Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VIII Book

Grin Final Fantasy VIII Book

Ever since I played Final Fantasy VIII, I have always wished I could have a book of the amazing storyline. I have waited and waited until someone could atleast make Chapter One of a book called "Final Fantasy VIII". I soon realized Square (now Square-Enix ) will not make a book. I also thought that maybe someone else would. I don't think they would write a book that is actually FFVIII, but moreover a fanfic or something.

I know no one will do it, so I will. I have decided I am going to make the book. This book I will be writing should follow the storyline of Final Fantasy VIII with almost perfection. I am going to put the exact script in there, to make it almost authentic. TO be honest, I am doing this for myself. I want to read it, play the game in my mind as I read some text.

I already have the script done, and now for the daunting task of writing. I am actually having a friend play the game while I take loads of screenshots (He completed the Dollet mission, and I have over 100mb of jpegs.).

First off, I want everyones opinion on this. Should I continue and complete it? Bad idea? What is your opinion. Remember, this should be an almost-exact replica of the game, just paperitized.

Also, I may need some help. I need someone who knows FFVIII in and out. I don't mean a person who has played it once or twice, but a person who has beat it many times, knows the game almost by heart, researched it, etc etc. I mean, thet can recite the storyline to me, tell the the theme of the game, and tell me how many pixels Rinoa takes up on a 17" screen when you are looking at her 37.32 degrees left of her middle fingernail of her right hand and is 4.32 feet away from you.

I may also need someone who is quite creative with words, or someone who can descibe someone or something easily. I tend to read math books, and stuff, so this is a bit of a challenge for me.

If you wish to, I would appreciate an email (quadricode@comcast.net) or an AIM message (Quadricode).

Thanks you!

I think it sounds like a great idea.

The only thing I am worried about, though, is over-dramaticized scenes. One thing I really dislike about 99% of fanfics is that it's usually so gushy it's hard to read.

I would really love to take a look at your work when you write this thing. I love to write but sometimes when I try to explain certain things, the right words don't come out.

There are several things to take into account. For one, walking distance between areas, mini-games, etc. Take for instance, the mission in Balamb later on in the game when it is occupied, and you have to run around back and fourth looking for clues. Would adding miniscule details detere from the plot, and make it feel like something it shouldn't be?

I think certain things must be less detailed. The conversion won't feel smooth if there is too much "squall and gang ran to the dog, then left to the train, then went back, then talked to a soldier.."

I don't know if I can make this clear... I know that it sounds like it will run very smoothly, and it might, but it might also be very difficult to prtray certain things in written form.

It would be really cool if you wrote some of it, and then presented it to the board for opinions, especially if you don't know how to convert certain things from game to writing!

Fetch quests is just one example... How do you portray walking through the dungeon in galbadia garden, with all of the different key-locks, people, and such? You might prefer to alter it a certain way. Also, when it is required to split the team into groups, how will you spit them? When there are certain events with multiple ways to complete them, how will you go about that?

I guarantee there will be some conflicts... so good luck in your conversion; I think it will be more difficult than it sounds! If you need any opinions this board is also here.

Default Agreed

I was thinking about many of the problems you just listed. My only problem is...I don't want to drive away from the game too much. My whole point of it is to feel as if your playing Final Fantasy VIII...or are in the plot atleast by reading.

For battles...There won't be a lot of the battle elements, of course.

As for details, I am a bit worried too. I am the person to list every single facet of something, tell its color, brightness, hue, etc etc. . But, that is something that needs to come down a bit.

And as for portraying things, that is also a challenge. It will be hard to explain Balamb garden...or what a garden is...to a person who has never played.

I know this project would be (very) hard, but I strongly do wish to go through with it. WHen I complete chapter one, and revise (and revise)...I think I will post for opinion.
    Final Fantasy VIII Book
    [ ] :: Currently Writing
    [X] :: On hold
    Why? :: School, studies; have to set
    the priorities. I suppose I am writing
    a bit in small packets of time, but
    not much.

