Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wii (codename Revolution) revealed

Must change name: NikoKun Tidus Andronicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior
    dude, cartridges are retarded for so many different reasons, so id much rather have a downloaded version of the game then a cartridge.
    Dude, don't insult cartridges! lol They were what got us where we are today! lol Yea, they might take up space, and when they were used, they were limited by memory... but these days, cartridges could well rival disc storage systems, if that was where the technology was focused on!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakor TheBlue Rider
    $1 for nes
    $2-3 for Snes
    $5 for N64
    I believe this is very very reasonable price! Especially considering the games are old, and easilly available elsewhere for free.
    Besides, when has Nintendo EVER let us down and charged us too much for anything? lol They have always been known to be much more affordable than any other major game company! lol
    Wii Friends Code: 1253-3744-4913-5203
    AKA: NikoKun

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Tidus Andronicus
    dude, cartridges are retarded for so many different reasons, so id much rather have a downloaded version of the game then a cartridge.
    Dude, don't insult cartridges! lol They were what got us where we are today! lol Yea, they might take up space, and when they were used, they were limited by memory... but these days, cartridges could well rival disc storage systems, if that was where the technology was focused on!
    Cartridges were the best. There so much easier to manage than memory cards.
    Regardless the cost of downloading, i will do it.

Blog Entries

Hmm. I suppose that is a good point.

...Let's go back to the "Free" thing. (lol)

Edit: I was replying to the post before Zelda's. ^_^;
    Last edited by KentaRawr!; 06-01-2005 at 03:57 PM.

FFXIV Character

Gamina Condoin (Sargatanas)

well i havnt bought a nintendo product since.... snes... so meh.

its not that N64 or Game Cube was expensive, but either my freinds had one or there just wasnt any games i wanted badly enough.

THe new Zelda looks awsoem but im thinking i might just wait till revolution comes out then play the new GC zelda on the revolution

Yah I pritty much Follow whatever System gets Final Fantasy.... I'm a whore like that...

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Nakor TheBlue Rider
    well i havnt bought a nintendo product since.... snes... so meh.

its not that N64 or Game Cube was expensive, but either my freinds had one or there just wasnt any games i wanted badly enough.

THe new Zelda looks awsoem but im thinking i might just wait till revolution comes out then play the new GC zelda on the revolution

Yah I pritty much Follow whatever System gets Final Fantasy.... I'm a whore like that...
    Noo! The new Zelda is not to be missed!
    No games you wanted bad enough? Have you ever played Phantasy star online episode 1 & 2!? Thats the best friggin game ever!!

Lintu RAcaseal lv 87

Quote Originally Posted by Zelda
    cartridges are so lame though! for one thing, there damn expensive. for another thing, after a while, you have to annoyingly blow on the bottom to get it to work. and even farther after that, the memory battery thing blows out, and you cant save your game anymore. really, comparing cartridges to CDs is like comparing DVDs to VHS. (VHS being cartridges)

Articles

But like DVDs and disk-based games, cartridges don't scratch and easily break, rendering your purchase a waste. In addition, you don't have to suffer through the load times when playing cartridge games. Moreover, you can't save games on disks due to them being unwritable, so you have to resort to a memory card, which is essentially the same save method used in cartridges when you consider that there's a battery running the memory card. Only with cartridges you don't have to buy the extra memory card (though as evidenced by the N64 that option is definitely available). Finally, in most cases, faulty cartridges are often in fact caused by a problem on the console side of things (especially in the NES) and don't have to do with the actual cartridge, and really, I don't remember ever having to blow in the bottom of an N64 cartridge to get it to work. The NES, sure. SNES? Sometimes.

I'm not arguing that developers should go back to the cartridge, but let's not completely neglect to mention the pros and offer only the cons.

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

Encapsulated EPROM is very hard to scratch and break.

Internal Flash memory is likewise.

Must change name: NikoKun Tidus Andronicus's Avatar

cartridges are so lame though! for one thing, there damn expensive. for another thing, after a while, you have to annoyingly blow on the bottom to get it to work. and even farther after that, the memory battery thing blows out, and you cant save your game anymore. really, comparing cartridges to CDs is like comparing DVDs to VHS. (VHS being cartridges)
    Those old big cartridges weren't so great... but you really weren't supposed to blow into them like that, it just makes it worse.lol Though, I've never experianced a battery dying like that. =/
    I still maintain that if a company was to use cartridges these days, they would be small, thin, last a long time, and would definantly have enough memory space to compete well with today's disc based games. Solid-state memory has advanced a lot since the old Nes days.
    Of course I'm not saying discs aren't great either, they ended up costing less for the times when cartridges weren't advancing... But the technology these days could make cartridges more useful... but who needs them for now? We got things like Blue-ray!
    Just don't dis cartridges!
    Wii Friends Code: 1253-3744-4913-5203
    AKA: NikoKun

Blog Entries

Hmm...well, Cartridges are pretty Durable, as I have heard. And alot of Cartridges allow you to save right on them. On the other hand, Cartridges cannot hold as much Data as CD's can.

But, even though CD's can hold alot of Data, they can easily be broken. And Save Files cannot be saved on them.

If you are careful though, the Discs probably won't get scratched. And if you buy a Memory Card, you will be able to save. (Talking about Video Game Systems, of course.)

P.S. Not meant to sound rude or anything similar to that, but weren't we talking about the Revolution?

download the old nintendo, YES finaly i can finish Kid icarus.
    Your sig is too hilarious and witty, thus i have removed it to protect the minds of all forum goers
    -The allways inspiring leeza

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Yes that is true, but how many times have you had to check every single memory card to find one file? We Have 5 memory cards full of game files. And some games take up like.. 20 blocks?
    Cartridges are better, i dropped Fzero down the stairs and geuss what?
    It didnt smash like a cd would.

Quote Originally Posted by kentarou
    P.S. Not meant to sound rude or anything similar to that, but weren't we talking about the Revolution?
    Its still relevant.. kindof..

FFXIV Character

Gamina Condoin (Sargatanas)

OMG, i accidently Started a Cartrage Vs Disc WAR!!! ROFL!!!

Anyways i was saying that if im gonna pay a lot to download old games then i want them on Disc or on Cartrage so that i can use them later even if i decide to format or whatever my Hard Drive for my Revolution and not have to purchase them again for download.

I deffinatly do Not want to be Buying Zelda OOT for $30 more than once just for a download... i can go buy the N64 version and an N64 for That price....

Although in retrospect Nintendo does usually have reasonable prices, except concerning Portable Game Devices, and so im sure the downloadable content will be priced reasonably.

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

The biggest problem with cartridges: cost. Flash/EEPROM costs far more than any disc. It costs less than $1 USD to stamp and print a CD/DVD, (that holds up to 9GB) while it would cost far more to have a 9GB flash chip. (thing about how much a 1GB flash drive costs these days)

Flash is just not cost effective and practical for storing high capacity games.

OMG, i accidently Started a Cartrage Vs Disc WAR!!! ROFL!!!
    There is no war. There cannot be. Embedded memory is not practical given current game capacities. End of story.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

[strike]While the downloading of old game features is nice, we already can in the form of ROMs and emulators (oh wait, that's illegal)[/strike]

I think Nintendo will be the next company to be bought out. They can't keep releasing these consoles, sooner or later, it will be a hand-held system maker, and nothing else. but that's what they've always been good at.

I believe PS3 will win this generation.