american football - rugby aint it?
    No not at all really.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chevy owns.

1. Root beer is just a type of soda-no alcohol.
    2. A corn dog, is a breaded hot dog on a stick
    3. Baseball-it's part of that whole stuff that goes with America: Apple Pie, Baseball, and all that other good stuff.
    4. Wendy's is just another fast-food hamburger place.
    5. If you're rich and/or like spending money-Folley's, Armani, Neman and Marcus. . .but if you like to save/or are broke-Walmarts, sometimes Target
    6. Don't know, never been there.
    7. Don't know, ain't got cable. . .

And I saw someone had a question about how long we're in School.

All school are different per state.

Blog Entries

Bugger reading this, everytime I read a new page another spawns at the end.

A question:

1. HOW MANY DAMN TIMES DO THE SAME QUESTIONS HAVE TO BE ANSWERED OVER AND OVER

P.S: American Football = Rugby for pussies.

there was a picture here

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

European Football > American football

LET THE HAMMER FALL

This is where I jump in. It appears you all need my help. I am british, living in the united states. So, let me mediate all of this for you.

I speak american because I was raised here, but my mother and ALL her family is english/irish. My mum raised me, so I know a LOT about english and irish culture and prefer it to many americanized versions of what england has.

Firstly I'll address the spelling. The word Colour/color and Harbour/harbor sound the same in english, however in american harbour and colour would be pronounced harboor and coloor, which is incorrect. So, to eliminate confusion they dropped the u. Also if you look at all languages that have been cut off from its mother country. Australians speak differently than english as well. If you take a Brazilian to Portugal, a Quebecios to France and a Mexican to Spain, they'd all have problems speaking because of the different dialects in which their contries language has evolved. Its not an american thing at all.

Next, The first post asked a few questions that weren't specified properly. Root Beer was said as a soft drink/soda/pop and left at that. For all they really know it could taste like pepsi, or watermelon. No one specified the taste. Its hard to describe the peculiar taste of root beer because its not one specific taste. it is the combination of vanilla, sasparilla, sassafras root, anise and molasses among other things. The strongest of those ingredients is the sassafras root, giving it the name root beer.

next issue. One of the british posters here said that the brits invented the car. Well, sure, if you think everyone uses steam cars... the germans were the SOLE makers of the first gasoline powered car.
    Now adressing the issue of best cars. If you want to go by looks, no one can truly say which is best because its all opinion. However, Consumer Reports, which is one of the worlds top product testing companies claims the top car makers are (in alphabetical order, not from best to worst) Acura, Honda, Lexus, Saab, Subaru, Toyota. So.. If I'm not mistaken. Neither American nor british car companies are on that list. Looks mostly Japanese or German in there. Acura and Lexus I'm unsure of.

Oh, yes.. Wendy's. What separated Wendy's from McDonalds and Burger King is that they use square burger patties rather than circular ones. After Dave Thomas (owner of Wendy's, not the canadian actor) made his restaurant, named after his red haired daughter, a fast food chain he needed something else that the other franchises didnt. So he examined the menus of McDonald's, Burger King and a few other lesser known fast food stores and realized that they did not offer any desserts (this was back in the early 80's i believe) and so he created a half water, half milk based frozen treat and named it the frosty. Since then the frosty has gone under several changes to make it taste better (it used to have a chalky taste) and so that people who are lactose intolerant could enjoy it as well. Since then Wendy's has become the "dieter's fast food place". They offer numerous low fat/low carb alternatives that Burger King and McDonalds has tried to emulate without success. It is said that is 20 years there will be more Wendy's than Burger Kings because of a combination of our tastes changing and bad publicity McDonald's has gained from numerous lawsuits and surveys. The majority of people who get turned off of mcDonald's seek their fast food needs at wendy's.

The "best" department store is all opinion. However it is true that Wal*Mart has the top sales among department stores. In the past there have been a few other top names in the department store wars. Sears-Roebuck was the top name for years. K-Mart os another name that popped up a lot but recently they've lost a lot of ground from a slew of different problems. the immergence of Wal*Mart and its lowest possible prices, Martha Stewart (One of their top spokeswomen) had her scandal and her association with K-Mart dropped veiws lower, followed by Rosie O'Donnell (another past K-Mart spokeswoman) becoming a lesbian (much of america is still anti-homosexual and any company that has ties to homosexuality is liable to take considerable losses). All of these put together caused K-Mart to recently go bankrupt. Another company has recently picked up the K-Mart franchise kept its name and many of its stores.

The BBC, to my expanded knowledge, is not an official network that we can pick up on standard cable television. It is a possibility that it can be found on satellite. I do know that several brtish sitcoms can be foung on our PBS, which is generally seen as an educational. It stands for Public Broadcasting Station. It is not funded by any corporation, but by its veiwers. They hold bi-annual telethons to raise the money to keep the station on the air. Part of this money comes from the BBC, in which in return, PBS plays several television shows from the BBC. The Black Adder series, Keeping Up Appearances, Mr. Bean, among many others are routinely shown. PBS is NOT a cable natwork it is a standard network accessible to all much like NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox.

Flags on houses... Um, not all but many houses have some sort of patriotic symbol displayed. From a flag to a ribbon tied around a tree, e Americans love our country and are proud to say so. While we are divided on who should lead our country, we are united in the idea that our country is the best in the world and for that many other countries dislike us. They hate us enough to capture our planes and drive them into our buildings. But what they had not anticipated was that in such a defiant action, it unified our country more than it had been since the return of our troops from World War II.

