Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the half blood prince (possible spoilers)

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

I got it today, my friend lent it to me. She read it in one day!? =O
    Im only up to page 11 so far =3
    But! she couldnt hold it in and told me clues as of what happened the silly moo

Quote Originally Posted by MoonZapdos
    Why is there such a fuss because of this book? -_-
    Because it rocks arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirobaito
    Actually, reading it a few more times, I'm starting to see what you mean.

Dumbledore stated, "Severus . . .please . . ."

We all assume this to be Dumbledore pleading for his life, which is how Harry's limited, biased narration perceives it. What if it means, "Severus . .. please kill me"?
    That's exactly what I thought. Your other points hadn't really occured to me, but I also got the feeling Dumbledore was pleading with Snape to kill him. I thought it might have something to do with the potion/poison he drank, it may have had no cure or something like that and Snape knew what he was up to. It struck me as odd he was so adamant he see Snape and not Pomfrey. This could be explained by Snape having a better knowlege of potions, but I'm not so sure.

I am really looking forward to seeing how this is all explained in the next book. And I want to know exactly what happened to Dumbledore's hand...
    [leeza]Total sig height should not be over 250 pixels, including all text.[/leeza]

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Wasn't his hand damaged in destroying a horcrux?

I hope one horcrux is a ring that can only be destroyed by being thrown into a volcano.

I liked the book. I was really proud when I managed to finish it by the next day ^^

Many of those theories never struck me. But then, I didn't think much about the parts. I'm waiting for the rest of the family to finish before I actually try coming up with anything. All the theories here seem pretty good though, and make plenty of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pure Strife
    That's exactly what I thought. Your other points hadn't really occured to me, but I also got the feeling Dumbledore was pleading with Snape to kill him. I thought it might have something to do with the potion/poison he drank, it may have had no cure or something like that and Snape knew what he was up to. It struck me as odd he was so adamant he see Snape and not Pomfrey. This could be explained by Snape having a better knowlege of potions, but I'm not so sure.
    Well, that really goes along with your point of Dumbledore and Snape planning the entire thing. I think that Dumbledore realized that he was going to soon die, and he might as well affirm Snape's loyalty to Voldemort in the process.

I mean, both Snape and Dumbledore understood that, as soon as Snape made the Unbreakable Vow, one of them was going to be dead by the end of the year. Dumbledore made the decision that it was best for the world if he were the one to go, not Snape. Snape had too important of a role, of course, now he's pretty much a lone wolf. I wouldn't be surprised to see him assist Harry in the location of the Horcruxes, anonymously.

Gamecrafter Recognized Member Behold the Void's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Kazane Shiba (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I finally finished it. I'm slowing down, it took me 7-8 hours of reading, plus having to sleep in the middle of that stretched it out even further.

Anyways, I am in agreement with KB. Harry could not proceed and realize his destiny with Dumbledore as his constant crutch, and Dumbledore would have KNOWN that. That, plus the unbreakable vow which Dumbledore probably also knew about, put him in an interesting situation. Remember Dumbledore's believing in love? Lily sacrificed her life so that Harry could live, and now, Dumbledore sacrificed his life so that Harry could achieve what it is he had to do, to fulfill his "destiny", so to speak.

Really, if I had to guess I'd say that Rowlings pairing up Nymphadora and Lupin is a final jab against the Sirius/Lupin yaoi writers that began when she offed Sirius

And I rather liked Harry and Ginny together, I imagine they will get back together at the end of the final book if they both survive. I have a feeling Ginny will wait for him.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Are you suggesting that Snape would have an active knowledge of where they were located? Because I don't think Voldemort would trust ANYone that much.

Signature by rubah. I think.

RAB managed to find out, didn't he?

so its out...........i watched em delivering the books to stores on the news. its crazy they were guarding the books with their lives.

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

I don't think at any point in the book did I suspect Snape for more than a minute. Don't get me wrong, I was surprised by a lot of things, but EVERYTHING was pointing at him being evil apart from Dumbledore. The only point where I actually wavered on this was when he was still acting like the same towards Harry after the last Death Eater had left, why does noone at all seem to be in on anything? It seems very chapter 2ish to me now, as if JK is making people assume there'll be a twist and Snape will be good, just to make him bad. It does leave Dumbledore looking WAY too fooled for that mind.

