Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VIII Book

Quote Originally Posted by Quadricode

Also: I dont like fanfics [under my definition]. Well, maybe there can be good ones, but they would be very hard to find. I think most of them out there are short things teenagers would write in the 5 minutes they have after class [no disrespect given there at all].
    Five minutes? I wrote it for ten months...
    You don't hear the symphony I hear...

ShivaBlizzard8
    It would be cool if you posted something. But I would prefer attaching it as a text file, so this thread doesnt get off topic.

Kamrusepas
    Heh, you know what I meant :P

Squall of SeeD
    I suppose a month is good. I dont know. I guess we will just see how it goes.

Everyone
    A short website should be up about it soon. I will update this reply with the URL when completed. It isnt anything big, just some information, I guess. It will develope. Also, as I said to nik0tine -- only help if you really want to.
    EDIT: ADDED

URL:FFVIII Book Project Official Site (I hope you know what I mean by "official".)
    Last edited by Quadricode; 05-17-2005 at 07:20 AM. Reason: updated URL
    Final Fantasy VIII Book
    [ ] :: Currently Writing
    [X] :: On hold
    Why? :: School, studies; have to set
    the priorities. I suppose I am writing
    a bit in small packets of time, but
    not much.

A Perpetual X-Phile ShivaBlizzard8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quadricode
    ShivaBlizzard8
    It would be cool if you posted something. But I would prefer attaching it as a text file, so this thread doesnt get off topic.
    You got it. I have a lot more drafted, incuding a chunk of the first disc and the entire basketball court scene, but this is the only part I ever really finalized. Enjoy, but please don't steal without permission - although I never planned on doing anything with this, I am a professional writer in training, so I like to keep tabs on where my work goes.

Some Notes:
    *Just looking at this now, the "text" format took out things like italics, which I used to defereniate inner thoughts. Anything that sounds like dialogue but is not in quotations you can assume is being thought internally by the character.

*Although I "finalized: this section in terms of scenes, dialogue, description, etc, it is by no means a final draft, with everything properly spellchecked or repeated words thesaurused. Just be aware.

*I basically stuck to the main script, but I changed some things, and took creative liscense with others (for example, there's one scene between Zell and Rinoa that I did differently which was originally in a different part of the game with different dialogue that I think works better how I did it.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ShivaBlizzard8; 05-18-2005 at 04:16 AM.

ShivaBlizzard8
    MmmMMmMm, That was quite nice ShivaBlizzard8.

Heh, no need to worry of me stealing pieces, nor will I distribute it.

I also...".doc"ed the .txt, much nicer. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Anyway, I briefly looked at it, eager to make a reply here, and get some messages sent off.

Squall of SeeD
    One month seems correct. There was a thread somewhere on these forums talking about length of games relative to time. They seemed to agree, 3-4 weeks.

Everyone
    I would like to say, 'official' drafting has been started. Very hard process, but nonetheless, absolutly fun.
    Describing a fight is harder than it looks. :P
    Also, I decided to write on paper, because I can articulate ideas best there, instead of a computer. I dont know, something about bright sunlight on white notebook paper makes everything easier.
    I think I will try to get ahold of a scanner, so I can scan my work in for my staff member(s) to read.

``Quad
    Final Fantasy VIII Book
    not much.

No problem.

And good luck - I'm interested to see what you come up with.

That was very good, Shivablizzard8. I read roughly half of it.

I like how, when infiltratiing galbadia garden, you took a different approach in writing. Instead of describing the party unlocking doors or even simplifiying the matter, you brought up the strategy "we could ask some of the people in the garden for keys" (sorry for the horrible paraphrasing x_x) and then you break to a conversation with Raijin and Fujin, who then end up being interrupted by Squall and gang late in the conversation, which I thought was a brilliant way to bypass pointless dungeon crawling details.

send your idea to square-enix...if it's good enough...maybe you should do it

but overall, i say don't...unless for your own satisfaction or maybe you can invite people to review it to publish it or whatever the process may be

you make the final decision so there....your choice

BackRoomKid
    Blahaha, probably. It does seem somewhat selfish to keep it all away. I know, on my site, I will post paragraphs, exerpts, etc etc.

And when I am done, maybe, I will send to Square-Enix. But, generally, I don't like to look this far into it. I think that is unimportant right now . But, we will certainly see!

