Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Animal Rights!!!

Feena, The Goddess of Ys TifaLockhart7's Avatar

Huh?

:temigi: :tehidari:
    :kaohappy2 Hey, I'm Feena, nice to meet'cha!!! :kaohappy2
    Thx to Raven Nox for the siggy!

That's why I like beef.
    The government thinks I'm a threat. They're right.

So what, I took the test.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

Feena, The Goddess of Ys TifaLockhart7's Avatar

Hmph.

:temigi: :tehidari:
    :kaohappy2 Hey, I'm Feena, nice to meet'cha!!! :kaohappy2
    Thx to Raven Nox for the siggy!

Quote Originally Posted by TifaLockhart7
    Hmph.

I'm not trying to devalue your personal belief system, just making sure you're familiar with the pitfalls that come with said stance (not to say your stance is "wrong," or anything of the sort, just to say that regardless of your love for the natural world, you must consume life to sustain your own).

Too true.
    The government thinks I'm a threat. They're right.

So what, I took the test.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The world doesn't have to be all or nothing. Some people just try to get by with causing as little harm to living things as possible.

I limit my animal product intake, but I don't deny myself anything entirely. Last time I tried to go vegetarian I felt the urge to pounce a cow and just gnaw on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack
    The world doesn't have to be all or nothing. Some people just try to get by with causing as little harm to living things as possible.
    In most cases this is absolutely true, but in reality you're either consuming living things or dying. Granted you can consume fewer living things, or try to maximize the output to input ratio, but no matter what you are consuming (i.e. killing) things.

Sounds all or nothing to me (at least this one part of it).

I certainly would never kill or hurt an animal just for the fun of it. That is animal cruelty. But, I feel no problem at all killing an animal for consumption purposes. I mean, species have been killing other species as food for millions and millions of years. It's the way organisms survive (unless your a plant).

I respect those who can manage to become a vegetarian, because I don't see how I could EVER live without meat (or eat fake meat for that matter). I need meat almost as much as I need oxygen. Plants would never satisfy my hunger.

Of course, when you boil it all down, no matter what you eat, it's going to be a living thing. It's always been that way, and it always will be that way. I guess the only difference is that the killing of an animal seems much more tragic because they brains and are mobile. Otherwise, plants are just as important. Without plants, we wouldn't be alive.

So, if you can live without meat, then good for you. But I think that people will always continue to eat meat no matter what. Problem is, that as our population rises, so does the demand for meat. That's why scientists are considering cloning to produce more animals to eat. Still, it is the death of a creature, so I guess there will always be the people who will protest what they do.

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

Killing animals for sport isn't justifiable in any way. However, killing them for food and nourishment is fine. The fact that humans have canines(the teeth, for those that don't know) proves that we were "built" to be either omnivorous or carnivorous. It's also impossible to go through life without eating a bit of another animal. When farmers harvest their crops, they harvest the bugs on the crops along with them. It is estimated that humans will consume up to a pound of bugs within their lives. Yummy yummy in my tummy.

So that's what all those black marks were.....

I beleve in animal rights except not with grandmas cat! I show it whos boss! Yesterday i put it in the washing machine i didn't turn it on but it was still trapped! We have daily battles and i win mostr of the time! Stupid fat cat!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
    Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack
    In most cases this is absolutely true, but in reality you're either consuming living things or dying. Granted you can consume fewer living things, or try to maximize the output to input ratio, but no matter what you are consuming (i.e. killing) things.

Sounds all or nothing to me (at least this one part of it).
    Yeah but we try to let the veggieheads feel good about themselves.

Banned

Actually, I've expounded upon this topic <a href="http://eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61361">at length in an earlier thread</a>.

But I've always wondered--if it's awful for a human to care for an animal until it's old enough to eat, pops it in the head, and cooks it, then why is it OK for a pack of wolves to run a deer to exhaustion, slice through its back tendons with their teeth, rip out its throat, and then gulp down its warm flesh while it still twitches in the throes of agony? And that's not even getting into the flat-out vicious bloodthirstyness of cougars or weasels or mink.

So true animal rights means shooting every carnivorous animal in existance. The others will immediately explode in population and then starve to death (actually, we know this for a fact--we tried it in a place called Mesa Verde), but at least we won't be cruel to them....

Oh--and no pot here, either. Ever. :D But my sig is too long already.

You're not really planning to take over the world, are you, Assassin Wolf? I eat vegetarian meat..
    I'm gonna have to quote Raven, for a second.

I respect that you don't eat meat. Please respect that I don't eat fake meat.

I eat vegetarian meat..
    Whoa, whoa, hold up here. There is such a thing as a veggie meat? How come I've not been told about this?
    "Feed me."