Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good console RPG, whats good?

Default Looking for a good console RPG, whats good?

Now that summer has kicked in I have a little more time to play games. I need a good "break" game after long sessions of MMO's and I think a console/single player RPG would be the right choice. I currently own a PC and a PS2 but I am not sure what the current good rpgs are. I know its mainly about taste but I still would valuee your opinion.

My favorite RPGs are:
    Final Fantasy Tactics (one of my most favorite stories)
    Final Fantasy VII (one of the few times ive ever cried)
    Chrono Trigger
    Shenmue (if this is an RPG)

I am all about the storyline, graphics and gameplay still need to be there but not as important as the story. I really get sick of childish stories that prance around the same old storylines (eg. Best friend (female) is kidnapped, you need to save her etc. etc) I want a more mature storyline with twists and turns that isnt afraid of offending anyone.

I value everyones opinions, lets just keep it constructive and on point
    Thanks!

I recommend Dark Chronicle and SOTTEOT

If you like storyline, try Kingdom hearts. Yeah, itīs a kiddy.type game, but the storyline is just awesome. Itīs kinda "sad" too, for some reason

The best storyline you'll find will be Xenogears and possibly Xenosaga episode I&II (I cant promise much gameplay though) but theyre storylines are incredible.

Thanks for the replys, Ive been looking at Kingdom Hearts for a while. I downloaded the theme song and it was awesome, but somehow I just cant bring myself to buy a game with mickey mouse and goofy in it.

Xenogears is a game my brother suggested we get since it's release but we just never came around to buying it. Ive heard different stories of how good Xenosaga is but I may just give it a try.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you go the Xeno path, get Xenogears first. Xenosaga will more than likely turn you away from the series. Xenogears is a lot more likely to draw you in and make you want to play through Xenosaga's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu
    If you go the Xeno path, get Xenogears first. Xenosaga will more than likely turn you away from the series. Xenogears is a lot more likely to draw you in and make you want to play through Xenosaga's story.
    Im pretty sure Xenosaga I was a huge sucess. Personally I think it wpuld be cool to play Xenosaga first and then play Xenogears towards the end before Xenosaga wraps up.

The problem with playing xenosaga first is that it is just not a very complete story all on its own. On the other hand xenogears is probably the deepest and most complete game in video game history.

If you play xenosaga first you might at the end kind of wonder what the purpose of that whole thing was for and that you kind of wasted your time playing it. And not really want to continue on with any of the other xenosaga games.

It is only after playing xenogears that you realize that all xenosaga is doing is putting one larger storyline together piece by piece.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I said what I said more because I didn't like a lot of things about Xenosaga, but I played it through because I really wanted to know the story leading up through Xenogears. If the initial interest hadn't been sparked by XG, I most likely would've dropped Xenosaga.

Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Xenogears. Then Xenosaga. Maybe some Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne or Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga.

Oh, and don't let yourself be discouraged by KH having Disney characters in it. It really is a excellent, well put together game, and I love the storyline.

Sparkling Chocobo

Quote Originally Posted by Japairish
    I am all about the storyline, graphics and gameplay still need to be there but not as important as the story.
    Xenogears.

I really get sick of childish stories that prance around the same old storylines (eg. Best friend (female) is kidnapped, you need to save her etc. etc) I want a more mature storyline with twists and turns that isnt afraid of offending anyone.
    Xenogears. Definitely not afraid of offending, definitely unlike anything else you've ever seen.

Afterwards, Xenosaga's story is pretty good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DarK Cha0s

YES! PLAY SHADOW HEARTS!!!!!!!
    http://z4.invisionfree.com/WiFi_Gym_...ex.php?act=idx

Join my wifi gym project. Leader spots are available. Please send me an application.

Quote Originally Posted by DarK Cha0s
    I was just scrolling through this page to see if anyone had suggested these two. Yes yes YES! I am currently playing Shadow Hearts 2 and have almost finished it (I hear there are two different endings) and I HIGHLY recommend at least the Second one (havn't played the orginal)
    This game is amazing, fantastic story, great characters and I love the gameplay. Buy it and you will NOT be dissapointed.

I really get sick of childish stories that prance around the same old storylines (eg. Best friend (female) is kidnapped, you need to save her etc. etc) I want a more mature storyline with twists and turns that isnt afraid of offending anyone.
    Shadow Hearts 2's story-line satisfy's those criteria's easily. There are no rubbish cliche story-twists in it and the twists the storyline takes are jaw-droppingly shocking at times (I found them to be at points anyway, though said points are later on in the game, well in to the first disc)