The other reason I had faith in Snape was because it seemed odd to have all the people who seem bad on the surface actually BE bad deep down, not sure its a great message to send out to kids. Though now of course Malfoy may take up that role. VERY interested in that, I genuinely wanted him to turn to the Order's side on the tower, that woman can write!

Harry breaking up with Ginny actually bothered me all the way through the end as soon as he hinted at it. Dumbledore I'd suspected of returning, or having a reason, or there being some happy twist in book seven. But Harry losing his first normal comfort, and happiness since what the end of book two? I really hope they get back together.

Is anyone else a little suspiscious of the whole 'Kill Voldermort' thing? Its been stated so blatently for a while that this is the aim, but Harry didn't even use Sectumsempra against the Death Eaters, and Dumbledore has stated clearly that he doesn't HAVE to kill him. It just seems a little... Dark for it to be how Harry wins the day.

Kirobaito... HOLY CRAP. Did you memorise OotP or something? Thats some damned impressive memory work.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

I as well have been kind of bothered by how determined Harry has become to kill Voldemort... and how keen Dumbledore seemed to be on it, too. I never thought Dumbledore would appreciate anyone dying - remember, he did spare Voldemort in the Atrium battle, although that might as well have been because he still had his Horcruxes and destroying his body would simply allow him to come back again, like twice before. Actually, in an interview before the book was released Rowling told the fans that they should be pondering this fact - that Dumbledore didn't kill Voldemort - if they wanted proper grounds to speculate in the plot of book six, and I think she was alluding to the Horcruxes.

Nevertheless, Dumbledore has always seemed quite averse to killing, and brash though Harry may be he's never appeared posed to actually kill anyone... remember how he panicked when he saw what the Sectumsempra spell did to Malfoy? And there's the matter of how everyone, even (or especially) Slughorn, seems to be treating murder as the ultimate crime, the most dark deed... yeah, I definitely wonder how Rowling is planning to pull this off.
    Signatures are for wimps?

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixAsh
    Kirobaito... HOLY CRAP. Did you memorise OotP or something? Thats some damned impressive memory work.
    I re-read it before the release of HBP, and after I saw "RAB" at the end of HBP, I immediately went back to "The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black" to re-read the items that Harry found, hoping that the locket would be amongst them. Sure enough, it was.

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

VERY impressive.

So thats one down, plus Nagini, which shouldn't be too hard to at least find. I've read a theory about the fourth Horcrux saying that (not really a spoiler as its a theory but...) (SPOILER)Harry is the final Horcrux, belonging to Gryffindor (as an Heir), and made after the death of Lily. Also this adds to the prophesy Not sure I believe that idea, but it is quite plausable that the unidentified Horcrux could be this significant. This leaves Hufflepuff's cup as being possibly the hardest to destroy. Espescially if its guarded like the locket. Unless RAB got there first. Although I would expect it to be the first one to be destroyed.

Any thoughts on how Neville is going to fit into all of this? He wasn't in this book much, but I would be surprised if he isn't a major factor in the seventh book. Man I can't imagine this series ending, there are so many characters that are going to end with it...

Harry at the end I thought was phenomenal by the way. He really did become the hero in this book. What Dumbledore told him about his reaction to the Mirror of Erised was particularly good I thought. As was managing to break up with Ginny after all that had happened, and deciding not to return to Hogwarts. Harry has lost every parent figure he's ever had apart from Mr and Mrs Weasley, and he came out fighting.

Okay so I just finished the book like an hour ago, I keep wanting to talk about stuff.

Has anyone noted all the hints about Harry's feelings for Ginny prior to the kiss with Dean? I spotted a couple early on, but then another one was pointed out about Harry smelling something flowery from the Burrow in Slughorns love potion , so I'm guessing I missed more. I thought that was done very well.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

Great book. between 5.5-6 hours of reading. i was totally blown away and now I find myself even more blown away with KB. Have I ever told you I totally love you KB?

This just reaffirmed my feelings for wishing parts of HP were real. I just wish Lavender Brown would knock on my front door. LB: "Hi." ME: "I heard you and Ron broke up. I was thinking maybe this would make you feel better." *snogs*

Ahhh, we'd be inseperable.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The whole Ginny/Harry split up at the end reminded me too much of Spiderman and Mary Jane. Those two will end up together, I know they will. And they'll get married and Harry will become a part of the Weasley family and EVERYTHING WILL BE PERFECT.