45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gau (Combat Blue)

12 26.67%
  • Strago (Magic Blue)

33 73.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Blue Magic is Blue-ist...

Default Which Blue Magic is Blue-ist...

well... Whos got better blue magic, Gau with his combat style blue magic or Strago with his magic style blue magic?

Personally Gau is my fav out of the two, I just liked how he learned and used it. I found it too hard to teach Strago his blue spells.

What do you guys think?
    The secret to a perfect life: (SPOILER)Play every FF game ever made!

I voted Strago based on the fact that I disliked Gau as a character and never used him unless it was necessary to progress the story.
    Sigless

I couldn't stand Strago, that old man was worthless. It was an inconvenience to get Gau's rages, but he was at least more worth it than Strago. Gau was more powerful, easier to teach, and acquired sooner. Strago was a worthless bugger, the only time I ever used him was to get Hidon.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Strago is an actual Blue Mage. He actually learns Blue Magic. Gau's class in Japan was given as "Wild Boy". His class is unique to the game. He's not a Blue Mage strictly speaking, so I feel that Strago is more blue-er.

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    Strago is an actual Blue Mage. He actually learns Blue Magic. Gau's class in Japan was given as "Wild Boy". His class is unique to the game. He's not a Blue Mage strictly speaking, so I feel that Strago is more blue-er.
    The Term Blue Magic refers to spell/abilities gained form monsters that aren't normal spells/abilities in the game. This then means that Gau does use blue magic, even though it is a different kind.
    The secret to a perfect life: (SPOILER)Play every FF game ever made!

Strago was much more usefull imho, Gau was too inpredictable and most of his skills sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by HackedBlackMage
    The Term Blue Magic refers to spell/abilities gained form monsters that aren't normal spells/abilities in the game. This then means that Gau does use blue magic, even though it is a different kind.
    I disagree. A blue mage is a specific class that learns spells that a monster casts during a battle. I also belive that Blue Magic is specificly the magic that a blue mage learns from the monster in that fashion. I back up my theorum with the fact that Gau can use other types of magics with Rage as well I.E. Fire 2 = Black Magic (Templar), Cure 3 = White (Magic Pot). Therefore I suggest that just because an ability is learned by a monster, that doesn't nessicarily mean it's specification is Blue. That would mean that there's another defining factor, which I briefly described above. Then again, your guess is as good as mine because only a few select Square employees would know. I just happen to think differntly.

Still, even if what I said above happens to be true it doesn't mean that Gau can't use Blue Magic. Quite a few rages use the Lores. Intengir uses Pep Up, Blue Dragon uses Clean Sweep, some of the birds use Areo ect. However, he cannot learn them all. Doom and Hidon never apear on the Veldt so under no circumstances can he use Force Field or Grand Train. Therefore as a Blue Mage, Strago has the upper hand.

Also, since an NPC says that Strago's in training to be a Blue Mage while nobody backs up that fact for Gau I belive Strago's bluer. However, I'll forego the vote because the Blue Magic that Gau learns and the Blue Magic that Strago learns are technically of equal blueness because they're the same spell. *Looks at the topic title*
    Look, I'm a strange person. When I was younger, nothing used to make me laugh any harder then when somebody made fun of me. Unfortunatly for me, my mockers looked at me strangely and stopped when I did this. Go figure.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I say gau. He uses proper useful animal attacks, and we *all* know Blue magic is characterized by usefulness.

Gau was dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by HackedBlackMage
    I found it too hard to teach Strago his blue spells.
    ^^ nah, its pretty simple! stay in a fight with Dark Force (Kefka Tower) and he uses about alll blue magics (kk, he don't uses some like ForceField[DOOM], GrandTrain[HIDON] and 1 or 2 others...)

I prefer the "moping around for kefka"-guy^^

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

The FFVIII strategy guide compared Quistis's Blue Magic skill to Gau. I always thought it was pretty dumb of them to overlook that FFVI has an actual Blue Mage.

Gau's abilities are more useful, but Strago's blue magic is... actual blue magic. I'm abstaining.

strago -- you can control it
    gau's is just random

The FFVIII strategy guide compared Quistis's Blue Magic skill to Gau. I always thought it was pretty dumb of them to overlook that FFVI has an actual Blue Mage.
    Which strategy guide is this?