Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to be "good" at RPGs?

Default Is it possible to be "good" at RPGs?

What consitutes a "good" RPG player? Obviously other genres have easy parameters to create a ranking system (Halo, Metal Gear, etc.), but RPGs don't really. Anyone can level, anyone can beat it fast, I dunno. I've played a bunch of RPGs, but I'm still confused about whether I have "skill" at playing RPGs. Any thoughts?

Im stumped.This is why I like hack and slash games with kill recorders, its easy notice skill.
    It looks like the ground had a sex change.

Well, I'm definately good at RPGs, so I suppose so.

I tihnk it is. Certain people are good at certain genres of games.
    Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky me again! I hardly knew I should use me feet again!

What do you have to say for yourself?

You have to have patience, plus be able to read. Then your good.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

LOL
    It looks like the ground had a sex change.

If you beat Final Fantasy VI with a party of level 7 guys then you're good at RPGs, man!

Blog Entries

I think I'm fairly good at playing RPGs. Although I do get a bit frustated sometimes.

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

I assume we're talking turn-based, where there is a fair drop in manual skill required, but I definitely think you can be good at them. I guess you just learn to know how systems work, tactics and the such. Think about how much of a challenge your first RPG was compared to later ones.

Its like maths I guess. Learning how to draw the little symbols is the only really physically 'skillful' task, but thats not where the difficulty lies.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous
    If you beat Final Fantasy VI with a party of level 7 guys then you're good at RPGs, man!
    I did it with an average party level of 8.5, does that mean I'm bad? You just need luck, tactics, and AI abuse.

Every played an MMORPG? That'll answer your questions real fast.

From what I can tell it depends on the game. In FFXI, it's how much of a life you lack/organization mixed with a bit of strategy in higher levels. In unbalanced RPGs it could be strategy (in Runescape a prayer beast does a billion times better than any other character and levels much much faster).

If you can pass an RPG with a low level party I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeZipster
    Every played an MMORPG? That'll answer your questions real fast.

From what I can tell it depends on the game. In FFXI, it's how much of a life you lack/organization mixed with a bit of strategy in higher levels. In unbalanced RPGs it could be strategy (in Runescape a prayer beast does a billion times better than any other character and levels much much faster).
    GW is like, skill in finding a good party, and then skill in actually playing it once you have one.

I'm not sure which part requires more skill, but I'm edging on the party side.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Being a good walkthrough reader.

A good RPG player varies, I'm considered good among my friends because I beat bosses on my first try when it commonly took them 5-6 times or something. Pretty much knowing the battle system, knowing when to do what, planning attacks in advance and stuff...

Now for a game like Fire Emblem, it's easy to see who is better, there is character choice, combat choices, where to set up defensive lines, or offensive fronts. However, no matter how good you are, this game seems to screw you over occasionally. Like this one time I fought an enemy, which really pissed me off. It was in a colloseum, cause I needed money, now I have a 90% chance of hitting and killing this guy, and I can survive at least 2 of his attacks, however, he has a 1% chance of hitting me, and a 1% chance of doing a critical hit... I miss, he gets a critical hit, and I die.... think about that, that's a 1:100000 chance of him getting a critical hit, it's a 1 in a million chance of that exact event happenining, where I miss and he gets a critical hit... damn, i really hated that day...

THE JACKEL