Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I defeat Wiegraf in Chapter 3?

i've always gone for the monk/squire and with the two sword abilities... but... i usually don't have a problem because by the time i get to wiegraf, i'm already level 70+. i like the summoner idea... but has anyone else beaten him in other job classes? i've taken him out as a ninja, lancer, knight, squire, monk. i've never tried to go as a magician cuz, well.. it suicidal, unless ur really good. i say we have a contest, beat wiegraf in the "weakest" state as possible.. like... a chemist.. or something...

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Azure Chrysanthemum's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chemist wouldn't be too terribly difficult, just equip a good gun, Auto-Potion, and Move +3. then run like hell and shoot Wiegraf until he dies.

hehe... i was thinking along those lines.. anything ranged and be used to pick him off is easy..

OMG THis is so gay! I am about to smurfing punch my goddamn tv. This damn battle is smurfing GAY. (I am at the same one, Wiegraf @ Riovannes.)

He kills me in three hits, AND he gets a free one at the start of battle. AND I saved over my backup before starting this battle for the first time b/c I was going out right after the one before it so I shut it off!!!! So I don't have any previous save files. I have spent FOREVER on this game so far and I might have to smurfing start over. I see no damn way to beat this battle.

I am level 22. You guys are talking about level 30-40, even 70? Why? The enemies level up with you. It must take a lot of extra battling. I don't really do any anymore, just the propositions.

Anyway, sorry about that outburst but this is gay. They've never pulled some crap like this before. The only other time they've made me fight by myself was with that fur coat guy, and that wasn't like this at all b/c you could open the gate and run away! If he was only attacking normally and doing 140 damage... Even if I walk right up to the bitch and put my back to him he runs away and does that smurfing sword thing.

I have squire and knight maxed. Not much else in the other ones, level 1 chemist so no magic, I can use potions though.

This is so bad, if I could just get past this idiot I'd be FINE! I just bought reraise (in the menu b4 the fight, the battle before this got me enough JP in my priest) and the Holy Knight's (forgot her name) last ability (it's actually the one that this bastard is using on me right now), she's like 80 JP away from mastery!

And it's impossible to run from him! Once you do it the first time he stays in the middle and if I try to go on the edge he catches me every time. I just tried the speed up thing, did it three times before I died and didn't once get two turns in a row.

I don't want to use anything other than guts and battle skill because all my others suck. If I could just get three at once or something.... I could speed up, use potions, AND power break. Or get more than two attacks on him... Then I could break his power down more.

I'm going to go try item + guts. Maybe with potions I can survive long enough to get to the point where I get two turns in a row.

Anyone got any suggestions besides a chamelean robe? Remember I don't have any saves besides the autosave between this battle and the one before it.

edit: I forgot to say that I DO have the best armor and sword and shield money can buy at this point in the game (on all my characters actually. Well, the best for their class anyway).
    Last edited by Russ80; 08-11-2005 at 07:52 PM.

I used Jumps and Auto-Potion, but I didn't really need the Jumps until Velius. If you can get Auto-Potion, throw out your Potions and Hi-Potions, so he's healing 150 every time he gets hit -- trust me, that helps a lot -- then, well, do whatever you want to him. Hit him, jump him, shoot him, cast spells on him, try to rob him blind if you've got the Thief skills.

Priest might be the hardest one to work with. You've got Holy, and that's it. Poor movement, poor speed, poor HP, poor Physical Power...you'd be about screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by darkblade117
    i usually don't have a problem because by the time i get to wiegraf, i'm already level 70+.
    Did you just play that long to get that much Experience, or is there some cheat to it? I wanna know.

I'm totally with the guy that posted a few replies up. I've got about 40 hours into the game, and Ramza is level
    23. It's the first time I've gone through this game (I have better things to do that beat the same 80-hour RPG
    a million times, so I'm sorry if I'm a "newb"), so I'm learning a lot as I go.

First, in every other Final Fantasy, one character is pretty much reserved for a certain function (Aerus is a healer,
    Irvine is a range expert, Vivi is a black mage, etc.). However, in Tactics, a characters job can be changed on
    a dime, and I didn't realize this until recently. The result: I can only use my level 23 Ramza who is a master
    Squire, Master Knight and sucky everything else.

Second, I came to the conclusion that leveling up was a waste of time because the monster battles level up with your
    character. So, even if I had a weak character I wanted to level up, it was pointless because the game would never
    get any easier. If the game never gets any easier, what's the point in leveling up? Recently, I discovered the
    propositions in the bars you can send your weaker characters on so that they can go out and get leveled. Result:
    I don't have a level 70 character like everyone else has.

