Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Too many characters

Chrono Cross had too many characters. If you had a sniper rifle and could 'eliminate' 3 of them, who would you cap off and which Chrono Trigger entities (could be a character, NPC, enemy, or boss) would you replace them with?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Remove: Guile, Glenn, Leah.
    Replace: Magus, Frog, Ayla.

Really, though, I'd eliminate Korcha, Poshul, Luccia, Razzly, Zappa, Orcha, Macha, Leena, Miki, Janice, Draggy, Starky, Lucky Dan, Turnip, Neo Fio, Greco, Skelly, Funguy, Irenes, Mel, Leah, Van, Sneff, Steena, Doc, Grobyc, Pierre, Orlha, and Pip. Not that there's anything wrong with some of those characters, but they just didn't have any business joining the playable cast, and taking them out still leaves a good fifteen characters, which is still a huge cast for an RPG of this kind.

And I wouldn't replace any of them with anyone from Chrono Trigger because 44 playable Chrono Trigger characters would be just as bad as 44 playable Chrono Cross characters.

I hate Pierre, Funguy and that clown skeleton...What was his name again? If I had the chance to switch them for CT characters, I'd put Frog, Crono and Magus.

Soylent green is people! Wiegrahf42's Avatar

I second taking out Pierre. The guy's an insult to the French. I would probably replace him with Cyrus, need a real swordsman. Or Frog. Crono would be nice too. I have heard rumors that Toma and Schala were originally going to join the party, So I may switch them for Funguy or Poshul. Schala was going to do dual techs with Magus (thats where his went) so I'd probably swap Magus for Guile. I kind of like Skelly since it was an inventive sidequest.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War room"

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Toma and Sara were never meant to be playable characters.

Soylent green is people! Wiegrahf42's Avatar

Just a rumor I heard. Though we must admit it would have been interesting. File it under General Leo and Aeris ressurection.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War room"

What 'kishi said, basically, although there are a couple of characters from his list that I'd probably keep regardless. However, the inclusion of characters like Turnip, NeoFio, Mojo, and a few others makes me wonder what the game designers were thinking.

Really, I think eliminating half the playable cast and adding Miguel as a PC would've made the game far better.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

I'd like to see Marcy, Pierre, Korcha and Van brutally slaughtered, just because I really, really hate those guys. Then I'd like to see Sneff, Doc and Starky replaced with Magus, Frog and Lavos. Because having Lavos as a playable character would be awesome.

I like Grobyc, but I'd like to see him as a red innate, because I can't use him with Lynx without duplicating black innate, which I don't like to do.
    Kuanisa i prendo mjarê tai... I GUESECATHAR AÇLAINA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
    Remove: Guile, Glenn, Leah.
    Replace: Magus, Frog, Ayla.

Really, though, I'd eliminate Korcha, Poshul, Luccia, Razzly, Zappa, Orcha, Macha, Leena, Miki, Janice, Draggy, Starky, Lucky Dan, Turnip, Neo Fio, Greco, Skelly, Funguy, Irenes, Mel, Leah, Van, Sneff, Steena, Doc, Grobyc, Pierre, Orlha, and Pip. Not that there's anything wrong with some of those characters, but they just didn't have any business joining the playable cast, and taking them out still leaves a good fifteen characters, which is still a huge cast for an RPG of this kind.

And I wouldn't replace any of them with anyone from Chrono Trigger because 44 playable Chrono Trigger characters would be just as bad as 44 playable Chrono Cross characters.
    (SPOILER)But you need Starky near the end. he's kind of important.

(SPOILER)I'm sure they could have rewritten the story to make his presence less necessary. Then again, changing too much is probably a bad idea.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default characters

I think that all the 45 playable characters are great. It was interesting to be able to get all of them. It makes the games completely unique and fun. and yes I said 45, I do count (SPOILER)getting Lynx when you switch bodies as a playable character.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Magus
    But you need Starky near the end. he's kind of important.
    Just because he helped the party doesn't mean he had to join them. That goes for a lot of the characters I listed.

true, i must agree that there was way too many characters joining your party, i had the feeling that it was almost -Hey you're the friend of my uncle's great grandfather's 2nd cousin's neighbor! i'll join your party. :rolleyes2

If you do the math, you find that you can make 14,190 different parties if you do new game+ and have all the characters. This is in comparison to CT's 35 unique parties.
    Kuanisa i prendo mjarê tai... I GUESECATHAR AÇLAINA!!!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Have you made them all? I'm only up to 7843.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum