Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Common RPG clichés

Ominous Wanderer Tech Admin Samuraid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    Because if all your characters are unconcious, whats to stop the monsters from killing them?

Try looking at the status screen next time you're in a battle and a character is downed. It always says something like "KO" "Swoon" "Faint". They never die in battle. If all your characters are knocked out, then the monsters have free reign to kill you, which is why the game ends. Its not like the monsters would be like "Oh, they're good and unconcious, lets leave."
    True. That's exactly what Sepho said, and I agree (that's how I've always tried to look at it). However, the question still remains, why are some characters still "dead" after the battle completes? If they were only knocked out, why wouldn't they come to after the battle and have just very low health? (only a few games did it this way)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto
    Let's not turn this into a "KO means death" debate, please.

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Grand List Of Console Role Playing Game Clichés

A few good ones...
    • Good guys will only have first names, and bad guys will only have last names. Any bad guy who only has a first name will become a good guy at some point in the game. Good guys' last names may be mentioned in the manual but they will never be referred to in the story.
    • Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
    • Any bad guys, no matter how far they run, will always end up in one of two ways by the end of the game: obviously dead, or on your side. There is no in-between.
    • If there is any chance whatsoever that major villain X could be the male lead's father, then it will turn out that major villain X is the male lead's father.

* No one over the age of 18 can be the hero of the story.

* If there is someone over the age of 18 in the party, he has a past that explains the entire story. Unfortunately he (has amnesia/doesn't want to tell you about it) so you have to figure it out on your own.

* There is always an ancient race with outstanding (magical/technological) powers that you need to destroy the boss and save the world. Unfortuately they're all dead or in hiding, with the possible exception of the healer in your party.

* The hero will fall in love with a member of the party, usually the healer.

* Anyone introduced in the opening move is the "key to everything".

* There is always at least one nonhuman character in your party.

* (works for scif-fi too) Any party member who betrays you was either 1.) Evil from the start, or 2.) Will eventually come to his senses once you break the bad guy's hold on him.

* The bad guy wants to be god, which is why he dresses like a goth and/or a woman.

* all national leaders are evil. Or at least under the spell of the really evil guy.

* There is always a loud-mouthed smart-ass in your party.

If the characters have voices they will only use them at specific points, otherwise they will speak only in text.

"I think you'd make any (nice) woman happy... & I think you really deserve for someone to make you happy too for a change"

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I already gave that link you no good double link poster!

Paine, Wakka, Zell.
    How are these peoples gender hard to tell?

There's always some loudmouth who swears at least twice in every text box.

Blog Entries

 All of the listed reasons is why I love Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles more and more everyday.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is not your normal: “I'm on a quest to save the world. Why don't you come join me?”

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is the prettiest RPG to date; sizzling with animated eye candy.

 That is why Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is the greatest Final Fantasy game of all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic
    First thing I thought of opening this thread. Amazing list.

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm
    You are always on a quest to SAVE THE WORLD or WORLDS(exception = BoF 3)
    Planescape: Torment is the other exception I've seen.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic
    I already gave that link you no good double link poster!
    I figured someone had but to confirm it would require me to read.

Quote Originally Posted by black orb
    >>> *Game starts, and you try to leave the town to the see world map*

Random gatekeeper: "Wait boy! its dangerous out there, you cant pass. Go and talk to the village chief first, he is waiting for you..."
    Then the village chief gives you a sword that will later on morph into the greatest sword of all times and you will save the world with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Yevon
    * No one over the age of 18 can be the hero of the story.

* If there is someone over the age of 18 in the party, he has a past that explains the entire story. Unfortunately he (has amnesia/doesn't want to tell you about it) so you have to figure it out on your own.

* There is always an ancient race with outstanding (magical/technological) powers that you need to destroy the boss and save the world. Unfortuately they're all dead or in hiding, with the possible exception of the healer in your party.

* The hero will fall in love with a member of the party, usually the healer.

* Anyone introduced in the opening move is the "key to everything".

* There is always at least one nonhuman character in your party.

* (works for scif-fi too) Any party member who betrays you was either 1.) Evil from the start, or 2.) Will eventually come to his senses once you break the bad guy's hold on him.

* The bad guy wants to be god, which is why he dresses like a goth and/or a woman.

* all national leaders are evil. Or at least under the spell of the really evil guy.

* There is always a loud-mouthed smart-ass in your party.
    Gnost main hero and main villain always uses a sword.
    The main heroine always has some kind of jewel or gemstone that can either save the universe or destroy it.
    Yeah. You always seem to find these. I've always loved the jewel one though.

It doesn't matter how much you get hurt, how many limbs you lose or how many times you die, you can always be healed by a potion or phonix down... unless its a cutscene. Then you're screwed

The more girly looking the man the more evil he will be, and no good guy EVER has silver/white hair, even the oldies.

People will start following you around and risking their lives for you for no real apparent reason.

Your party will know everything that has been said despite the fact they werent there when it was said

Three inch high rock are the bane of your existance. 'Damn you! How can I posibbly pass these rocks when I could stubb my toe!'

You will fight the evil pretty boy who's hard as nails despite being half naked in some random dungeon/cave/place in the sky no one has ever seen before.

There is some magic force that prevents you from throwing away your first weapon (not all the time, but more than several)

The Elastic Pants Rule (from RPGWorld) - No matter how much stuff you have, it will fit in your bag(which you don't actually have, and so must instead store everything in your magic elastic pants) and not slow you down. You can have a million items and they will fit, but try getting in that extra 1 of any item to make it a nice round 100 and GOD DAMNIT! Bag's full
    Last edited by Tanwen Strife; 06-06-2005 at 11:34 PM.
    Oh no, the end has fallen off - Uri De'Jeller