Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So whats wrong with FF2?

Default So whats wrong with FF2?

I was playing the dawn of souls version on vacation and now Im at Pandaemonium. Its a fun game, why all the bitching?

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

To me that is, the leveling up system is as annoying as the sphere grid system in FFX.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknowns
    To me that is, the leveling up system is as annoying as the sphere grid system in FFX.

I kinda liked the sphere grid system. I didn't care for the system in FFII, but I thought it was an overall good game. I enjoyed playing it. I'm now playing Soul of Rebirth on DoS, which is pretty cool.

I like the game dont get me wrong but the level up system is not good.Just make eveyone a fighter and your set just give Maria most of the spells.

"wow i gained a sword level,ah i gained a fire level"I dont care

The sphere grid is alright but its hard to keep up with it..im not even done with the characters little area,and im at the calm lands trying to level them up past their area.
    you were killed by: a shoe

YOU:These are my Immortal words "I am Cao Pi"
    A Shoe:WTF!?!

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Heh, sure, if you want to gimp Maria to death you can do that.

I think what people really dislike about the game is that it punishes you for trying to make your characters demigods. Take FFVII, the "most popular" game in the series. If you want to, you can give your characters every last spell, summon and command in the game, and you won't be horribly penalized for it. Sure, you'll get some minor stat penalties, but you can just max your stats using sources and materia anyway so it doesn't matter. If you spend long enough at it, all of your characters can be tough enough to take out Sephiroth alone.

In FFII, things don't work that way. If you want to be a good black mage, you have to forfeit white magic, vitality and attack. Not so much because raising those lowers your intelligence (and in DoS it definitely won't...) but because to level yourself as a melee fighter, you have to neglect levelling magic, which can be a pain in and of itself. Other than that, believe it or not, you will actually be penalized for equippming weapons and armor. All weapons and armor lower agility, intelligence and soul. Basically it boils down to having to be very selective about what you do and don't level.

I think this is what frustrates people about this game so much. You can't just breeze right through it and equip the best weapons, armor and spells on everyone. You actually have to sit down and think about what you're doing or you'll cripple yourself.

That and the hero isn't some whiney emo boy with a gigantic sword who wants to talk about his feels for 5 hours of cinema sequences.

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

it wasnt my favourite leveling system but i dont hate any of the levelling systems on FF.i liked FF2 because of the cool story and all of the hell and stuff like that it may not have the most complex storyline but i like the mystery behind the dark knight because in the dreadnought when the dark knight talks she says she regognizes the voice"hint hint"so its a cool story but the systems on it get annoying.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Quote Originally Posted by boys from the dwarf
    it wasnt my favourite leveling system but i dont hate any of the levelling systems on FF.i liked FF2 because of the cool story and all of the hell and stuff like that it may not have the most complex storyline but i like the mystery behind the dark knight because in the dreadnought when the dark knight talks she says she regognizes the voice"hint hint"so its a cool story but the systems on it get annoying.
    In the DoS version it sucks because the dark night shows leons face just darkened slightly when he speaks (the characters face appears in the text box) so you can tell who he is as soon as the dark night shows up in Bafsk.
    That and the hero isn't some whiney emo boy with a gigantic sword who wants to talk about his feels for 5 hours of cinema sequences.
    I laugh because its true xD

Okay. FFII, was not bad at all. The whole system was fine. In fact, I really liked it. You didn't have to worry about "oh, how much more EXP till level up?" It's just different then most of em'. Either enjoy it, or don't play it at all. kthnxs.

Does you want a banner? IM me d00d. lolz!!

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

The complaints? In NES version, I thought the game was horribly slow. Walking around in dungeons is slow (feels a lot slower than in FF1 and FF3j for some reason even though even those games don't have Dash), and fighting is very slow, especially when casting spells on multiple targets, like your party or all enemies. I almost fell asleep during one dungeon, and after that, I used the emulator's fast forward option to turn off frame limits while walking in dungeons or in battles, after giving commands.

I didn't have a problem with how weapons or general stats level up or down. The problem with NES, WSC and PSX versions is how slowly magic spells level up. You need to cast a spell 50 times for them to gain a level, there's 16 levels and you need to cast those spells during every battle to have even some chance of raising them. I think the best spell I was able to get on NES version was Cure10, the rest were on levels 1-5 or so.

DJzen, have you played the DoS version? I've tried it for about 15 minutes, and things seem to level up faster there. Do you think the changes in the battle system make the gameplay smoother, or is it just as enjoyable as FF2 NES/WSC/PSX, or do you think it totally waters down the system and ruins it?
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Δ As above, so below ∇ crashNUMBERS's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love every single leveling system in the FF universe. Really why say a game sucks just 'cause of one thing?? FF2 is great!! Destai, Your oppinion is your oppinion. I really don't see what there is to complain about...

Quote Originally Posted by crash26821
    I love every single leveling system in the FF universe. Really why say a game sucks just 'cause of one thing?? FF2 is great!! Destai, Your oppinion is your oppinion. I really don't see what there is to complain about...
    You didnt read my post at the start of the thread, did you?

Personally, FF2's character development system was simply the worst I've ever seen. The Sphere Grid was a completely different thing, you knew you HAD to use it to move on (of course, those who did that No Sphere Grid Challenge don't apply...). But FF2 gives you too much freedom, and I truly don't like it in a RPG. It's hard to know if you're ready to move on or not when you start very weak and simply HAS to train for your own survival...Otherwise, you'll die (that happened a lot in my first game)...

To make it short: I found it to be very disturbing.

FF II is cool. It's just the leveling up system ruined it

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Δ As above, so below ∇ crashNUMBERS's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Destai
    Quote Originally Posted by crash26821
    You didnt read my post at the start of the thread, did you?
    I did. Im saying I dont see what there is for people to complain about. Not you to complain...

HEIDEGGER SI MY BISHI!!!1 DJZen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Dragon Knight
    Personally, FF2's character development system was simply the worst I've ever seen. The Sphere Grid was a completely different thing, you knew you HAD to use it to move on (of course, those who did that No Sphere Grid Challenge don't apply...). But FF2 gives you too much freedom, and I truly don't like it in a RPG. It's hard to know if you're ready to move on or not when you start very weak and simply HAS to train for your own survival...Otherwise, you'll die (that happened a lot in my first game)...

To make it short: I found it to be very disturbing.
    It's one of the hazzards of the insufficient documentation Square provided with the games. They REALLY didn't explain the system behind the game well enough, so many people play with a "what the heck is going on?" mindset. I've been playing this game for quite a while and I can safely say that I know when to move on to the next area now. It's really just a matter of learning how the game works, and Square stopped providing good documentation of their games when FFVII came out.