Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Agree...?

i disagree on numbers 1, 2, 5, and 6. a see-trhough world map or a small globe to the side should never be left out! placing markers on Final Fantasy XI is great, but i hate having to find where i'm at by going to Menu first.

1. I've never played X and X-2 so i don't know if i like voice acting.

2. I liked the card game, but it was quite annoying to get ALL of the cards (almost impossible without a walkthrough) and I always tend to want everything available in a game. Maybe they should add a mini-game like those at ICQ, they're addictive as hell...

3. see 1.

4. Agreed (i think, see1.).

5. see 1.

6. Agreed. Or maybe a "human" villain with a superhuman force behind him...

7. Agreed. Changing your party really should make a difference.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    Quote Originally Posted by DMKA
    Get rid of voice acting? Whatever.

If technological advances bother you THAT much, then for smurfs sake just quit playing games, or shut up and play the games that meet all your prissy little specific standards. My god.
    Can I get an amen?
    Amen!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

1. I like them. Maybe you should use the mute button.

2. Card games are fun.

3. I don't have a problem with the current graphics.

4. Yes! I really like a world map.

5. I'd rather have brand new games, but if a certain sequel really bothers me then I just won't play it. The fact that it exists is a silly thing to get worked up over.

6. Human villians are better because we can identify with them.

7. I also like when the classes are more defined. FFX was like that for most of the game, but eventually if you levelled enough you could get everyone everything. Best of both worlds.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by cal113
    Ok so this is something I've wanted to do for a while to see if everyone's on the same wavelength as me. This list is a list of things I would love to welcome back into the final fantasy series, would hope i never see again, or things that just should be....anyway here goes...

1. First of all I hope they eliminate VOICE ACTING. I hate it and felt it destroyed FFX/X" in parts which could have been so much more atmospheric without the voice overs.

2. I would love if they brought back a card game. Preferably one like VIII's, a simple addictive game with rewarding prizes. The concept on IX's was good but I didn't like the way you had to develop the cards.

3. I realise I'm probably on my own with this but I woulod welcome back gladly fixed camera/pre-rendered graphics. The fully polygraphic graphics are nice but jus didn't do it for me. IX's, I felt, where so much nicer to look at.

4. Bring back the WORLD MAP. As in one you can roam freely around.

5. Enough with direct sequels. I'm referring strictly to X/X2. The revisiting of the same areas in the sequel was utterly dissapointing and hope it never happens again. With VII's sequels/prequels they seem to be learning, ie. Dirge of Cerberus is looking more along the lines of Devil May Cry than FFVII. I feel in order to make a sequel work in this series the game has to practically feel lke a genuinly different game.

6. The villian should be HUMAN. Kefka=Funny but Evil, Sephiroth=Frightning, Edea/Sorcerers=Menacing, Kuja=Evil, Sin=A big Fish, Vegnagun=A Machine. My point is is that the danger and evil was far more penetrating when the evil was humane, not supernatural.

7. I feel character classes should be more defined, like in IX, IV and VI. In the end of most FF's, your characters basically act all the same so it doesn't matter who you use.

That's it I think. If you've got a change you'd welcome into the series post it here.
    Do you realize that most of your points go against the general evolution of FF games?

You are suggesting:

A) That we should do away with voice acting, even though it adds a sense of emotion that was previously unobtainable in previous FF games.
    B) That we should see a return of “fake” 3D graphics, even though we don’t have to put up with any of that crap anymore with the power of the new consoles.
    C) A return to world maps, which undermines any sense of spatial awareness in the FF games.
    D) Simply make all of the antagonists human, even though the title is “Final FANTASY”, and all of the antagonists in previous games had some severe inhuman qualities.

Really, if you liked these concepts so much, then just replay all of the old FF games. Hell will freeze over before you see any of these things again!

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris
    A) That we should do away with voice acting, even though it adds a sense of emotion that was previously unobtainable in previous FF games.
    B) That we should see a return of “fake” 3D graphics, even though we don’t have to put up with any of that crap anymore with the power of the new consoles.
    C) A return to world maps, which undermines any sense of spatial awareness in the FF games.
    D) Simply make all of the antagonists human, even though the title is “Final FANTASY”, and all of the antagonists in previous games had some severe inhuman qualities.
    A) I think he's trying to say that adding voices to the characters removes some of the perceptions you may have had and replaces them with what the studio thought was appropriate. Studios don't always make great choices when casting, and directors sometimes make questionable choices when coaching how a character should speak. All of these things can detract from a game or book greatly. Whereas the problem with not obtaining emotion lies more within the writer's lack of ability to convey feelings. A good book can make you cry.

