Thread: New Player

PillowFighter/VampySlayer =Angelus='s Avatar

Default New Player

Heys... i recently borrowed the disc for Final Fantasy IX from my fren and started playing it... honestly, it was quite fun.. an now i know that the person with the white hood wasn't a guy

but anyways.. just wondering if i can get any help?.. anything i should know about the game while playing it? tricks, secrets, combos etc...

i just got to the part of Dali's village.. about to board that airship after rescuing Vivi
    Steiner seems to be my strongest character, dealing 200+ dmg
    Zidane has the highest hp so far, dealing decent dmg arnd 100+
    Vivi... unstable amounts of dmg, anything from 50-200
    Dagger... well.... sorta kept in the dark, doing nothing else but healing.. shes supposed to be strong with those summons right?

and still don't quite get the Trance thing... is there any way to fill it faster? :s

haha... ya... i think i'm a little bad at these games... help? anyone?

LittleMissAwesome will always be my favourite Twin!!
    ~We lose the certain things, as we seek the uncertain ones..~

By now, I think you don't need to know any tricks o.o; Perhaps the Cotton Robe one, but... xP

And about your characters. Yup, your Steiner is quite strong, Zidane is okay too. Vivi... it depends the magic you are using, Fire, Thunder, or Blizzard. Soe enemies are weak or strong to one or two of those. That's why his damage is unstable. I think. o.o

And Dagger... well, she can be strong with those Summons... only if you are a crazy and get that much of MP o.o; Don't worry, this will "change" in Disc 2 and 3 xD

And trance...? Yup, by now it's supposed to be filled slowly. Later on you will get an ability that makes Trance Bar fill faster. Don't worry about it by now. XD
    Quote Originally Posted by yours truly
    Rinoa Heartilly & Squall Leonheart = Isabella Swan & Edward Cullen.

Don't try and argue with it. You know it's true. =O

Abilities like Bird Killer, Beast Killer, Man Eater etc. are important for physical attack characters like Steiner and Zidane as all of them, once learned and equipped, can add 50% more damage to almost all enemies in the game.

Remeber to get the Running Shoes for they have the best ability in the game, Auto-Haste (speeds up the attack rate). You can first get this in disc 1 after returning to Alexandria Castle and going to the library, reading the book on top of a shelf there and defeating the optional boss. Without spoiling anything major, the time to first get the Running Shoes is when you return to Alexandria Castle and see a 30 minute time limit. You should get some strategies for the boss when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by FinalBob42
    Abilities like Bird Killer, Beast Killer, Man Eater etc. are important for physical attack characters like Steiner and Zidane as all of them, once learned and equipped, can add 50% more damage to almost all enemies in the game.

Remeber to get the Running Shoes for they have the best ability in the game, Auto-Haste (speeds up the attack rate). You can first get this in disc 1 after returning to Alexandria Castle and going to the library, reading the book on top of a shelf there and defeating the optional boss. Without spoiling anything major, the time to first get the Running Shoes is when you return to Alexandria Castle and see a 30 minute time limit. You should get some strategies for the boss when you get there.
    You can't fight the book in Disc 1. Even if you could, it'd be ridiculously hard.
    You can fight the book in Disc 2 (it isn't reccomended) or Disc 3 (fight him here because you won't have a time limit).
    And Auto-Haste isn't nearly the besy ability in the game. Auto-Life is better, Auto-Regen is waaay better (even though Auto-Haste + Auto-Regen is a great combo). A lot of abilities are better than Auto-Haste, IMO.

Ummm... I would say, always make sure you learn the ability of the items you have equiped before equiping new and better ones. Also make sure you activate your abilities, I'm sure you know how to do this by now.
    [center]
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

garnets summons arent supposed to be used until a lot later on and youl have to level her a long way if you want to use them early on.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I believe her summons revolve around a major plot point and leveling up early wouldn't help you use them any sooner. Anyway, you really don't need them. The game isn't especially hard, at least where you are. If you do most of the random battles you come across and keep learning abilities you'll do fine.

.... dumb Beatrix...
    am i supposed to try defeating her now? cuz shes doing more damage than my Zidane! (700, whereas my Zidane's only doing 400) ...
    trying to see if any equipment can prevent thunder damage... and trying again.. wish me luck

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

tip for beatrix boss.your not supposed to win the fight you have to survive for long enough so have zidane occaisionally steal and everyone else use healing and the battle will be over and you might want freya to use jump to dodge some attacks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Or use one of the two cheap ways.

1- Have Quina with exactly one HP, and have it use Limit Glove. When Quina has 1 HP, Limit Glove causes 9999 damage, ending the fight. If Quina has 2+ HP, Limit Glove misses.

2- Do nothing. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. MAYBE you will want to keep Stealing from her. But you can do nothing, just revive deas members. After a ceratin amount of time, the battle ends.

Beatrix WILL win this fight, either way. Don't worry, you won't get a Game Over.

something else u should remember for if (when) u decide to play again u can steal a mage masher from baku at the very beginning....................and then u can steal a mythril sword from the ice giant sealion in the ice cavern.....................this should help you with the fact that zidane is only doing 100+ where i'm at with the mythril sword i do around 200

oh... didn't get the mythil sword at the cavern =S but i did get The Ogre, which helps do 200+ while against beatrix... however... my fren only lent me disc 1... so i'll have to wait for him to pass me the next disc, before i continue any further...

anyways, thanks all you guys for your help! =) really appreciate it!