Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Racism in FFXI

Do certain classes/races in the game stick together and act a certain way towards the other classes/races? Like they are better than them or something? This is important information to me if I ever decide to buy the game down the road.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Sometimes the Tarutarus line up in Jeuno and go AFK.

There are some linkshells that are themed as "all [insert race here]" linkshells but beside that, not really.

Some people hate other players based on race and voice it in a very vulgar non-RP way. Also, many people won't invite race/job combos that aren't liked such as Elvaan or Galka mages and Tarutaru melee. There definitely is a social ranking based on jobs. Rare jobs that are in high demand are treated very well while more common jobs are considered refuse.
    Not ALL White Mages are girls!

Certain jobs and races tend to have behavioral similarities. It's most prevalent amongst Windurstians. Taru dances, extra frequent emotes, Taru-rhyme-speak, Taru players tend to act the part moreso than other races, in my experience. I've seen many a Mithra play out the flirtiness and rolling R's in text also. This is probably because they can do so without causing any offense. If an Elvaan played to the race's arrogance, or Galkas to their anger, they might cause misunderstandings. Humes really weren't given as much of an angle to latch on to.

That said, I don't think there's any interracial conflict. Yes, I was once sat on by a Galka as my Taru, and I'm often the butt of many height jokes, but fortunately they stay jokes. Galkas face jokes as being big and sweaty. I've offered many a Galka a free casting of Deodorize.

If there's any offensive racial issues in the game, it probably comes in the form of crude autotranslator sexual shouting in reference to Mithra, but really, noone takes it seriously. That sort of "OMG he said boob *giggle" humor died in 3rd grade.

The only discrimination in the game is job class based. Melee damage dealers are second class citizens. Tanks get by pretty well, and mages/support jobs get more respect than they deserve. I'm a mage, and I get more respect than I deserve.

All that aside, as long as you have the patience to wait for a party, and you don't try anything new or creative, you'll get along just fine. Your good reputation, or at the least, your lack of a bad reputation will matter much more than your race or job. This game isn't so much about roleplaying as it is about efficient level raising. If you can put out the big numbers, noone would care what you were.
    Knock yourselves down.

i'm an Elvaan and this Tarutaru tried to bite my knee...

Quote Originally Posted by Yuffie514
    i'm an Elvaan and this Tarutaru tried to bite my knee...
    He probably just found that to be funny. I do that to my friends when I'm bored, too. =/

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The racism runs rampant through this game. An Elvaan NPC called me a hume "shrimp" and now I hate all Elvaans forever. Long eared arrogant freaks.

And don't even get me started on the untrustworthiness of Mithras (not suprising given that they're all Men). Put on some damn pants! Galkas are even worse, always whining and complaining about being treated as second class citizens. Well maybe if they weren't so fat, they might be treated better. Atkins, anyone? The Tarus aren't as bad but that's only because their sole purpose on Vana'diel is to provide amusement for the other races. They're useful to punt around for fun and boy is it hilarious to see a Taru get knocked out in one hit because of their atrocious HP.

Humes are good at everything. Or more accurately, we excel at absolutely nothing. We are the models of mediocrity.

Freakin' Elvaan/Mithra/Galka/Taru/Humes.

Quote Originally Posted by Garland
    All that aside, as long as you have the patience to wait for a party, and you don't try anything new or creative, you'll get along just fine.
    I love that sentence right there.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

That Three Kingdoms elvaan NPC called me a "ball of fur". I hate elvaans. Apart from that, I haven't noticed too much of it, except the japanese people tend to stick to themselves. When it comes to strange race/job choices, I don't care too much about that when picking party members :P. Sure, if there's both a galka whm and a taru whm LFPing, I choose the taru, but I don't think "omg he sux bt i have no choice" if there's only a galka avaliable.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I rarely have job/racial problems. I do notice that all (well ok not all but alot) of Elvaan players tend to act a little...more arrogant and RWAR I R MELEE BLAOW BLAOW! Kinda thing. Sometimes it gets too much D:

Most real female Mithras i played with are actually kinda either playful or flirtious...and Tarus tend to be either silly/reserved or just stupid depending on the job they play(mage Tarus tend to think they are too good while most melee ones are the former). Humes depends, Humes with hair are more polite and usually mage classes more than bald ones. I havent seen alot of Galkas lately but most are pretty polite with the few exceptional molestation ones XD;

I say as long as you try something different and prove that it works in most situations, (like with statistics and every detail) then it will eventually be accepted. Theres a difference between a WAR/WHM and a properly equipped post 51 NIN/BLM and those that say SUBJOB COMBOS DO NOT MATTER! I PLAY WHAT I LIEK SCEW J00! >_>a

Japanese players can either stick to themselves and greif NA players, or they can be one of the nicest. Japanese people are quite selective about foreigners(their kanji even says that) and would rather stay with people they can talk with. Actual race discrimmination only comes with newb players, poorly equipped players, or in tough HNM or BC Battles where its exponentially hard, and race just might make a little difference there. Otherwise nope, i rarely see any discrimmination. Of course i would say that a Galka WHM with search comments will outbeat any Taru WHM without one seeking any day.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

I'm not racist against a race... but i love to step on my taru friends . I'm an elvaan. Although i hate the taru npcs that somehow find a way to incorporate the word "taru" in all of their sentences... so i guess i hate all taru npcs :rolleyes2.
    You learn to get smarter,
    The more you learn the more you forget,
    The more you forget the dummer you get,
    So tell me, why learn?

Red Lotus LS

Ohhhseee nooeeesseeeeyy!! ; ;

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

The only real race descrimination you'll come across in-game is from the NPCs. I've noticed that there are always hardcore nationalists in Windurst, San d'Oria, and Bastok. However, in San d'Oria most all NPCs seem to be racist, but you get over that quickly.

As an Elvaan I occasionally went into Elvaan-supremacy mode, but that was mainly in playful linkshell arguments over what race was best.

As a taru, I do act quite silly. I have a set of macros for emotes including things such as giggle, huggle, and the taru panic dance. I don't speak like a taru NPC often, but I do generally act a little childish. I suppose it just happens naturally that you end up playing the part.

I've noticed that people seem to care less and less about race/job combinations as they level up and there are always factors that will over-ride any doubts of your capabilities.

I've played as a taru WAR and now I'm playing taru DRK and I've never had any real trouble getting a party. As a WAR I was the main tank on many occasions and I did just fine.

As long as you can show that you know what you're doing (use search comments, use food, keep up to date with equipment, and raise your rank at the appropriate times) nobody will have any reason to hate on you because of your race or your job. Except maybe those Elvaan NPCs.

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

I have a love/hate relationship with Tarus.

I love the Taru dance, but I HATE how everything has to rhyme and end with "aru". God do I hate that... But Tarus ARE filled with a delicious nougat center, so I can't bring myself to hate them.

I tend to be racist againts mithras...why? Because I'm elvaan and don't have a cool tail like they do!!!!! *cry cry*

But yeah what zaphy waphy said was correct like OMG Sandy!!!! really racist againts like any other nation.....we're insecure most of the time xD
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Everyday I wish that I could be the one, for you...