B) Play Resident Evil for Gamecube. The quality of graphics there is stunning and the backgrounds were ALL pre-rendered. It makes a good case for continuing to do that, even though I don't agree with the thread starter on this one at all.

C) World maps sort of do the OPPOSITE of removing spatial awareness. They give you a sense of how far apart various towns are, which is hard to get in games like FFX where you never really see that until the very end. I personally could care more (a LOT more) about this, but I do understand where he's coming from.

D) You mean like how Garland, The Emperor, Kefka, Sephiroth, Ultimecia, Kuja, Seymour, and Queen Remedi weren't human-like?

I'm not taking this guy's side or anything, but I think it might be beneficial to all involved if people's opinions were stated a little more rationally.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA
    Get rid of voice acting? Whatever.

If technological advances bother you THAT much, then for smurfs sake just quit playing games, or shut up and play the games that meet all your prissy little specific standards. My god.
    Can I get an amen?
    Amen, brother.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

I don't agree with anything in the first post. Simply because I don't want all the FF games to be the same. Sure it'd be okay some of them into some of the games, and then leave them out in any future games.

To your World Map comment, I have a better idea. They should try a World Map similar to that of Breathe of Fire 3 in one of their games. Not quite Linear, not quite wide spread.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris
    A) I think he's trying to say that adding voices to the characters removes some of the perceptions you may have had and replaces them with what the studio thought was appropriate. Studios don't always make great choices when casting, and directors sometimes make questionable choices when coaching how a character should speak. All of these things can detract from a game or book greatly. Whereas the problem with not obtaining emotion lies more within the writer's lack of ability to convey feelings. A good book can make you cry.

B) Play Resident Evil for Gamecube. The quality of graphics there is stunning and the backgrounds were ALL pre-rendered. It makes a good case for continuing to do that, even though I don't agree with the thread starter on this one at all.

C) World maps sort of do the OPPOSITE of removing spatial awareness. They give you a sense of how far apart various towns are, which is hard to get in games like FFX where you never really see that until the very end. I personally could care more (a LOT more) about this, but I do understand where he's coming from.

D) You mean like how Garland, The Emperor, Kefka, Sephiroth, Ultimecia, Kuja, Seymour, and Queen Remedi weren't human-like?

I'm not taking this guy's side or anything, but I think it might be beneficial to all involved if people's opinions were stated a little more rationally.
    A) Hmm I think people should have more faith in dubbing companies. Sure, they make some poor choices (cough*Yuna*cough) but overall I think it’s worth sacrificing personally perceptions for the extra emotion. B) Never played it, so I can only base my opinion on the older FF games. The new camera in 12 (from what I’ve seen) adds a much needed sense of depth into the environments that other FF’s lacked, so I don’t see why we should return to pre-rendered backgrounds.
    C) Maybe spacial awareness wasn’t the right word. What I meant was, World maps are designed as visual representations of something much larger, it’s much better if everything is presented in a 1:1 ratio.
    D)X-Death: Tree
    Kefka: genetically enhanced human
    Sephiroth: Ditto
    Ultimecia: Check her true form. It was hardly human.
    Kuja: From another planet, so not really human at all…also has a tail.
    Seymour: Half Guado(sp?)
    That’s what I meant by “inhuman qualities”.

Clear?

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Well jeez, if we're gonna be picky about it...

Chaos: Demonic knight with bat wings and a head coming out of his stomach.

Emperor: Uhh... Back from hell and somehow twice as evil looking.

Like I said, I'm not trying to argue here, just trying to present the other side's point in a more rational and less angry manner. When debating, it helps to know what the other party in the debate is trying to say.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Was I the only one that thought yuna's voice was perfectly fine in x-2?

Guados, and even the race from the other planet in FF9, as well as all of the demi-humans, are still all HUMANS.

Humans in videogames has always been broadly defined as anyone who is bipedal, can speak, show emotion, has flesh and blood, and have just about everything a normal human does. Little things like 'bat wings' or 'a little bit longer arms' or 'wierd hair' or 'monkey tail' does not matter.

Sin, is not a human. I don't know what Sin is.

For that matter, aliens like Kuja andZidane still refer to themselves has humans, despite being of the genome 'race'.

The reason moogles are not human despite similar appearances is because they are SO much different, they barely resemble them at all. They don't have nomral skin, or human-like features like our ears, our nose, mouth. They're small and shaped differently.

Quote Originally Posted by cal113
    Ok so this is something I've wanted to do for a while to see if everyone's on the same wavelength as me. This list is a list of things I would love to welcome back into the final fantasy series, would hope i never see again, or things that just should be....anyway here goes...

