Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So did Anakin fullfill the prophecy and bring balance to the force

Default So did Anakin fullfill the prophecy and bring balance to the force

So do you think after seeing the entire six movies that Anakin truly was the chosen one and did bring balance to the force. Or was Luke the real chosen one.

Also the mother that Leia was telling Luke about in Return of the Jedi must not have been Padme after all. The mother that Leia was thinking about must have been Bail Organa's(think that is his name)wife.

If so, I wonder why Luke would have been told that the people who raised him were not his real parents but not Leia.

And just on a side note. That was one mighty swipe of the lightsaber that Obi Won gave Anakin to be able to cut off an arm and two legs with a single swing. Wow. How come Obi didn't kick Anakin's butt earlier in the contest if he would have been able to beat him that easily.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I think Anakin was the chosen one, and he fulfilled the prophecy by (SPOILER)killing Palpatine / Darth Sidious. After that, he died too, and so all the Sith were gone. As for the confusion of parents, I watched Return of the Jedi today, and I still don't know whether Leia was referring to Padmé or Mrs. Organa. Luke was quite clearly trying to ask about Padmé, though.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

For a long time, at any one time, there were two Sith and a whole bunch of Jedi. At the end of RotS, there are two Sith and two Jedi. I'd say he certainly did fulfill the prophecy. Like Yoda said, the Jedi just misinterpreted what "balance to the Force" meant.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Anakin wasnt the Chosen One. Luke was, and Luke brought balance to the Force.

edit: Kishi has a good point though. The Jedi assumed balance would be in their favor, but whose to say whether it is or not.

Luke was taken in by his Aunt and Uncle, so there was no reason to say they were his parents. He was with family, while Leia was not, and Bail chose to raise her as his own. It would probably be less suspicious this way.

Obi-Wan won at the end because he finally gained the upper hand. He didnt hav ethe upper hand the entire time. Plus, he may have been holding back. He cared for Anakin very much, so it was hard for him to strike down his friend.

I'd say that he did bring balance to the force. He killed all the Jedi, and then killed all the sith. As Kishi said, the Jedi don't seem to understand the meaning of balance.

Then his son had to screw it up by living past the RotJ.
    Sig under construction.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I always thought the Jedi's definition of "balance" was a bit off myself. Good to see I'm not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    For a long time, at any one time, there were two Sith and a whole bunch of Jedi. At the end of RotS, there are two Sith and two Jedi. I'd say he certainly did fulfill the prophecy. Like Yoda said, the Jedi just misinterpreted what "balance to the Force" meant.
    This is exactly what I thought. he brought order, just not the kind they thought. He evened out the Sith and the Jedi.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    That's what I always thought. Luke was The Chosen One Mk. II.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think kishi and Seph99 are both correct. The Jedi misinterpreted the prophesy, which led to the balance in numbers of Jedi/Sith, but also Anakin was the one who eventually wiped out the Sith. It could be taken both ways.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Something to consider:

While Yoda and Obi-Wan were the last "official" Jedi of the Republic, those with Jedi powers still existed. There were even those working for the Emperor who had been trained in the Jedi arts.

I don't think the "balance" was the reduction of the Jedi to two individuals. I think the balance comes about after Anakin/Darth Vader kills Palpatine in Ep 6. By leaving only Luke, who is not like the Jedi of old, Luke, IMO, is the balance of the force. So Anakin brought the balance by:

1) Being the father of Luke
    2) Killing off all the Jedi, and later the last of the Sith, leaving only Luke
    Jason

anakin was the chosen one, and he did bring balance to the force. its not an opinion, if you think it was luke, your wrong. not only did anakin kill all the light jedis, but he killed all the sith, including himself. although, he wouldnt have done it without luke, fo sho, but it was definately him who did it, and he saved lukes life doing it too.

While Yoda and Obi-Wan were the last "official" Jedi of the Republic, those with Jedi powers still existed. There were even those working for the Emperor who had been trained in the Jedi arts.
    Like Kyle Katarn and the seven dark jedi, with thier sinister plot to uncover the ancient jedi burial grounds. hahahahahaha

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I also thought the prophecy meant what Kishi said. However, I think it was said somewhere that the restoring of the balance did mean the destruction of the Sith. That's because the Jedi were using the Force for knowledge and defence, while the Sith were trying to manipulate it and use it for power. It's a bit why I believe FFVII SpoilersLifestream/Holy only destroyed Jenova because it was outside the Planet, but it left humans and other creatures intact because they were a part of the Planet. It's all about interpreting, really, and only Lucas and co really know which way they meant the prophecy to be.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Quote Originally Posted by darkchrono
    So do you think after seeing the entire six movies that Anakin truly was the chosen one and did bring balance to the force. Or was Luke the real chosen one.

Also the mother that Leia was telling Luke about in Return of the Jedi must not have been Padme after all. The mother that Leia was thinking about must have been Bail Organa's(think that is his name)wife.

If so, I wonder why Luke would have been told that the people who raised him were not his real parents but not Leia.