Corn Dogs are a smaller frankfurter on a stick then dipped in a cornmeal batter and fried/baked (depending on how you prefer to make it) Many feel the taste of corndogs are disgusting, whereas many feel they are delicious. Its all a matter of taste.

Onto sports. Its hard to say what sport is the most popular because its an opinion of which is the best. In winter the majority will say Football, in summer they say baseball. Of if you ask a basketball fan any time of yoer they say basketball. I noticed you left out Hockey. Dispite my personal distaste for hockey, where I live it is the sport of choice. In general I'd say most of americans like football the most. Baseball has lost a lot of interest due to the fact that is a slower moving game, and less scoring than football and basketball. Basketball is unique because there are 2 'leagues" in which basketball is played popularly. there is professional basketball, which has teams like the New York Knicks, L.A. Lakers and Chicago Bulls. and there is the NCAA, which is a group of collegiate teams playing for a spot in the tournament at the end of their season. the term "march madness" is used for this tournament and they play a win and go on style tournament, where teams are seeded and exponentially go down in number until they are down to one final victor. The 4 best teams in the NCAA are referred to as the "Final Four". NCAA also has a football league of colleges with a full season. However, in lieu of playoffs they have the BCS. (I do not know what it stands for) It is a team of people and a computer who rank the teams in the NCAA and at the season they place teams in a "Bowl game". There has been much dispute over how teams are placed in certain bowl games but I'm not a fan of NCAA so i don't go into logistics. In summary I'd say that Football is the most popular sport in the USA, but Baseball, Basketball and Hockey do have large followings.

I'm going to go make dinner, a typical USA dinner of Macaroni and Cheese (not kraft in the box, but homemade). If any other british have questions about america, i will be more than happy to explian in full detail.

RC

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    Current RPGs: Final Fantasy XII

the germans make the best cars.....everyone knows that!! Hitler owned the first ever VW Beetle!!

Kagga
    Here I am to save the day!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

Britain in fact did invent the game of Football/soccer

my theory was they were drunk but everyone calls me a retard for it.

Hitler was Austrian not German

so what i mean is

what age do americans start and finish school?

in the UK it's 11 years in school 5-16 and at least 2 years of college or something

LET THE HAMMER FALL

wow. This is being taken really seriously!

I will say that I am English, and I LOVE TEA. I drink it at 5.00pm in the evening (high tea as it is known) and lots of other times too.

~##

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

Did someone ask why everyone hates America or vice versa? Here's your reason.

90% of the population: Man I hate the French! They're such pussy (cats)!
    10%: Why's that?
    90%: Because they won't fight in the war!
    10%: Yeah, their prime minister is the entire population of France.
    90%: Oh, uh... I meant they sucked at WWII!
    10%: Yeah! The past DEFINITELY dictates how the people are now! Why, I suppose us Americans still like to enslave black people and put Japanese people in internment camps!
    90%: Did I say the French? I really meant the Indians!
    10%: ....

*Another country does something strange or makes a mistake*
    90%: OMFG THAT COUNTRY SUX. OMG OMG WE'RE SO PERFECT!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shoden

what age do americans start and finish school?

in the UK it's 11 years in school 5-16 and at least 2 years of college or something
    We got to grade school from age 4/5 to 11 or so then middle schooluntil 14 or 15 then high school until 17/18 then if you choose you can go to college until however long you like.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spiff
    5. Cheerios?
    I think it's funny how none of the British people seemed to get that joke. Or any other of the jokes that Spiff's posted. (Save for Psy, of course)

American schooling is similar to europe, but its what we teach that differs.

Often children at the age of 4 are placed in "Pre-School" this is to get children accustomed to group learning. They mostly play interactive games like musical chairs and duck, duck, goose. Also they are taught base colors, if they do not know them already.

After pre-school children go through 13 years of schooling. The first year is called Kindergarten. its german for child yard, which makes not a lot of sense. Since pre-school is not mandatory, many parents do not send their children there and kindergarten is basically slightly advanced pre-school. In addition to colors they are taught letters and numbers, sesame street stuff. After this the grades are numbered 1-12. 1-5th grade is called "elementary" school, 6-8th is called "middle school and 9-12 is called High School. More recently, many children, since they skipped pre-school have a hard time adjusting to the group environs. So instead of moving onto 1st grade, or re-taking 1st grade the are moved to pre-first, where they focus more on group activities and developmental skills than learning factual information. The average age of a High school graduate is 18, but in the coming years when the first "pre-first" generation comes there will be many 19 year olds among the graduating classes.

One of the major differences between american schooling and european schooling is the introduction of languages. In every school I've seen here in america the introduction of French, Spanish OR Latin (sometimes German) isn't until 6th or 7th grade and isn't a mandatory subject until high school. Whereas, from what I've learned of eeuropean culture, children are taught foreign languages at a much earlier grade level.

Also, College is not mandatory. In France if you pass certain exams you go to college for free.

Yeah, I can't explain why americans think british say Cheerio all the time. I think one famous british chap said it a lot back in the day and now all americans think all british say "pip, pip. Cheerio!"
    Last edited by RedCydranth; 06-09-2005 at 12:06 AM.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    Current RPGs: Final Fantasy XII

What do most British people think of the James Bond movies?

Why did you inflict the Spice Girls on the rest of the world?

WTF? http://www.chavscum.co.uk