Page 1 of 23 12345671121 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wii (codename Revolution) revealed

Articles

Default Nintendo Wii (codename Revolution) revealed

Nintendo's Revolution

(Nintendo's server seems to be taking a big traffic hit and may be a little on the slow side)

The subimage on the left shows the size of the Revolution in comparison to a standard-sized compact disk, while the right subimage shows its size comparative to a human hand (which is removing the Revolution from it's "dock"-like thing).

Here are the essential details as determined by me:

Aesthetics (see above)
    For what will be infinitely more important than anything for many people, the Revolution sports a very, very compact, slim, sleek, "modern" appearance. It's much more simple in design than either of its competitors' new consoles, but it's equally as pleasing to the eye (or moreso), in my opinion.

Two disc formats, one slot, backwards compatability
    Instead of a tray, a single, innovative, self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs [giving access to the entire GameCube library for all players]. Owners will have the option of equipping a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content.

In addition, during the part of the article about the backwards compatability with the GC, the paragraph ended with: "But there's more..." What's in store?

An even bigger library via downloadable content
    The console also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).

Gaming sans wires
    A number of Wi-Fi-enabled launch titles are in development that will employ Nintendo’s newly announced wireless gaming service, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment.

Oh yeah, and...

Nerd tech stuff
    The system boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, wireless controllers, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi access. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment. Revolution’s technological heart, a processing chip developed with IBM and code-named "Broadway," and a graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," will deliver game experiences not previously possible.

In another paragraph, it's made known that there will be a slot for an SD memory card so that players can expand the internal flash memory of their machine.

As far as I've found, there have been no more specific specs released to the public yet (i.e. main processor speed etc.)

For more pictures, or for more details on the new piece of Nintendo hardware, click the link at the top of the post to see the full article on Nintendo's website.
    Last edited by Sepho; 08-25-2005 at 06:20 AM. Reason: image updated

Guess all major companies have consoles now
    My bets on PS3 to win
    Its a more powerful machine than both Xbox 360 and Nintendo Revolution

Downloading old Nintendo games? AWESOMENESS.

I'm also hearing something about an online Super Smash Brothers at launch. DOUBLE AWESOMENESS.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I'm really a bit disappointed in Nintendo. They keep bragging they're going to "revolutionize" things and focus on innovation. They're really not doing any such thing. Sure, it's cool you can download old Nintendo games, but that's not exactly a revolutionary idea. They said they're not going to focus on graphical enhancements, and I read on IGN that the Revolution was 2-3 times more powerful than the GameCube, while the PS3 is 30-35 times more powerful than the PS2. It seems to me Nintendo is going to get left in the dust. Mario is getting way overused, and they can't pop out new Zelda or Metroid games every few months. Also, is this going to include every game made for a Nintendo console, or just first party titles?

They're saying that the downloads are not the revolution's... revolution. We haven't seen the controllers yet, so most people are assuming it will have something to do with that. Also, I really wouldn't trust any "x more powerful" calculations that float around. We won't know until we get actual, empirical, statistics.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Looks good to me, I guess you cant play GC games in the new console but I think this one will be more cheap than a PS3..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

The revolution will be backwards compatible with the GCN. Its cargo bay will be able to read the GC's mini-DVDs, along with whatever newfangled game medium they made up.

I think Nintendo's gonna have to work really hard if they want to stand a chance in the next-gen consol race.

Sure there will always be the Nintendo fanboys, but Nintendo's going to have to really "revolutionize" gaming if they want people to but their system instead of Microsoft's or Sony's.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Well, if Revolution is a revolutionary cheap console i think they may stand a chance in the next-gen consol race.
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Still no controllers. I need to see the controllers before making a verdict. All this touch-pad rumor crap is getting me antsy. Hopefully, they'll have at least one playable demo of the big R tommorow.

Edit: Two things. First, those of you who have the April issue of Game Informer, in the article Game Infarcer, they made a crack that "the Revolution will be able to stand on it's side or horizontally"(not an exact quote). Just found that kind of wierd.
    Secondly, I wonder if they'll have all of the classic games, or just the good ones. I'm not sure many people knew of Kid Icarus and Maniac Mansion.
    Last edited by Xalioniaf; 05-18-2005 at 02:28 AM.

Hide your wallet The Shoeless Hobo's Avatar

Default Nintendo Revolution.

Nintendo's compact next-generation home console, code-named Revolution, is the size of three stacked DVD cases and will play both standard 12-centimeter optical discs and Nintendo GameCube discs in a self-loading media bay. Due in 2006, the Wi-Fi-enabled, ATI-powered system also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for all of the past Nintendo systems.

Some of the system features that wowed the crowd at the Electronics Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles include:

* The cool look: The new console boasts high-quality materials and a smart, compact design, approximately the size of three standard DVD cases stacked together. A variety of prototype colors are being showcased during E3. It will come with a silver stand that makes the system a welcome, artistic component of any multimedia setup, whether it's displayed vertically or horizontally.
    * Backward compatibility: The new console plays all games from the current Nintendo GameCube generation.
    * The secret weapon: The console also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).
    * Easy expansion: A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory.
    * Two disc formats, one slot: Instead of a tray, a single, innovative, self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs. Owners will have the option of equipping a small, self-contained attachment to play movies and other DVD content.

The specs:

The system boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, wireless controllers, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi access. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment. Revolution's technological heart, a processing chip developed with IBM and code-named "Broadway," and a graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," will deliver game experiences not previously possible.

The stars:

Introduction of a number of new franchise properties will add to the world's richest stable of stars, including Mario, Zelda, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong and Metroid.

Wireless freedom:

A number of Wi-Fi-enabled launch titles are in development that will employ Nintendo's newly announced wireless gaming service, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. A worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting environment.

Freedom of design:

A dynamic development architecture equally accommodates both big-budget, high-profile game "masterpieces" as well as indie games conceived by individual developers equipped with only a big idea.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

These threads are also now in fact merged.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Sepho
    An even bigger library via downloadable content
    The console also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).
    I know now that for the first time since SNES, there will be a Nintendo system I must, and will, own.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    These threads are also now in fact merged.
    Maybe I didn't pick the most attention-grabbing thread title

Feel free to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azar
    I'm really a bit disappointed in Nintendo. They keep bragging they're going to "revolutionize" things and focus on innovation. They're really not doing any such thing. Sure, it's cool you can download old Nintendo games, but that's not exactly a revolutionary idea. They said they're not going to focus on graphical enhancements, and I read on IGN that the Revolution was 2-3 times more powerful than the GameCube, while the PS3 is 30-35 times more powerful than the PS2. It seems to me Nintendo is going to get left in the dust. Mario is getting way overused, and they can't pop out new Zelda or Metroid games every few months. Also, is this going to include every game made for a Nintendo console, or just first party titles?
    Your so Correct