And just on a side note. That was one mighty swipe of the lightsaber that Obi Won gave Anakin to be able to cut off an arm and two legs with a single swing. Wow. How come Obi didn't kick Anakin's butt earlier in the contest if he would have been able to beat him that easily.
    Okay, last one before I go to bed...seriously this time..and I'll be much more brief too ....
    As for the prophecy, I already covered the logic behind that in a different thread.. I'm too tired to figure out how to link to it here though... but yes, no doubt Anakin fulfilled the prophecy.

As for the whole Leia and her mom thing...that was one of a bunch of little plot inconsistency errors Lucas has admitted to over the years. Another small one comes when Obi-Wan's spirit is talking with Master Yoda, trying to convince him to train Luke. During the plea, Obi-Wan says that Yoda trained him in the ways of the Force... clearly an error, as we've all seen Liam Neeson's amazing Qui-Gonn Jinn performance (Note: there are some that'd argue that this isn't TECHNICALLY an error, as at the very end of Episode 3 Yoda does set Obi-Wan on the path to learning how to become one with the force in death, a technique he'd learned from Qui-Gonn (who learned it from Whill shaman in turn- it's deleted scenes stuff ).

As for the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel..... next to the Mace/Palpatine duel, that was the scene I worried would mislead people the most, due to how it's potentially interpreted from the movie representation. You see, Obi-Wan couldn't beat Anakin at all, in a fair fight. If you watch the movie closely, you'll notice that in the course of that entire duel, Obi-Wan is basically back-pedaling in order to lessen Anakin's attacking prowess during at least 80% of the battle. Obi-Wan himself even admits to Anakin as he's leaving to search out General Grievous that Anakin is a more powerful Jedi than he could ever even dream of becomming. By the start of Episode 3 the hierarchy of potency in the Jedi ranks isn't completely clear, but there are certainly three that stand out head and shoulders above the rest: Yoda, Mace Windu and Anakin. Obi-Wan would be fourth, for sure, but how the top three would be ranked is a bit hard to tell. Yoda is just above Mace, but it's hard to tell where Anakin would rank, as he hasn't reached his full potential at this point (and indeed never does as a Jedi- nor as a 50%+ robotic Sith in all actuality). Another complicating factor in the equation is the fact that in this movie when Anakin achieves his greatest power/ skill levels, he's clearly acting on emotion and thus dabbling into the Dark Side of the force. He DOES mop the floor with Dooku, who earned a draw with Yoda in episode 2, so one could argue that Anakin is tops in the Jedi ranks at this point. However, as stated, he's acting on his anger when he does so, which makes him stronger... this is made quite clear in the official script as well... anyways, I'm getting too in-depth and off topic, so I'll just stop there with that.. at least for now.
    Ultimately, the point is that Obi-Wan could never hope to defeat Anakin, had it not been for the topographical advantage he enjoyed. Again, the script makes the high ground advantage he gains much more of a point, whereas the screen interpretation makes it look like he's simply 5 or so feet higher up than Anakin ( I consider this one of those little plot errors again). As for that swing of his, Anakin basically is cocky and pig-headed and jumps right into it..... QUICK sidenote... one I'm sure any Darth Maul fans'll agree with- this is QUITE annoying to me.. that Obi-Wan seizes the high ground advantage by reacting and cutting into an aerial opponent.... recall the end of episode 1, where Darth Maul has Obi-Wan in the disadvantageous position. As Obi-Wan jumps, uses the force to seize Jinn's lightsaber, flips in mid-air, lands, catches and ignites the lightsaber and FINALLY cuts Maul in-half, all Maul supposedly can do is turn around and put out this silly look (looks like 1 part surprised, 3 parts constipated and trying to push to me ). Now Obi-Wan was in much more dire straits than Anakin, and he took much longer to carry out his attack... so how in the WORLD could Maul not have the reaction capabilities to ignite his darn lightsaber and let Obi-Wan split himself right down the middle?! lol... it is just absurd... ANYONE could have reacted to that, at least had time to get their saber ready to go again...but having "Jedi reflexes" is a BASE ability to even recognize if someone can be trained as a Jedi... Maul was taking on TWO Jedi at the same time and mopping the floor with them (while he WAS the one travelling backwards and thus in the defensive postion, one of those Jedi was constantly getting a boot to the face or torso ). You obviously need better than average reflexes to do this... so what happened to said reflexes when Obi-Wan took 7 years to do his circus thing and kill him? lol.. no one has to answer... just frustrated me that such a great villain could be sacrificed to such an anti-climactic and indeed laughable end.
    Good day to all... I'll try and get back on here this afternoon to check in

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Yoda is involved in the training of all Jedi... he's the teacher of the Initiate classes, as we see in Episode II. Obi-Wan was most likely trained in a clan (we see the Bear Clan in AotC) by Yoda as an Initiate, and then when he was of age to become a padawan (13 is the average age) he was taken on as a student by Qui-Gon Jinn.