Everyone
    I wonder when the completion time will be. I always was thinking a year, but some things take several years. Again, I don't know.

slaps myself
    Meh, nevermind that. I always think into the future with things, which I think is bad. >_< No need to worry about time...

I think I will soon post an excerpt of what I have written. And I want hard, indifferent? critiqueing (spelling..)...I dont want..."It sucks"...I want..."This is how you can improve it"

But, anyway, I think I will post that one excerpt here (and on my site, to those who are loyal visitors ). Maybe even the full Chapter One! Wow, thats a lot...
    [I am not a sharing person , I never went to preschool, so I never learned to share.]
    ==================================
    [to avoid a double post]
    This here just gives me the chills about the project,
    http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/
    Look at the trailer.

Now, dont let this distract the main topic of discussion , but that was an extemely good representation of CC. Even 3D-ized. Yet, Square-Enix shut it down. I found that sad, and wrong.

Lets assume I am 90% done, and the book is absolutly...wonderful [thus far]...I wouldnt want Square-Enix to hax0rz me, and shut me down.
    I doubt it'll happen, but know knows
    Last edited by Quadricode; 05-18-2005 at 07:44 AM.
    Final Fantasy VIII Book
    not much.

I wouldn't worry about a cease and desist letter coming your way, Quad. There's a vast difference between attempting to remake a game for the same venue that it was originally in without Square's permission, and writing your own idea of how the story went in novelized format. The intellectual copyright to this particular interpetation of things is yours. Naturally, you couldn't get it published or sell it, but you can write it and put it on a site just fine.

Otherwise, Square would have a few thousand FanFic authors across the Internet they could see in a courtroom for their attempts at novelizing everything from Final Fantasy VII to Chrono Trigger to Metroid.
    I love my Carys with all my heart.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Where the clouds part and the truth is revealed: Final Fantasy VII Analysis.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

mmm, yeah probably....Its 2:15 a.m., I think I will be off to write a little more, then go to bed. bah

[sorry for this short and meaningless post]

But, please, everyone continue!
    Final Fantasy VIII Book
    not much.

I'd like to volunteer for one or two of the openings. Do I email you or....?
    You don't hear the symphony I hear...

My dream will never fade! MoonZapdos's Avatar

Nice idea. I agree with everything except that FFVIII has a great storyline. =\

Maybe it would be a good idea if you read a one or two already made novelisations of FFVIII before you start writing? That way you can see how they develop the storyline and characters and go along with the storyline? It might help your writing. I suggest reading 'The Gunblade Saga' by Peptuck. It's probably th best novelisation of FFVIII I have read.

Sorry if someone else has already given you this advice. But good luck will your writing

Quote Originally Posted by Gwelenguchenkus
    That was very good, Shivablizzard8. I read roughly half of it.
    I like how, when infiltratiing galbadia garden, you took a different approach in writing. Instead of describing the party unlocking doors or even simplifiying the matter, you brought up the strategy "we could ask some of the people in the garden for keys" (sorry for the horrible paraphrasing x_x) and then you break to a conversation with Raijin and Fujin, who then end up being interrupted by Squall and gang late in the conversation, which I thought was a brilliant way to bypass pointless dungeon crawling details.
    Thanks!
    It's that kind of situation where I feel that any kind of novelization needs to deviate a bit, because you really can't read, "well then they searched through rooms for about an hour and hacked some random monsters while collecting items and gil," because that would happen constantly, IMOH. But I'm glad you enjoyed it. Maybe someday I'll fininish.

Kamrusepas
    Email, yep! I check my email more than by PMs. Also, if youdo have AIM, I am on that often. Heh, 7 openings...doubt any will be taken soon :P

Rusty
    That is what I was thinking. But, also, I dont want to absorb others ideas too much . [which i tend to do]

MoonZapdos
    Everyone has opinions, and I do not wish to start a debate on this . But I think the story has the elements to make a great book. I would do VII or IX, but, I got into VIII first .

Everyone
    I think I will be getting a scanner soon And if I do get one, I'll upload within the next week. Heh, I do not wish to type it up yet.

otherwise, nothing else I can think of to say/update on right now.
    Final Fantasy VIII Book
    not much.