Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the half blood prince (possible spoilers)

Finished it this morning. She has set up for one HELL of a finale.
    [leeza]Total sig height should not be over 250 pixels, including all text.[/leeza]

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Strife
    Finished it this morning. She has set up for one HELL of a finale.
    Same here, and yeah, I agree. That was an awesome book, but I feel so sad now about what happened... though, it was bound to happen.

Blog Entries

OMG HARY POTER NERDZ REEDIN ALL NITE ND ALL DAI COS TEHY AVE NO LIEF OMG LOLLLZ UR STWPID HARY POTER IZ TEH GAE

Chapter 6.

there was a picture here

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

I walked into the shop and got one i'm up to chapter 2

LET THE HAMMER FALL

I finished it Saturday morning sometime (pulled an all-nighter).

Open Spoilers, obviously.

I've really, really lost a lot of respect for Dumbledore. I mean, he's not perfect (obviously), but throughout the first 5 books, you were expecting that there was some story about Snape that we didn't know about that would make Dumbledore trust him. But there wasn't. Dumbledore never HAD a reason to trust him. Ever. I'm sorry that he's dead, even though I knew it had to happen, but what an idiot.

I figured out who the Half-Blood Prince before they revealed it, but I was confused for most of the book. I always assumed that Snape was a pure-blood, what with being in Slytherin and all. But I suppose if Tom Riddle could be in Slytherin....

R.A.B. is obviously Regulus A. Black. I hope that everybody realized that.

The last book is going to be MASSIVE. Harry claims that he's not going back to school, but they still have to destroy 4 Horcruxes (that is, if Regulus didn't already dispose of the locket), and then have the final showdown.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

KB is a super Harry fan, I didn't even know R.A.B = a Black. xD

I was a little peeved at Dumbledore about that, but all people make mistakes. :/

I can't wait for the next book, it's gonna be great. And big, hopefully. 800+ pages would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito
    I've really, really lost a lot of respect for Dumbledore. I mean, he's not perfect (obviously), but throughout the first 5 books, you were expecting that there was some story about Snape that we didn't know about that would make Dumbledore trust him. But there wasn't. Dumbledore never HAD a reason to trust him. Ever. I'm sorry that he's dead, even though I knew it had to happen, but what an idiot.
    Read the part where Dumbledore dies again, very carefully. I could quite easily be totally wrong, but I think there was a bit more going on there then was let on. I half think Dumbledore expected what happened to happen, or even planned it. Conspiracy theories ahoy.

I figured out who the Half-Blood Prince before they revealed it, but I was confused for most of the book. I always assumed that Snape was a pure-blood, what with being in Slytherin and all. But I suppose if Tom Riddle could be in Slytherin....
    Riddle was a descendant of Slytherin though, so that's probably why he was let in. As for Snape, it's always been said all the pure blood families are inter-related, so he could be a very distant descendant of Slytherin too. And neither of them were particularly friendly, which seems to be a Slytherin trait.

It's always a bad sign when you read a children's book then go on the internet and post obscure ideas about the plot.
    [leeza]Total sig height should not be over 250 pixels, including all text.[/leeza]

Quote Originally Posted by Rye
    KB is a super Harry fan, I didn't even know R.A.B = a Black. xD

I was a little peeved at Dumbledore about that, but all people make mistakes. :/

I can't wait for the next book, it's gonna be great. And big, hopefully. 800+ pages would be nice.

They mentioned Regulus in OotP during the scene at Grimmauld Place with the family tree. Regulus was Sirius's brother, and was a Death Eater before backing out and getting killed....or did he? That theory goes along with the whole Regulus Black = Stubby Boardman thing, based off of the Quibbler article where they claimed that Sirius = Stubby.

Read the part where Dumbledore dies again, very carefully. I could quite easily be totally wrong, but I think there was a bit more going on there then was let on. I half think Dumbledore expected what happened to happen, or even planned it. Conspiracy theories ahoy.
    Actually, one of the first thing that I noticed while reading that scene was this:

Quote Originally Posted by Page 595, American edition
    But somebody else had spoken Snape's name, quite softly.

"Severus . . ."

The sound frightened Harry beyond anything he had experienced all evening. For the first time, Dumbledore was pleading.
    That passage alone does lead the reader to lead that Dumbledore had his suspicions all along, and they were confirmed as soon as Snape arrived. But I don't really see what you're getting on as to if Dumbledore expected that.

