Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why Does Everyone Hate Rinoa?

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Default Why Does Everyone Hate Rinoa?

Well?
    I like Kung-Fu.

I find this question very difficult to answer, since I am a Rinoa fan, as is everyone else I know who I am aware of their views on the topic...
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA
    Well?
    who hates rinoa? i didnt really care for her all that much, but i didnt hate her, and i know that most ppl actually liked her. u sure ur talking about the right person?
    Sam = Ax = MAS82587 = PedroXC = DistanceRunner = Cloud of SOLDIER

I love Rinoa, but I have noticed these interesting Rinoa haters. I think there are like two communities on livejournal devoted to hating her. I find it all to be so amusing. I do remember one person saying that they blame Rinoa for turning Squall into a "sissy". Or something. It always seemed to do with something she apparently did to Squall...

I guess I am odd. I usually enjoy all of the Final Fantasy characters. It takes a whole lot to annoy me and it hasn't happened yet...

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

I dislike Rinoa simply because of her personality. She seems very selfish to me, and because of that, I dislike her. I usually had her on my team, though, because her limit breaks with Angelo were some of the most useful in the game.

Rinoa is tied with Rikku of X and X-2 as being my favorite Final Fantasy character, yet I'll explain why a lot of folks find her annoying:

1) Having to rescue her several times. She places herself in situations in which she either endangered a mission being conducted by trained professionals, or stood in place while the floor broke under her and the trained professionals in the vicinity moved away.

In her defense, she did these things out of the goodness of her heart as she wanted to help others and be of use. As far as it goes, during the assassination attempt in Deling City, the mission could have still been carried out just fine if Irvine hadn't hesitated. Everyone was where they were supposed to be at the right time, but Irvine not taking the shot as the gates fell and trapped Edea was why the mission failed. For that matter, why would anyone have wanted the mission to succeed? Edea raised these kids and was being possessed. If she had been killed, her soul would have just been doomed to eternal suffering for her having not passed on the Sorceress Power before her death, and the Embodiment would have just left her body and gone into another poor woman that Ultimecia would have possessed.

As for the battle between the Gardens, most folks would have wanted a say in whether or not they died. I know I would have rather been on the battlefield wielding a weapon and having a say in my fate instead of hiding in a dormitory.

2) She gets herself possessed due to tagging along in Galbadia Garden, thus causing two more "rescue Rinoa" scenarios to take place later. People conveniently forget that all of the "rescue Rinoa" scenarios after the first one had direct effects on everything playing out as it did, meaning her needing to be rescued actually saved the world.

Cases in point:

When Squall had to rescue her during the conflict between the Gardens, in doing so, he landed nearby an entrance to Galbadia Garden and was able to enter and end the conflict by defeating Edea.

With Rinoa being possessed, Squall took her to Esthar where the Lunatic Pandora happened to be raised, putting SeeD in a position to do something about it.

When Squall dove into space to catch Rinoa, this event allowed the couple to secure the Ragnarok, which they would later use to blast their way into Lunatic Pandora (something that couldn't have been achieved otherwise), rescue Ellone, defeat Adel, and enact the plan that allowed them to defeat Ultimecia.

As for freeing her from the Sorceress Memorial goes, that was more or less everyone else's idea, as she was content to remain there. And, as before, her being rescued allowed everything to turn out is it did.

3) "She's so pushy/She's all over Squall/She's so clingy."

Many folks hold these things against her, even while they praise Aerith who did the same things with Cloud in VII. There's really not much to say in her defense here. You either like that personality trait or you don't. I personally do.

4) "She ruined Squall! He was such a badass! She turned him into a lovesick, bleeding heart wimp!"

People tend to cite her "ruination" of Squall as one of the big reasons for hating her, failing to keep in mind that if she hadn't taught him the value of loving others, he would have faded from existance when Time Compression took effect, as it was love and friendship that allowed Squall and the others to travel to the future without vanishing.

And that's assuming that they would have ever been in that situation in the first place, as Squall may not have gone to all the trouble of taking her to Esthar to begin with had he not fallen in love with her.

For that matter, I imagine Squall's happier being... happy, than he was being not.

(Note: This information compiled after spending one year as a member of Gaia Online.)

So, in summary, people hate Rinoa for usually ridiculus reasons. The only sensible one is that her personality just clashes with their own.