Third, I don't have the chameleon robe or the bloodsword or anything else that I've heard suggested. I don't have
    the bloodsword because the battle where you get it is pretty difficult, so I didn't have the resources to go around
    trying to steal from random people (that, and I didn't have a strategy guide, which is the only way anyone could
    know how to get the bloodsword).

Fourth, like I said, I didn't realize that you could change characters jobs on the fly without damaging their
    skill at a certain job until recently, and I think that's the reason I can't change Ramza's job to a Lancer, and
    I don't even have the option to change anyone's job to a summoner or ninja or whatever.

Fifth, the damn game makes you save before the fight, and I didn't make a backup because I didn't realize what was
    going to happen when I went to Riovanes. If I had known it would be a 15-part battle where you couldn't stop
    to do any leveling or shopping, I would have done it, but this is the situation I'm in now.

This is really stupid! I've really been on the fense about this game from the get-go, and I've teatered and
    tottered on the like and hate sides, but I'm about to fall into the hate side. I'm so sick of hearing all this
    talk about how, "The battle is difficult, but it's possible if you equip your chameleon robe and bloodsword, and
    if you change your job to a level 500 lancer with all these abilities you'd better hope you have". I'm going to
    keep plugging at it, but it is absolutely stupid that there isn't an option to just leave the castle, do some
    shopping, do some leveling and come back in. If, by doing this option, you had to go back to the beginning of the
    castle, that'd be fine. But, I feel like now I'm at a situation where it's impossible to finish the game. This
    was piss-poor design on the parts of Squaresoft, and I'm HIGHLY disappointed.

My "thing" is to play games and write reviews about them on Myspace. I have about a hundred games lined up, and
    that happens every time I play an RPG because they take 2 months to finish. After I finish them, (because I have a
    life) I have to read smart-ass comments on message boards about "Oh, I can't believe it took you that long! I can
    finish Final Fantasy VII in 10 minutes!" Which, even if that was possible, I don't give a crap! It took me 45
    hours! If you think that was too long, you can kiss my butt!

At any rate, now that I've got it out of my system, I'm still gonna try to beat this guy (and after I do, I'm gonna
    jump up and down and wave my finger at the monitor (I'm playing on an emulator) and verbally put him in his place.

So, here's my strategy:
    The best way I've found so far is to change Ramza (I keep wanting to call him Zidane for some reason) to a chemist.
    It gives him less HP, but he has enough chemist skill to cast Hi-Potion, and he has a Mythril so I can get a
    good range shot on him. I also set Ramza's secondary skill to Time Mage, to which he can only use Haste. The enemy
    always casts the lightning shot first, so I pretty much have to start the battle down 140 HP (which is also bull
    sh*t). However, when it becomes my turn, I can cast Haste immediately, and I'll get a second turn. With these 2
    turns, I can cast one Hi-Potion and get far enough away to where he can't attack me on his next turn. From there,
    I've been working on the right combination of staying away, popping him with my Mythril Gun and keeping myself
    hasted to the point where I can defeat him.

I've also found that if I change Ramza to a black mage, he can get some decent damage with lightning 3. The problem
    with this is finding a turn where you could cast the spell immediately.

Here's the situation, however. I need to have a range attack, a hasting tool and a healing tool, but I can only
    have 2 of them (unless I wanna use Ramza as a Squire and Throw Stones, but please!). I've used the Squire technique
    a few times, but like my boy said a few posts ago, you can only caste 'Yell' a few times before the enemy catches up
    and squashes you. Just like bug!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I will not be restarting this game, so if it's a lost cause, I will not be
    completing Final Fantasy Tactics.

i have the same idiot problem it took me 20 hours and i have to do the game all over? =-0

im lvl 23 squire - knight maxed and the others suck, my highest in black mage is fira and he can 3 hit me..... the best way so far for me was with black mage he had 124 hp left and then he gets 2 turns in a row somehow and it really pisses me off.....................................
    isnt there some cheat where u can get unlimeted health for the battle or something =-/

Gonna Overdrive your ass! Siegfried's Avatar

OK guys, the anger is not worth the time...
    Just change to chemist...dont worry aobut "oh his chemist is only 2" or whatever crap...you SHOULD have at least one gun, just equip the gun, get Move +1 with Germinas boots and equip heavy armor...
    spend a couple battles figuring what your speed, dmg taking ability and how many hits you can take

Then just Run...shoot...run...shoot...run...shoot...run...shoot
    really not that hard to get around (Sub anything you thing would help)

Edit: uuuhhh this thread is a little old...didnt notice that
    Beware of my look a like!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Siegfried View Post
    Edit: uuuhhh this thread is a little old...didnt notice that
    No harm done.

Just remember guys: If the thread hasn't been posted in for a couple of years, it's usually a good idea to make a new one with the same topic.