A Perpetual X-Phile ShivaBlizzard8's Avatar

LOL - I did this once! A bunch of years ago I novelized a few chapers - the end of disc 2 and and begining of disc 3 to be exact. Although I took the script from rpgamer.com, I definately tweaked it, changing things here and there, taking some things in a different context, etc. To make something that's interesting to read, you really can't do the script word for word, it won't come across. As long as you stick to the "spirit" of the game, you will feel it when its read, but you'll just find it boring if you stay too close to the original. Then it will just feel like you're playing without the fun of actually playing. Good luck.

There are [in my opinion, too many] fanfics already, that claim to be "the written chronicle of FFVIII" or so ['claim', 'cause I've never read any of them].

I do respect your decision to take on such a huge task.

I would like to say I'm one who knows the game inside out, upside down, but I don't think I am. I'm just obsessed with it.

I did do a great [=long] fanfic almost like it. I told the almost exact story of the game, but with a little twist that after all changed everything. It can be found on fanfiction.net under the pen name Kamrusepas, if anyone's interest. The fic's called Stranger Than Fiction.
    You don't hear the symphony I hear...

Default mmm

I suppose I still don't realize it yet, but I cannot see why the book couldn't follow the original script atleast 95%, and still have goodness in it. I want to stick to Final Fantasy VIII, and not go off in my own direction. I mean, sure, a tweak here or there...but to be honest, I would find more interest in a thing that is close to the...real thing. I don't know. --- Actually, I dont think it will be the script that gives it its 'goodness', I think it is the writing inbetween.

I think this can be a very interesting story, as long as its all worded right. I mean, I can say that what I have written so far sucks beyond reason. I am not that good at describing in a 'non-textbook' style of way.

But, I do wish to give it a shot, and see what turns up. I so badly want to read the story abck to myself :P.

Anyway, what is a fanfic? I don't consider this a fanfic since I am not adding and new story lines, or going off in my own direction...or anything.

Also: I dont like fanfics [under my definition]. Well, maybe there can be good ones, but they would be very hard to find. I think most of them out there are short things teenagers would write in the 5 minutes they have after class [no disrespect given there at all]. But...I just plainly dont like 'em. And that is the reason why I want to create a novelized final fantasy.

---also, ShivaBlizzard8, you dont have your original writing do you?
    Last edited by Quadricode; 05-16-2005 at 08:47 PM.
    Final Fantasy VIII Book
    not much.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Is this going to be written in first, second or third person?

Also be aware that there are some minor branches in the storyline. For example: (SPOILER) When you fight X-ATM092, you can actually destroy it. If you do, you won't see the scene where Quitis finishes it off with the boat's guns.

I think fanfictions are stories based off of existing published stories (movies, novels, etc...) that go beyond the original storyline, written by fans of the original stories.

wow I was just thinking about how ff8 could make a good book. But its four disc's, how long is the book going to be?

I think the most exciting way to represent the (SPOILER)fight against X-ATM092 is the version when Quistis takes out her machine gun on the ship and blows it to hell as you dive onto the ship... don't you?

The really tough decisions is how you represent the party, like when you split up and half your party goes to the (SPOILER)missile base. Who is going with you? Certainly Selphie.. but alone?

When you represent a dungeon, I think it's important you don't go through all of the details of the puzzles, twists and turns of the dungeon to too large of an extent. When traveling through the dungeon with all the locks to open all the different kinds of doors, you might want to simplify it to looking for one lock, after checking the door and finding out it's locked. I think it would detere from the story too much.

The best novelization of FFVIII I have ever seen is "Angel Wings" by Noacat. She took a LOT of liberties with the story, but I must say, absolutely brilliant nonetheless. Anyway, just go for it. It's a great idea, and it sounds like your really into it.
    I've Come Undone

Gwelenguchenkus:
    Mmmm, yes, simplification would be a key part in writing this. But, where is the line [of over simplifying and over clarifying]?