-Edit-
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAbominatrix
    I dislike Rinoa simply because of her personality. She seems very selfish to me, and because of that, I dislike her. I usually had her on my team, though, because her limit breaks with Angelo were some of the most useful in the game.
    Ah, I forgot to mention this reason. I never understood this one, myself. She did all the things she did because she wasn't selfish. She didn't have to fight for Timber's liberation obviously, and she willingly chose to let herself be confined by Esthar forever so as to keep the world safe.

Could you explain, Abom?
    Last edited by Squall of SeeD; 06-03-2005 at 06:42 AM.
    I love my Carys with all my heart.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Where the clouds part and the truth is revealed: Final Fantasy VII Analysis.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

The only reason she seems to care about the liberation of Timber is because it makes her father angry and cause him problems. That's just my take on the situation, but that's how it came across to me; playing childish games with adult lives (the dedicated Forest Owls) to make daddy angry.

And now that it's been mentioned, her clingy-crap bothered me intensely, and I dislike Aerith for doing the same (though Aerith moreso, because she seemed to be rubbing it in Tifa's face, at least Rinoa didnt know that Quistis had a thing for Squall, and Quistis' wasnt nearly as deep as what Tifa felt for Cloud)... that sort of behavior deeply annoys me.

Saving her so much didnt really bother me, but it does bother me when, for example, fans bitch about having to save Rosa, which only happens twice, while Rinoa has to be saved... I believe it's five times, yes? Give or take. It did bug me that she wouldnt let the professionals do their jobs, though. She wanted their help, but then when she got it, she didnt want to let them do it their way.

Her pitching fits earlier in the game bothered me a lot too. The Forest Owls say something about it as well, and I just... blargh I hate that sort of personality, especially at her age.

hate Rinoa, me not!

The only reason she seems to care about the liberation of Timber is because it makes her father angry and cause him problems. That's just my take on the situation, but that's how it came across to me; playing childish games with adult lives (the dedicated Forest Owls) to make daddy angry.
    Difference of interpretation, I guess, though I don't doubt that the fact that it would have pissed her dad off would have brought a smile to her face.

What do you think on the matter of her behavior with allowing herself to be incarcerated later? I can see how one could maybe feel that she was a little selfish earlier on, but by that point, she had certainly grown up, I think.

[And now that it's been mentioned, her clingy-crap bothered me intensely, and I dislike Aerith for doing the same (though Aerith moreso, because she seemed to be rubbing it in Tifa's face, at least Rinoa didnt know that Quistis had a thing for Squall, and Quistis' wasnt nearly as deep as what Tifa felt for Cloud)... that sort of behavior deeply annoys me.
    It didn't bother me with Rinoa, and I like that sort of behavior (I'm like that myself ), but with Aerith it did piss me off. Tifa's feelings for Cloud were obvious, yet Aerith was so damn pushy and shameless about the whole thing. Probably why I never liked Aerith. Though Tifa denies that Cloud and she were more than friends when she first meets Aerith, her feelings should have been obvious to anyone.

Anyway, I can understand why you didn't like her. Basic personality clash. That personality is the kind I like, but I understand that others often don't.
    I love my Carys with all my heart.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Where the clouds part and the truth is revealed: Final Fantasy VII Analysis.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Yes, she certainly did seem to grow up as the game went on. Probably not as much as I would have liked (she still continued to open her mouth, after all xD. Kidding), but she certainly seemed less selfish near the end.

And I definitly agree with you about Aerith.

:<3:

Quote Originally Posted by Squall of SeeD
    (Note: This information compiled after spending one year as a member of Gaia Online.)
    Gaia Online never did anything like that for me... but then, I haven't been on in a long time. :laugh: I don't even remember my screenname...

i liked Rinoa, I thought she was a very good heroine. She had a great personality, and I don't think she ruined Squall at all, but actually made him better.

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

she my second best character and one of the main characters so i dont hate her.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

I pretty much hate her for the same reason TheAbominatrix listed. And for the record, I couldn't stomach Aeris either.

I don't hate Rinoa. She can be annoying, but hate is the wrong word.
    Insane people make knives out out of bars of soap.

Dance Macabre The Anarchy Angel's Avatar

I like Rinoa, methinks

Dance Macabre