Thread: Opinions on Gentoo, Slackware, Arch, Ubuntu etc.

Default Opinions on Gentoo, Slackware, Arch, Ubuntu etc.

Heyia, I've been wondering about what distro is best in overall performance according to the Eoff users.

Please, fill me in with what you think are the pros and cons of the different distros.
    Personally, I started out to be a Mandrake user in the good ol' days, then made the shift to Windows ME and then tried Gentoo - excellent customizability I might add- but I found Gentoo to exaggerate the "Gentoo-way", which made me switch to Windows XP, an OS that runs my favorite winamp-plugin.
    Last edited by Bulldog; 05-28-2005 at 10:13 PM.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll move this to the Help Forum because I think you'll find more answers for this in there.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Windows XP, because I'm dumb and lazy.
    "As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless,
    uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

Well, I was thinking about Linux not Windows, but thanks for the input, mate. ^_^
    Makes me feel special.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you can install Gentoo, more power to you, and I recommend running with it. If you want a much more user-friendly Gentoo experience, try out VidaLinux. It's got a Gentoo backbone, but everything is directed at the casual user, and it's really easy to customize from my experience. It's been the best Linux distro I've tried.

However, I've heard about a million and one good things about Ubuntu, so that's definately an option. They even have a live CD you can check out if you don't want to take the plunge with a full-on installation.

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

I'm running Fedora core, and I've run older Redhat distros and SuSE. All of them have worked fine; however, there are many others I have not tried yet that may be a lot better.