I am just afraid I will over simplify is i simplify, and over clarify if I clarify. With your example: Finding 1 key instead of 100 keys would probably be better, but I would like to represent some struggle...hmm...decisions, decisions.
    I suppose struggle can still be represented, I just dont want it to be...toooo easy.

black shadow:
    How long? Hmm, hard to say. I know when I type it, it will be in the following font and size:

Quistis: Funny? No, no, it's not that! I'm just happy. ...

I think that is pretty accurate..(Book Antiqua, size 11)
    I will have margins of 1" (all the way around).
    With just the script, it is about 220 pages. So, I dont know, I think you can make estimates henceforth.
    (And who knows how long it would be if it were the size of a normal novel.)

BG-57:
    Third person omniscient, I am pretty sure. I am going to try to write the book without those branches. Yeah, it could save me a lot of time taking the ... branched routes...But I want it to somewhat resemble normal gameplay (not a beginner nor advanced). And thank you for that fanfic clarification. I would like to [?officially?] say that this is NOT a fanfic...and maybe most would agree.

Everyone:
    I think I am going to implement the Junctioning system, but I dont know. Maybe a simpler version of it. I know I cant keep track of everything. I am certainly not going to have levels, or anything...or ATB style battles :P. That would be to overwhelming.
    I also have another issue...time representation. How many days do you think the game occurs...from start to finish. Bah...I dont know.
    And as for items, I dont know what to do for an inventory. I cant get item after item, but items are important....this also accounts for spells.

I am sure I can list problem after problem off, but I suppose a lot can be fixed throughout the book.
    Final Fantasy VIII Book
    not much.

I can help out here. I think I know a good deal about FF8, and I have played it many, many times.

As for whether or not you should continue writing it, that depends on how good of a writer you are. If the writing is going to be piss poor, just stop now. If you think you can actually write good, then go for it.

My writing...hmmm...
    I don't know my level of writing. I feel as if I can be cliche sometimes, which I absolutly hate. -- But, I do love to write. I love to write a lot.
    It is not 'piss poor' ( :P ), but I think it could be pretty good after some opinion and revision, of couse. But, others can have thier opinions.

We'll see. -- As for help, nik0tine, I would really ask questions (what wlse would I do?), and thats it. Or clarification...etc etc. But, that would also serve as a huge help . You can PM me..or contact me..or whatever...If you really want to. I mean, if you dont really want to be involved...or anything, you dont have to :P.
    My appreciation is of the utmost stance for those who support this project, and for those who emailed me.
    Final Fantasy VIII Book
    not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadricode
    Everyone:
    I think I am going to implement the Junctioning system, but I dont know. Maybe a simpler version of it. I know I cant keep track of everything. I am certainly not going to have levels, or anything...or ATB style battles :P. That would be to overwhelming.
    Well, you don't have to go into all the details of it in battles if you don't want to (like a GF taking damage for the summoner while it's in the process of being called), but it goes without saying that it would require mentioning and some explanations, as well as mention of the rumour that it causes memory loss, so that might by the time you get to the Orphanage revelation, it won't seem to come out of left field.

I also have another issue...time representation. How many days do you think the game occurs...from start to finish. Bah...I dont know.
    That's a tough call. There are a few times where the game obviously shows us the passage from one night to the next day or suggests it through dialogue, but most of it will have to be your own preference.

Personally, I wouldn't make it last more than a month at the most.

I'm going to e-mail you. You can get any help I may offer. Good luck with this project.
    I love my Carys with all my heart.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Where the clouds part and the truth is revealed: Final Fantasy VII Analysis.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

A Perpetual X-Phile ShivaBlizzard8's Avatar

---also, ShivaBlizzard8, you dont have your original writing do you?
    I do have a chapter or two, which I can post if you like.