Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does everybody hate Cait Sith?

Default Why does everybody hate Cait Sith?

This is the one question that boggles my mind. Why do so many people shun him? He's probably the most useful character in combat. His weapons are all on high levels, his got decent magic rating, ansd his limit breaks are forces to be reconed with, slots can do alot of damage and if you're lucky can completly turn the tide of combat.

its possible that ppl don't like cait sith taht much cuz they don't feel an emotional attachment to them. i mean, i feel for vincent more than i do cait sith, and vincent NEVER talks.

its also quite possible that its because the fact of the matter is, cait sith is a big overstuffed moogle doll. and that doesn't really seem that "cool". or, in some ppl's cases, its just because he was a spy.

i personally go wtih the fact that he's just a puppet controlled by some shinra nobody....if i remember correctly. :rolleyes2

He's controlled by (SPOILER)Reeve. That still doesn't change the fact that he kicks loads of ass.

Here's my reasons for not USING Cait Sith.

1. Limit Breaks.. They aren't nearly as useful as anyone elses final ones.

2. There are stronger characters and better magicians. Tifa, Yuffie, Cloud, Red XIII are all better at both in my games. Cid and Barrett are stronger physically than him also. Sure Cait can hit and do magic, but everyone else can to, usually with better results.

3. I don't see a megaphone as a plausible weapon... How can shouting out of a different coloers tube make a big puffball hit harder?

Here's my reasons for not LIKING him.

1. He betrays the group. I do not forgive mutiny.

2. Personality is more than lacking. At least Vincent's silence gives him character, and He has really no background story, other than finding out who's behind the bot.

3. He looks stupid. If it was just the cat, I'd like him. But the big moogle thing looks dumb.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    Current RPGs: Final Fantasy XII

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think he's a cool character and has a creative design. I jst never played with him much, but maybe I will next time through the game.

It reminds them of you, Joel.

He'd have been good if FFVII didn't allow for all your characters to completely homogenize.

casual mind slip

Cait Sith is okay, he's nothing special. His abilities are normal and all, but the main reason why I don't like Cait Sith is because he has no definite personality. One minute he's betraying you, then the next he's completely in love with you and on your side without a reason at all, also willing to destroy his body in the temple. He's very fickle and mysterious and I don't think they put much thought into his character's dialogue. Someone can disagree. *shrugs*

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I keep forgetting Joel has turned to the dark side.

He's just friggin' lame, to put it bluntly. I can't get down with clubbing your enemies over the head with a stupid mega phone. I always, in all RPGs prefer the characters that attack with a sword. Then those with martial arts abilities, then those with a lance or spear, and then those with a gun. But never something as stupid as a mega-phone.

And then the fact that he is (or is controlled by) a Shinra spy just justifies me not using him. I didn't use him at all, if I didn't have to in my play-through of FFVII. Plus that dice limit break is dumb as well.

The reason why he uses Megaphones is to shout orders to the giant mog the cat rides on, the stronger the Megaphone the stronger the Mog. I mean Cait Sith's limit Break 'Slot' is just fantastic, if you time it right you can kill al enemies reguardless of them being bosses or not, or can heal your whole part 100%, or do serious damage to the enemies.

Its not tht i dont like cait sith. I just like Cloud/redXII/Vincent better.

maybe its because all of the other characters are better

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by silverpigeon97
    maybe its because all of the other characters are better

Personally, Cait Sith is one of my three favorites in the game (the other two being Tifa and Yuffie). More specifically, I guess I should say that (SPOILER)Reeve, his controller, is one of my three favorites, but I regard them as the same seeing as how Cait Sith is controlled by him.

Sure he betrays the group, but in reality, he was just doing what he joined to do. He betrays Shin-Ra as well in choosing to side with AVALANCHE. He believed in what they were doing and regretted what he had done.

Something I've often said is that Final Fantasy VII is a story about redemption. The majority of our cast has some unsavory things about them, either in their personalities, their past actions, or both. With the exceptions of Nanaki and Aerith, all of them have some obvious atonement to work toward, and in Nanaki's case, he even has his own brand of that due to him having believed his father to be a coward his whole life. With Cait Sith, his purpose is mostly that of symbolism. It's also a story about redemption for humanity itself, but with Cait Sith we see a somewhat more personalized example of redemption.

(SPOILER)Reeve has worked for Shin-Ra and more than likely been party to things that were wrong. When President Shinra dropped the Plate on Sector 7, he didn't try to stop it. He opposed the action, but didn't actually make a move to prevent it.

Reeve's true loyalty was to the people of Midgar, and I think he would have betrayed AVALANCHE again if necessary in order to protect those people, but he respected Cloud and the others for what they were doing, seeking to save the Planet without asking for anything in return, and it made him think about his own life. He wanted to live better than he had and in AVALANCHE, he saw what it was to live a better life.

Maybe he appeals to me so much because I'm a fan of the repentant-villain-turned-hero characters, but whatever the reason, I think he's a terrific character.
    I love my Carys with all my heart.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Where the clouds part and the truth is revealed: Final Fantasy VII Analysis.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Story-wise, Cait Sith is an excellent character.

Battle-wise, Caith Sith sucks.