Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Britons

Default Great Britons

A BBC poll a few years ago revealed that the British public believed that Winston Churchill is the greatest Briton ever. I disagree. I believe what William Shakespeare, Isacc Newton, Issambard Brunel and Chalres Darwin have been far more important to our lives.

Churchill may have 'led' our troops to victory in World War 2, but Darwin came up with the theory of evolution, most of modern day physics stems from Newton's work, and without Shakespeare, the English language (the most spoken language in the world) would be significantly different.

I was wondering if anyone agreed with me, and if there has been similar pools in other countries, such as the USA.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

without Shakespeare we'd not have to do painful weeks of studying plays so comlex it causes horrid stress and loses social time

i agree theres been alot more important brits like he guys who invented football rugby and other sports the brits who have made art made novels games computers food and modules like planes ships and cars!

sport, police, war, language and philosophy Heros they come before churchill

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Maybe we could add Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, David Beckham, Johnny Wilkinson, Steve Redgrave and Kelly Holmes to the Great Briton list!

Summoner of Nessie Brian The Pink Shark's Avatar

3 words John Logie Baird, the invntor of the Joy-Box(TV)

also ALexander Graham Bell inventor of the Telephone

Alexander Flemming- discovered penecilin

Tony Blair- proved that we'd vote for a liar 3 times

and also all these people are Scottish so i get bonus points

don't forget alfred the great he fought of the vikings and burnt some cakes.
    Your sig is too hilarious and witty, thus i have removed it to protect the minds of all forum goers
    -The allways inspiring leeza

oh how silly of me i almost Forgot

Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Wishbone Ash, Sisters of Mercy, Judas Priest, Deep Purple and Radiohead, and many others

How could I forget Logie Baird, he invented the TV in my home town.

How about John Lennon too?

Actually, there's a current contest going on right now in the States which is listing the 100 greatest Americans and most, sadly enough, are celebrities.

Take care all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain
    How about John Lennon too?

Actually, there's a current contest going on right now in the States which is listing the 100 greatest Americans and most, sadly enough, are celebrities.

Take care all.
    thats really crap, i could probably think of 100 great americans that arent celebrities, but im not gonna list them

Banned

actually tony blair isn't scottish........

baird - didn't really invent the tv. it would be like saying that the man who invented the gas light invented the ligh bulb.

bell - arguagbly stole the telephone idea.

darwin - the theory of evoltuion is a little flawed at best.

shakespeare - did not change the english what so ever.

churchil - a truly great war leader

sports heroes? - yeah cos they really changed the way you life your lives.

music people? - yeah cos that's something that is far better than inventors, engineers, genuises and leaderss.

churchil deserves his place near the top. he may not have been the defining reason why we won the war but he was a great war-time leader. he gave inspiration in britains darkest hours and deserves recogintion for that. do not put him beside people who kick a ball for money or play guitar.

books, games and music are not what greatness is about. it's about changing lives, perception, times, ideas or history. brunel, churchil, darwin (though it's got holes), hawkins (i don't trust it though), newton, rommel, geldof, the guy who made the internet (not al gore) , diana (though i don't like her at all.)

there are far greater people than bloody david beckham. get a grip.

actually Tony Blair is Scottish, he wasnt raised in Scotland but he was born in Edinburgh which makes him Scottish

Banned

being born somewhere does not make you that nationality. if my parents where on holiday in china when i was born would not make me chinese.

Banned

Holy crap, I'm agreeing with Cloud 9? Gimme a minute while I look outside the window to check for meteors... When he's not busy calling me a Nazi, he can apparently come up with a couple pretty good ideas....

However, I disagree about the nationality thing. In most nations, if you're born there, you're considered a citizen--that's why there's a big scandal now, where people slip across the US border, get free neonatal care and childbirth services (hospital, doc, etc.), and then since their child was born in the US he or she is a US citizen.

I don't know whether or not Tony Blair was raised there or not, but as far as where he's officially 'from', it's probably where he was born.

Shakespeare changed the english language? he created 3000 english words! was a great writer (will people be forced to read YOUR work in 400 years?) to say he did not effect it is rather blind. Even you know the story of Romeo and Juliet, a 400 year old story if he wasn't so great would you not know it at all? Anyway, Although he is a great briton I don't think he is the best, I think Queen Liz I was.

"NPC: Sorry this house is sealed off because of Blight"

What did she do?