Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The legendary Masamune

Default The legendary Masamune

I just wanted to know...how many FF games does this mighty blade appear in if not all of them? And is it a secret weapon in all of the ones that it does appear in?

The Masamune was in FF I (called Masmune on NES), III, IV, V, VII (I think its appearance was as Sephiroth's sword not attainable by your party. Contrary to rumor there is no way to make the Masamune blade you recieve at Gold Saucer's laser shooter game into anything but the replica it is.), IX, X, and T. In crystanl Chronicles the Masamune is not a weapon usable by anyone (if it was it'd be a Lilty weapon I think.. or Clavat), but is an artifact.

The beloved Masamune has also been seen in Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross.

FFII, VI, and VIII do not have Masamunes.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    Current RPGs: Final Fantasy XII

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

It's also in FFTA, along with a more powerful version called the Hyakushiki Masamune, or Masamune 100.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCydranth
    The beloved Masamune has also been seen in Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross.
    Only according to the faulty English translations. That sword is actually called the Grand Lion.

Airship Engineer Hikaro Takayama's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Laura Beinbrech (Faerie)

Actually, there is a Masamune in VIII, but in order for it to show up you've gotta complete the Odin's Tower Quest before you fight Siefer for the last time. When Siefer kills Odin, Gilgamesh appears, and takes Odin's sword. Therefater, there's a random chance Gilgamesh will show up during a fight, and He'll use one of his for swords:

The Zantetsuken (odin's sword) instanly kills non-boss monsters
    The Excaliber deals massive damge to all enemies
    The Masamune deals even more massive damage to all enemies (and it just happens to look just like Sephiroth's Masamune, so it could be that Gilgamesh got it after Cloud killed Sephiroth in the lifestream...).
    The Excalipoor did 1 point of damage to all enemies.

I think they added the Excalipoor just to tick the players off.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

FFII and FFVI have Masamune, as well. It was called "Aura" in the English translation of FFVI, though.

False in all three cases, as has already been mentioned. As to the name change in FFVI, blame Ted Woolsey. :rolleyes2

Quote Originally Posted by Hikaro Takayama
    I think they added the Excalipoor just to tick the players off.
    Actually, the Excalipoor attack was meant to recall the Excalipur sword from FFV, which Gilgamesh (a recurring boss in that game) attempted to use in a battle against the party. As you might guess, it failed miserably.

To return to the original question, FFX-2 did not include anything called the Masamune. This can be attributed, however, to the fact that the game had no specific weapons. Kaiser Knuckle and Ragnarok were included as accessories, though. FFMQ and FFXI also lack a Masamune.
    Last edited by Masamune·1600; 06-10-2005 at 08:36 AM.

Soo....Let me clear this up...Masamune has been in basically every FF game or squaresoft game...? Or wasn't it? And another thing....the Masamune has changed loads over every FF game that it has been in, not only in design but in attributes too. I think Square should have chosen one design and only changed the stats ALITTLE to fit in with the FF game so that the Masamune would be more recognisable and ultimately achieve a higher status...

What does Masamune mean, if there is a meaning?

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Masamune has been in every FF game released so far in some form or another except for FFMQ and FFXI.
    Quote Originally Posted by masamune1600
    FFX-2 did not include anything called the Masamune.
    Actually, Rikku wields Auron's Masamune from FFX when she becomes a Dark Knight.

As for the origin, Masamune was the name of a fourteenth-century Japanese swordsmith whose blades were known for being the best under the sun. There were also myths that his swords were blest with some divine purity.

Wow....that's deep! Kinda like the LaLiLuLeLo thingy from MGS....but let's not go into that.

Thanks Ryukishi! Any more FF lore that anyone knows about this sword? I'm really interested in knowing about this weapon of the Gods!

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Well, in the fifteenth century, there was another swordsmith named Muramasa. For whatever reason, there were stories that his swords were possessed with malice and bloodthirst--the polar opposites of Masamune's swords, which were supposed to be pure. The main depiction of this was in the myth that if you took one of Muramasa's swords and stuck it in a riverbed, all the leaves floating downstream would be attracted to the blade and end up cut in two; meanwhile, if you stuck one of Masamune's swords in the riverbed, all the leaves would float peacefully on by.

Hey! And Muramasa is in FFX too! This is deep! And Auron owns BOTH of them... could this be saying something about Auron? Maybe he has two sides to him? One with anger and hatred, and one with control and harmony?

This is indeed expressed in FFX, as Auron is most of the time a sedate and calm character, but the fact that he had hate in him also proved to be his downfall... you all know what I mean >_o

So, let me get this straight... In FF2 and 6 theres a masamune, but its CALLED something else? Well, by those standards I'm in Final Fantasy 6 too, except I'm called General Leo. If the word masamune isn't there, its not the masamune. I don't give a flying freak what it says in japanese, I don't speak in japanese, and nor does the majority of this board. So, if in the versions we all own the word masdamune doesn't appear, then it is NOT in there.

As for Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, When I played I saw the word masamune. You try and convince me that a large powerful sword isn't the Masamune when it says Masamune on my screen. Sorry everyone, Cloud doesn't have a "buster sword" although thats what is said, its really called a Ping Pong Paddle. Sorry for the confusion.

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

No, by those standards you arent in FFVI, because he's General Leo in Japanese, too. Just because you arent interested in the true names of things, the names that were needlessly changed by the translators, doesnt mean everyone else isnt. If you don't care, that's fine, but a lot of us do.

But of course, in your theory, that means the FF Legend games were actually FF games, yes? Because they're FF games in America, and Japan clearly doesnt matter, despite having been the ones to make the games and give them names.

Good call Abominatrix. I'm wrong.

But they shouldn't call it a Masamune unless its really a masamune. Not my fault those guys cant translate. It said masamune..

Recognized Member TheAbominatrix's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You

Well you're right when we're talking English versions, but when we're talking about the series as a whole, it's important to acknowledge the Japanese, because Masamune is one of those 'constants' of the series.

During the pre-Playstation days, the translators seemed to change things just for the heck of it. Plus, there was also the space issue. ___ 3 black spaces can fit a lot more in Japanese than ___ 3 can in English.