Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New drug blocks HIV from entering cells

Default New drug blocks HIV from entering cells

i think it is apropiate for you to know.

link: http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-...507070204.html

what ya think?

Hmm. I heard about something similar almost eight months ago, although I don't think it was developed to the point where they could administer it in any widespread amount. In any case, it would need to go through testing, then get approved by the FDA and other similar organizations, and then they would need to be able to find a way to make it affordable and whatnot. Hopefully they can make this available en masse; it'd definitely take away one major cause of fear in today's world, not to mention prevent countless deaths.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

yeah, thats pretty much what i thought. i wonder if they'll actually make it affordable.

Yeah.

I'm fairly sure this won't prevent an infected individual from being able to infect others, although since the articles provide no detail on that it's entirely possible that I'm wrong.

In short, this is excellent news, but it's no excuse to go out having reckless unprotected sex either. If nothing else, it'll end up costing you loads of money.

Massive orgies? Eh? Eh?

.opt

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by radyk05
    yeah, thats pretty much what i thought. i wonder if they'll actually make it affordable.
    Considering the 100 pills/day, thousands of dollars per year treatment they have now, this can't be much worse.

Anyway, scientists have been working on this for ages. They're bound to get it right sooner or later.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Man
    Yeah.

I'm fairly sure this won't prevent an infected individual from being able to infect others, although since the articles provide no detail on that it's entirely possible that I'm wrong.

from my poitn of viw you are right

this is actually a great idea, really simple if you think about it
    hopefully it works and doesn't screw other crap up

Why didn't I think of that? Great piece of intelligent thinking.

Banned

no doubt it will get patented. and then they will charge huge amounts of money for it. how come only the rich can afford to get sick? and it will do no good for 99.99% of the people with aids.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Since it's taken years and millions of dollars in research, they kind of have to charge money for it to be able to keep on making it. They could give the first thousand or so treatments away for free, and then they'd go out of business. They could even give out more at-cost, but then they wouldn't have the money for continued research into it to be able to make more cost-effective AIDS treatments.

Banned

oh i see so allowing only the rich to survive and depriving the most needy of these drusg is a good thing i get it now. america is after all deprived of morals.

FFXIV Character

Striking Teek (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud No.9
    oh i see so allowing only the rich to survive and depriving the most needy of these drusg is a good thing i get it now. america is after all deprived of morals.
    Once again, your self-righteousness has solved nothing.

This is a life or death situation, Cloud. Please, for the love of humanity, move over and let this drug be produced as it should and ought to - before you use it as a tool, to be given based on "need" and personal injustice.

It is a life and death situation, and if people cannot have access to the drug, they will die. I don't see how Cloud is being self-righteous about this. To me it is nothing less than criminal negligence for a government to allow people to die when there's any possibility of keeping them alive. (Well, unless they're a braindead vegetable like Terri Schiavo, but that's another issue entirely)

FFXIV Character

Striking Teek (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Man
    It is a life and death situation, and if people cannot have access to the drug, they will die. I don't see how Cloud is being self-righteous about this. To me it is nothing less than criminal negligence for a government to allow people to die when there's any possibility of keeping them alive. (Well, unless they're a braindead vegetable like Terri Schiavo, but that's another issue entirely)
    Tell me how you propose to give a drug away for free and continue production. And then tell me how many scientists are willing to continue, under such a creed.

Banned

let this drug to be produced but do not insist by high prices that life is purely acheivable by the rich. those who need this most are poor.

and yes charge for it. but do not charge to make profit. to line some ceo's pocket and buy him a new swimming pool. the cost should cover production and new research. you cannot turn aids into a profit machine. the suffering of millions into a new private jet. death into a stock price.

*sorry if this double posts*

the scientists willing to research and develop a drug for the good of mankind are the moral and good ones. the scientists developing a drug to fill their wallets are just profiteers in misery.

Edit by Kishi: If you're not a newbie, you should know how to use the Edit button.