Thread: Old vs. New vs. Newer, eh?

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Default Old vs. New vs. Newer, eh?

I've got a stack of RPGs to play, but I'd like to add Final Fantasy I and II to the list, as I've never gotten around to playing them. I was wondering, though, what the best way to go about it would be. Should I go for a rom of the original NES versions, seek out the Origins remake, or get Dawn of Souls for the GBA? I don't care about graphics that much, though I'll admit I'd probably enjoy the PS1 or GBA versions a bit more in that area. But is the dialogue and or story changed/made better at all in the updated versions? Is the wacky leveling system still in place for FFII in the PS1 and GBA versions? Which version of the two games will I get the most out of?
    I checked to see if there was another topic like this, and didn't see one for the last couple months, so apologies in advance if I missed it.

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

id say dawn of souls because FF2 on dawn of souls has a smallsequel afterwards called soul of rebirth and FF1 has 4 extra dungeons with bosses from FF 3,4,5 and 6.
    dawn of of souls is different because of monsters dont has the same amount as the originals but dawn of souls is the best one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Origins has art galleries that you unlock throughout the games and the best-quality graphics and music. Plus a couple FMVs and a treasure gallery that marks your progress in getting all the game's treasure chests, but they're not a big deal.

Dawn of Souls has four extensive semi-random dungeons with a ton of new enemies, items, and equipment to find, and that's just for FFI. FFII has a brief quest that's accessible after the beating the game once that brings some additional closure to the plot. Oh, and the dialogue is now accompanied by character portraits.

Both versions have detailed bestiaries for all the monsters you've fought.

never knew they were this different

now I'll have to play 'em

does anyone got the ROMs and care to share??

Origins. Dawn of Souls impanted the current MP in FFI, and I didn't like it. T_T Plus, NO SILVER SWORD IN ELF LAND! Ň_Ó
    Quote Originally Posted by yours truly
    Rinoa Heartilly & Squall Leonheart = Isabella Swan & Edward Cullen.

Don't try and argue with it. You know it's true. =O

you may as well get all of them.it builds up the collection.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Origins and Dawn of Souls both sound like they have advantages, so it'll probably come down to which I can find easily and for the best price. Thanks for the info.

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Personally I've completed both the NES, Origins and DoS versions. Then again I have way too much time on my hands.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

I've played all the versions and I like what they've done with DOS. I think the character sprites in FF2 on the NES look WAY better than the remakes though. That bugs me alot, but I suppose it's no big deal.
    Not ALL White Mages are girls!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think the best way to play an RPG for the first time is on a console. I'd go with Origins, it also the best adaptation in my opinion.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Difficulty in Dawn of Souls has been completely nerfed in comparison to the originals. This is more evident in FF1. The challenge in FF1 was having the patience to level yourself through slow and tedius random battles with a rather substancial exp to next level. Otherwise, the game wasn't complicated. FF1 DoS is also uncomplicated, but levelling has been turbocharged, and the TNL's have been reduced substancially. With the new MP system, any party with a White mage and Heal spells is nigh invincible.
    Knock yourselves down.

but still all f them re good and if your a ollector as well as a player you ont have to ply all of them.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Play the NES ROMs first. If nothing else, you'll better appreciate what the oldschoolers went through to enjoy their RPG goodness. You might be put off by the clumsier engines and lack of clear directions (in FFI most of your directions are learned by talking to nondescript NPCs), but there's still a lot of fun to be had.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

The tedium at hand in the original version of FFII approaches the kind seen in a Dragon Quest game.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

As I've got a Dreamcast ROM disc with about 130 NES games on it, including FFI and II, I'll probably play those first, at least for a few hours, and see if I find it enjoyable enough to continue. I generally play RPGs for the story and characters, and a lot of random battles can be really boring, but it sounds like getting Dawn of Souls will be an answer to that problem. I'm about to beat Lunar 2, and the battles in that have just about driven me crazy, so I think I'm going to wait and play something less battle heavy next. Still, thanks for all the advice.