Thread: Challenge me.

Default Challenge me.

Well, it's time for me to play through the old FFT again. I want to do something that will keep me interested in the fighting of the game without making myself feel as if I am too overpowered. I don't want to go to any extreme challenge, like Solo Ramza Initial Equipment or some crap like that. Just something nice and moderate, such as limiting what jobs or skills I am allowed to use, or what special characters I can or cannot use, or not allowing myself to level outside of story battles, ya know, something along those lines. So, I open it up to you guys. Any suggestions?

edit: Hey, I thought of a few. I'll just list as many as I can, then you guys list as many as you can, and then I'll whittle the list down (or not).

1. Must use Rafa and Malak.
    2. Cannot use ranged weapons (bows, guns).
    3. Cannot use melee weapons.
    4. Cannot use any Knight Sword techniques.
    5. Cannot use any special characters.
    6. Must have at least one monster per fight.
    7. Must only use one mage.

Obviously, I will pick either 2 or 3, if any. If I pick 5, I won't have to pick 4. So on and so forth. 1 and 6 look fun so far.
    Last edited by -N-; 05-23-2005 at 10:50 PM.

solo Ramza as one class (your choice) or use only monsters + Ramza (not too riduculous) or perhaps no items (potions etc.). Not too bad, if i say so myself...
    Of all the games that i find well worth the work, I can only say that three can properly qualify for the category. And of the three, one is, but of corse, FFVII. The other twon games which i couldn't depart from are Xenogears and FFT. And i also found a pattern, All of which were released 1997 or 1998 and were on PS. I have lost some faith in Squaresoft when they merged with Enix, they no longer adapt a well-thought plot as nearly as much as the older titles. And thus, I say to you Square-Enix, "Up yours!"

With the exception of Khimbar, you guys blow.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

All Calculator, no other job classes allowed, no spells can be learned.

FFXIV Character

Gamina Condoin (Sargatanas)

just try and play through without ever getting in random battles on purpose.

Sounds like no challenge at all... untill you want to lvl up or get some job class, then you realize its harder than you think.

Ooh, I like that one.

Default A justifiable double post, in my opinion.

The final four I decided on.

1. Damage can only be dealt with weapons.
    2. One monster must be present per fight starting with Boco.
    3. No getting into battles other than story or unavoidable-random.
    4. No redundant jobs or abilities allowed in any battle.

Guests are exempt, I guess.

So far so good. Ch. I is going smoothly.

well you already started but heres a nice one never let anyones count down reach 0 that includes enemys
    Thomas A. Edison wrote:

There will one day spring from the brain of science a machine or force so fearful in its potentialities, so absolutely terrifying, that even man, the fighter, who will dare torture and death in order to inflict torture and death, will be appalled, and so abandon war forever.

FFXIV Character

Gamina Condoin (Sargatanas)

that is pritty good cuz that means you have o kill all the enemies within 3 turns of each other. I doubt I'd Ever Try that one.... but still its Quite the challenge.

Yikes - I don't think I could do that, especially with the job uniqueness rule (#4). That is one crazy rule, one I might be able to do by itself. But I'm definitely not letting my own troops permanently die.

I've been toying around with a new rule - not buying anything at all from any shops. I've had to relent once or twice, though, but I'm wondering if I can do it from Ch. II onwards.

And I tried getting a monster in Ch. I - I got a Mediator and all - and I got in a fight on the Mandalia Plains with a Guest Chocobo, but it didn't offer to join afterwards. What's the deal with that?

Quote Originally Posted by -N-
    I've been toying around with a new rule - not buying anything at all from any shops. I've had to relent once or twice, though, but I'm wondering if I can do it from Ch. II onwards.
    That's what I was going to suggest for a challenge. You have to steal (or invite) all of your equipment, and get potions etc. from treasure chests and 'move-find-item' only. That is, until you can poach, I think visiting fur shops should be allowed.

As for your question about the Chocobo: When a 'non-storyline' battle begins with a guest, I don't think the guest can join your party. Only by invitation or taming. That has happened to me quite a bit too, even when I had empty character slots they could've occupied.
    Anarcho-syndicalism is a way of preserving freedom...

The only problem I'm encountering with the no shop rule is items. In addition, I don't just plan on beating the game, but beating the Deep Dungeon, getting Zodiac, Ultima, all the Genji equipment, Javelin/Escutcheon II, all other characters, etc. So it might prove to be a little much in the end. The rule that's really killing me right now is #3. >_<

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I want to try an all-wizard game next time I play. Black mages rule. Of course, secondary skills would be allowed. xD

well I took my own challenge and so far its not that bad it actualy got fairly easy once my wizard learned meteor currently at rivinors castle and I think an all Black mage party would be easy lol just imagine 5 ppl casting flare at once (drools)
    Thomas A. Edison wrote:

There will one day spring from the brain of science a machine or force so fearful in its potentialities, so absolutely terrifying, that even man, the fighter, who will dare torture and death in order to inflict torture and death, will be appalled, and so abandon war forever.

well how bout try sticking with all your old weapons or just equip a sword thats a way were you can earn high HP fast i did it with my monk the cloths were hardly proctection then when he leveled up it was like 12HP then 15 then 17 finally he kept getting 21 over and over since i was in the bigging at that point my monk was the strongest on HP well compared to knights.