1. First of all I hope they eliminate VOICE ACTING. I hate it and felt it destroyed FFX/X" in parts which could have been so much more atmospheric without the voice overs.

2. I would love if they brought back a card game. Preferably one like VIII's, a simple addictive game with rewarding prizes. The concept on IX's was good but I didn't like the way you had to develop the cards.

3. I realise I'm probably on my own with this but I woulod welcome back gladly fixed camera/pre-rendered graphics. The fully polygraphic graphics are nice but jus didn't do it for me. IX's, I felt, where so much nicer to look at.

4. Bring back the WORLD MAP. As in one you can roam freely around.

5. Enough with direct sequels. I'm referring strictly to X/X2. The revisiting of the same areas in the sequel was utterly dissapointing and hope it never happens again. With VII's sequels/prequels they seem to be learning, ie. Dirge of Cerberus is looking more along the lines of Devil May Cry than FFVII. I feel in order to make a sequel work in this series the game has to practically feel lke a genuinly different game.

6. The villian should be HUMAN. Kefka=Funny but Evil, Sephiroth=Frightning, Edea/Sorcerers=Menacing, Kuja=Evil, Sin=A big Fish, Vegnagun=A Machine. My point is is that the danger and evil was far more penetrating when the evil was humane, not supernatural.

7. I feel character classes should be more defined, like in IX, IV and VI. In the end of most FF's, your characters basically act all the same so it doesn't matter who you use.

That's it I think. If you've got a change you'd welcome into the series post it here.
    i can actually say that i agree with all 7 things(ESPECIALLY WORLD MAP) but i think voice acting has potential.

The huge problem with whiny posts like these is that as soon as someone gets what they want, they make fun of it. if they make FFXIII with prerendered graphics, World map how you like, No voice acting, and simple human bad guy you'll make a thread saying "Square has no originality" and go off on how they don't ever change things and have run out of new ideas.

here's something I think everyone needs to get implanted into their little skulls (Well, not everyone, I see that some of us DO have common sense and rarely complain about FF's future or Square's abilities) You have no control over what Square-Enix is going to do. And no matter what they create, you will buy it, so their money is made. Your tivial little rants will do nothing to them and really get annoying to those who like to discuss positive things about Final Fantasy. If you feel things need to change SO much, don't whine here, write a letter to Square-Enix's USA/Europe or wherever you are from's division. MAYBE that will do something, more than likely not. But it has more potential to do something than wasting our time here with why you feel FF is becoming flawed.

No game will ever be perfect. There will always be aspects of every game you don't like. Even if there is a game in which you find 100% perfect, chances are another just like it will not be made, just for the sole fact that series' need to change things to keep their audiences happy and fresh. This is why FFX and FFX-2 were so different, but so alike.

Oh, and about point #6, it makes absolutely NO sense. You say you want to "return" to human bad guys, when, before 10 the last 4 were human (ish). Or if you want a completely human adversary, Final Fantasy isn't your ticket for finding one. Gariland was a time traveling sorcerer. The evil emperor in II was from hell. Final fantasy 4's was from the moon (i think, i cant remember the boss, havent played in forever) kefka and Sephiroth are as human as you get. Both insane with world destruction. Ultimecia and Kuja were human. But not really Earthly human, just weirdly human. Sin and vegnagun weren't human but thats because the last 4 villians in the FF series were and they changed it up. Hell even the last boss in FFT wasn't human, She/he was Ivalice's god, or at least the diety they prayed to, whether she/he was really a god or not is up for debate. Whatever she/he was it wasn't human.

If you want to go back to FF roots, there is no set human or non human enemy. For crap's sake Ex Death was a TREE. FFV was a messed up game but it was one of the funnest to play and I don't think anyone who played it will deny that. It doesn't matter who the enemy is, so long as they creators make the player hate it and love it at the same time. This is why people view Sephiroth in such high light, because not only did we dispise him, we admired him and loved to hate him. And he had that kick ass sword.

In summation, theres nothing we can do about square's game making ability and they are gonna make whatever they want. I'm gonna buy it and prolly love it, and if I don't I'm going to say why i dislike the game, NOT rant about how Square sucks. I understand that I'm not going to love every RPG ever made, and that some were made to please different types of people. (Example, Wild Arms isn't my kind of game, Its fun, but I just didn't like it. i don't blame anyone but myself for disliking it. As many people DO like it) Just play games and be more understanding, its not hard.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    Current RPGs: Final Fantasy XII

*Claps*That.....that is.....beautiful!!! You get a medal!!!!!

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7
    <-- Take it from my little friend to the left.
    Do not lose your braincells!