Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on ff2 last boss

Default Need help on ff2 last boss

Is there a trick or something? I "leveled" up my characters a lot, but I'm still taken out after a few physical attacks of his.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Use the blood swords and he goes down fast.

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero
    Use the blood swords and he goes down fast.
    So I've heard, but where are they?

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

One can be found inside of Phin Castle's basement, t'other is given to you by Paul (thief/ninja guy, his name changes all the time) as part of his "stash" in Phin if memory serves me correctly.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Anothr sword which will help loads throughout the WHOLE of FF2 is the Ancient Blade, which curses the enemy almost 100% of the time...it really helped with the fights with Satan, Astaroth and Tiamat.

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

So I've heard, but where are they?
    On DoS, you have to get it before you do the Cyclone (and there's only one). I beleive Origins has one under Castle Fynn, though.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Anothr sword which will help loads throughout the WHOLE of FF2 is the Ancient Blade, which curses the enemy almost 100% of the time...it really helped with the fights with Satan, Astaroth and Tiamat.
    Helps, but the blood swords wipe the floor with a majority of the bosses within the castle of hell.

No way man, no way, Ancient blade is incredibly helpful...where bosses would normally deal like 2k damage and take about 20 damage, the Ancient blade seems to flip that around making the boss take 2K damage and deal roughly 20!

How can that not be useful?

The blood sword IS alot more useful in my opinion though, as it deals tons of damage and effectively keeps the character using it alive forever!

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

No way man, no way, Ancient blade is incredibly helpful...where bosses would normally deal like 2k damage and take about 20 damage, the Ancient blade seems to flip that around making the boss take 2K damage and deal roughly 20!
    Equip both.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

If you're having trouble with taking straight up physical hits from the emperor...

The emperor's strength is 180 and he hits 8 times per attack. Unadulterated that's quite a bit of damage. Defense will only help a little bit. Focus on evasion instead. By raising defense you'll only lower 8 damage at a time. By raising evasion you'll lower 180 damage at a time! How do you raise evasion? Be the target of physical attacks, cast Blink (should be about level 8 ), and unequip armor and shields. That's right, in order to take less damage, you have to use flimsy armor. The Ninja Gear has no evasion penalty whatsoever. The Genji Armor has an evasion penalty of 79.

Ahhh, the things they don't tell you in the manual...

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power
    One can be found inside of Phin Castle's basement, t'other is given to you by Paul (thief/ninja guy, his name changes all the time) as part of his "stash" in Phin if memory serves me correctly.
    I think I sold both of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    If you're having trouble with taking straight up physical hits from the emperor...

The emperor's strength is 180 and he hits 8 times per attack. Unadulterated that's quite a bit of damage. Defense will only help a little bit. Focus on evasion instead. By raising defense you'll only lower 8 damage at a time. By raising evasion you'll lower 180 damage at a time! How do you raise evasion? Be the target of physical attacks, cast Blink (should be about level 8 ), and unequip armor and shields. That's right, in order to take less damage, you have to use flimsy armor. The Ninja Gear has no evasion penalty whatsoever. The Genji Armor has an evasion penalty of 79.

Ahhh, the things they don't tell you in the manual...
    Since my blood swords were probably stolen, I'll switch to light armor. Thanks!

EDIT: Please use the edit button instead of double posting. -Murder

I beat it. The trick is to just attack with magic, and not stop. He only has 10000 HP. Doing an average of about 1300-1500 point of damage total per round, the physical attacks would mean very little unless done in every turn. He didn't use any! It really wasn't that hard after all.

(this doesn't count as double posting, does it? It's a new thought, and was posted long after the previous one.)

It's a double post, I'm sure someone will edit it out soon...

The emperor in the FC version had 2/8 action slots filled with physical attacks, meaning he'd attack roughly 1/4 of the time. As far as just using magic, it depends. He's resistant to all 8 elements, absorbs dimension and death spells, and no obvious weaknesses. This means unless you're casting non-elemental spells (flare, holy and ultima) you're not going to do much damage.

Racially he is an air being and an earth being. I can't remember right off the bat if that means he's weak to both air and earth, or resistant to both.

Physically, he can only dodge one attack, so you'll do almost full damage. His magic defense is 16.

Judge for yourself what your tactics should be.

Quote Originally Posted by DJZen
    This means unless you're casting non-elemental spells (flare, holy and ultima) you're not going to do much damage.
    Lvl 8 Flare (Firion) Lvl 9 Ultima (Maria) Lvl 7 Holy (the other two) I just couldn't consistently do any significant damage with physical attacks (i had lvl 3 aura).

Aura won't help against the emperor. It just adds elemental properties to your attacks. Considering he's resistant to all elements, you're just doing him a favor. Berserk + haste will get you better results.