytype

When I play a FF IV ROM, how can I undestrand if that one is a Hardtype or an easytype one?
    Are there any uncensored hardtype ROMS on the net?

Thank you. This FF really intrigues me and I don't want to have anything to do with Nintendo America censorship policy. You see, I'm big enough by now.

Once you get to Demon Wall, you will know which type you have.

I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment.

I'm not aware of any fan-translations that used the japanese easy-type as a base. Assuming that, the english easy type calls itself FF2 and doesn't have Cecil's Dark Wave attack.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

There are plenty of differences between Easy Type and the original version, but the lack of many of the characters' special abilities, like Cecil's Darkness Wave, is the most obvious one. That and, you know, the fact that it's a lot easier. There are also differences between Easy Type and the American version that was called FFII, but they're subtler.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

The most obvious one is Zeromus's sprite, but that isn't until the end of the game. In fact, most of the differences between FFIV easytype and FFIIus aren't until later in the game. The ones that spring to mind are:

Zeromus's battle sprite (which I already mentioned)
    The ribbon absorbs elemental fire, ice and thunder
    a sword (I believe mithril) was changed so that it's no longer metal
    weapons placement is a little friendlier
    I think there's some changes in enemies

This is all covered in the URL in the FFI-IV FAQ (FFIV: Everything You Know Is Wrong). It clears up MANY common misconceptions about the games. For example: there IS no FFIV Hardtype. However, calling it Hardtype is actually a VERY good way to distinguish it from Easytype, so don't feel like you have to stop calling it that. It's a perfectly acceptable method of reference.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Than you all. I definitely think I stumbled into an Easytype ROM. If anyone has a Hardtype (or so-called) one, please PM me. I'm having a hard time finding one on the Internet. I also accept suggestions about a good patch, but please no spoofs or such. Just it as it was originally.

You can find the FFIV rom off of EOFF's front site. Here.
    Sigless

You can tell at your first savepoint. Hardtype savepoints look like a kind of symbol, while easytype's are S's.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

You can also just buy Final Fantasy Chronicles.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've got it. But it won't work well on my psx emulator. There seem to be a problem with transparent pixels. So I got myself a Japanese hardtype ROM and J2eTranslations patch. It was pretty hard to find, but totally worth it. Finally a lot of things that just didn't make any sense, now do. Not to speak about Toroia's so-called 'cafe' (I'm convinced it really IS a brothel after all) and the Programmer's Room!