Thread: Dreamcast won't read discs

Default Dreamcast won't read discs

I think my 'cast may be dying. It won't read discs anymore. When I put it a game disc and turn it on it goes to the DC Icon that always shows when you boot it up, but it' spends about a minute trying to read the disc and spins it WAY to fast, then it goes to the DC main menu. I go to the "Game" option then a pop-up comes up saying "insert proper game disc". I cleaned the lens with rubbing alcohol and it still didn't work.

I think I gotta take it apart and clean out the disc read but I don't know how.

Any ideas?

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Probably dying. How old is it?

Old-Ones Studios Cruise Control's Avatar

It's cause it's a dreamcast, that might be why it's practically dead in america
    Leave some shards under the belly
    Lay some grease inside my hand
    It's a sentimental jury
    And the makings of a good plan

Hsu- I had it for almost six years.

It's dead now anyway. I opened it up and tried to recalibrate it like this guide showed me, but I accidently unplugged the little ribbon that was connected to the lens reader. I reconnected it but it still can't read discs. I think the disc drive is broken beyond repair.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    Figaro Castle

I bought one about 6 months ago for 10 bucks, so you can probably just get a cheap replacement.

I would of said open it up and clean its insides, as i did this with my PS2 ( smurfing Disc Read Errors ) and now it works better than fine.
    Buy another if you miss it so bad ....

I bought a new Dreamcast for 20 dollars. It works great but I have one ANNOYING problem. The internal battery is so worn out it can't hold a charge. Each time I turn it on I need to reset the system clock. I took the working battery out of my old Dreamcast but I had to break off the rods hoplding it in place. Is there a guide that shows how to replace the battery without breaking any parts?