I'm not sure if it's brilliance or stupidity that JKR put Chapter 2 in. I assumed that she wouldn't be so stupid as to reveal Snape's true allegiance in the secound chapter, so I assumed that this was just to throw us off.
    Last edited by Kirobaito; 07-17-2005 at 07:10 PM.

I am a jerk I liked when dumbledore died i hope Harry goes back to school so mcgonagall and flitwick can die in book 7 also. I'm glas lupin was in it and didn't die i told those mothersmurfers that he wouldn't die and dumbledore would

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I read the book last nigh, pulled an all nighter. if my mom finds out im gonna be grounded, she told me I had to finish it today. It was a little to short for me, it left me wanting to know more,

I agree about Dumbledore's knowing with Snape. I think that maybe he did set it all up. I mean, he knew about Malfoy's plans all along, and yet he let them continue. I think maybe he lat Snape stay so he could... damn lost my train of though. I had the whole theory worked out last night.

Regulus A. Black, of course. But why would he want the horcrux? Maybe he not dead after all. No that couldnt be because then Kreacher wouldnt have obeyed him, but then again, everything of Siruis's was left to Harry. hmmmmm

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

Lupin is just great

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Actually, reading it a few more times, I'm starting to see what you mean.

Dumbledore stated, "Severus . . .please . . ."

We all assume this to be Dumbledore pleading for his life, which is how Harry's limited, biased narration perceives it. What if it means, "Severus . .. please <i>kill me</i>"?

Dumbledore realized that Malfoy did not mean to commit murder. He was not going to. Dumbledore did not want the Death Eaters to force him to, and place that on his conscience. Here are the points I mean to make:

1) Snape had an Unbreakable Vow with Narcissa Malfoy to to the following:

- Watch over Draco, as he attempts to fulfill the Dark Lord's wishes.
    - Protect him from harm
    - <b>Carry out the deed that the Dark Lord ordered Draco to perform</b>

I have begun to believe that Dumbledore told Snape to do anything to convince the Death Eaters of his allegiance, which includes making The Unbreakable Vow. The latter two points of the Vow is what makes me believe that Snape <i>had no choice</i> - Malfoy had failed in his task by putting his wand down, and was now in harm's way (the wrath of Voldemort to those who fail him). Because of this Vow, that Dumbledore may have told him to make, he had to kill him. And I'd like to think that Dumbledore would prefer to be killed by Snape, and not by a 17-year-old boy, or another random Death Eater, or an insane werewolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Page 595, American edition
    Snape gazed for a moment at Dumbledore, and there was revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face.
    Snape had hatred for himself, and what he knew that he was forced to do. Not for Dumbledore, who he trusted beyond all others. He hated himself, and what he had become, and the task that he was committed to do.

2) The scene in the Cave allows the readers to realize something. Harry cannot defeat Voldemort without Dumbledore. He would have continued to treat Dumbledore as a crutch. Well, the Prophecy stated that Harry must be the one to kill Voldemort. He could no longer do it with Dumbledore's help. Dumbledore realized that, in order for Harry to become the Chosen One that he is, he had to die.

More to come later, if I think of it.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Got it this afternoon, finished it this evening. I rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito
    The theme of "Dumbledore always sees the best in people" has been repeated throughout the books, especially HBP. To be honest, I thought Snape was on the side of good too, until Draco revealed his mission. And maybe he still is, for all we know.

Anyway, in relation to the issues discussed above, upon Dumbledore destroying Morfin's ring, he said that he would have surely died were it not for the aid of Snape. I think that says it all: Snape could have killed him them when he had the chance. He was weak and at his mercy, and he could easily have finished him then, although whether or not he made the Unbreakable Vow before or after this incident is unclear.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

HBP mentions over and over that Dumbledore is getting old and has always been infallable.

"But when I do make a mistake, they are obviously on a larger magnitude"

or wahtever it is that he tells harry.

I don't think Dumbledore thought that Snape would kill him.

JKR throws in snape's explanation of his duty at Hogwarts to make people want to side with Bellatrix. She makes you WANT to believe that Snape is lying through his teeth to her. When she first mentioed horcruxes and what they might be for, I was thinkign 'maybe snape could hide his soul in one, allowing it to seem purely evil when talking with Voldemort" and I still wish that could've been how it was, but it was not.

She did that very well though. I was expecting us to have a break from a major death, and we didn't. DarnxD I guess hagrid gets to die in the next one

I still like my explanation, though.