Thread: Fans

Default Fans

This isn't a rant, just a poll of sorts.

This topic is to discuss fans, and their definitions. Specifically, what gives the fan the right to be a fan of certain teams.

Now, this is my take on it. I'm a very closed-minded person, as you all know, and it's not something I want to work on, because it's the way I am. What brings this topic to mind is the fact that the Red Sox and Rangers are currently involved in a series, and, like all across the country, the Red Sox have an enormous following. I had a long discussion with my grandfather on this issue. Now, what right to these "fans" have to be a Red Sox fan? Because they're winning? I consider that absolutely shameful. If fandom was the way I wanted it, every person who grew up in a certain area would support that place's accepted home team, and that would be it. No, you shouldn't become a fan of a different team for ANY reason - in reality, the reason that often propels people to change allegiance, or gain an allegiance, is a winning philosophy. This doesn't just apply to the Red Sox, of course. It applies to the Yankees of the late '90s, the Cowboys of the early '90s, and (in an attempt to reach out to the Brits out there) Liverpool of the '70's.

What are your opinions on this issue? Do you feel that a person has a right to decide what team they are a fan of for whatever reason (which most of the time is winning), or do think that a person should support the hometown team?

* This, of course, does not apply to, for example, a person who grew up in Illinois as a Cubs fan moving to St. Louis and remaining a Cubs fan. IMO, there's no problem with something like this.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

To be a fan, all you have to do is like something. Maybe I'd think it was dumb, but why should we judge what other people are interested in? Let them enjoy whatever teams/things they want to.

I don't like people who take winning teams. I remember when the Red Wings had one two consecutive Stanley Cups. My cousin would wake up the morning and say his favorite team was Detroit. The next year, it was Colorado. I mean, WTF. No, you don't have to be born in the place to support them. I watch the NFL and I have a favorite team and I don't even live there. (New York Giants BTW )

I don't see a problem as long as they don't pick a team because they're winning.

to be a true fan, you have to stick with your team through the good and especially the bad - for example: i have loved the detroit lions all my life because my uncle played for them back in the early 80s. now, i get made fun of A LOT because of the way their past seasons have been, but hey i dont care because how many people can say they have truly been a fan all their life and not just as long as the team is winning?

[leeza]Maximum sig height including image and all text: 250 pixels.[/leeza]

Lumberjack Recognized Member RSL's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Heh, no one can accuse me of liking my favorite team because they win a lot. (Detroit Lions).

Yeah, I don't like people who like the current hot team. That's not being a fan. Being with a team through the ups and downs is what it's all about. Like my example, if the Lions were to ever win a Super Bowl, I think it will be so much sweeter for me since I've been through lots of bad seasons. If someone else was to suddenly like them because they won the Super Bowl, and then they repeated and won again, that person wouldn't get near the satisfaction. Where's the fun in that?

There's a term for those people you don't like. I think it's "bandwagon hoppers". :\

I don't think bandwagon hoppers are legit, so I'm not one. I stuck with the Falcons when they sucked in the early 90s, and I was with the Braves until they won in 95 (well, not "until", because I still am). I don't have the time to follow the teams as much anymore, because I have other priorities these days, so I guess I don't consider myself as much of a fan anymore simply because I don't take the time to follow the progress of my teams and their players as much as I used to. :\

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

What if you move to a new place just *because* you're a fan? Unacceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by Neel
    There's a term for those people you don't like. I think it's "bandwagon hoppers". :\
    I purposely avoided using the term bandwagon fan because of its negative connotations.

Quote Originally Posted by rubah
    What real reason does that person have to become a fan of whatever team is in that place?

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by rubah
    What real reason does that person have to become a fan of whatever team is in that place?[/QUOTE]

You think I would know?

Go Apaches.

Over here, those people are commonly called "glory hunters". I see no reason why it's wrong, but, as has already been mentioned, they'll pay for it in decreased satisfaction when their "team of the moment" wins something. They won't get the same enjoyment out of it as a fan whose been through both good, and bad; the highs and the lows. It's their loss at the end of the day.
    Casteal is my little sister!

I don't think you have to automatically support a team just because there from your home town. As an example i'm a Liverpool fan even though i'm not from that area. I still check results for my home town team but I don't support them. People can support any team they want, be they close to home or the other side of the world, but once you pick a team you should stick with them.

I've been a Liverpool fan for the last 18 years, and for most of that time the team hasn't won very much, but i'd never change my colours. Any true fan would stick with there team through good and bad.

You'll always get glory supporters, who back the team that's just won something, if that's what they want to do let them. At the end of the day there the one's losing out