Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the half blood prince (possible spoilers)

I dont think that Harry is a Horcrux but in the first or second book there is a conversation between harry and Dumbledore where Dumbledore says something like: "By trying to kill you he may have actually put a little bit of himself into you" and that is why he has some of Voldemorts abilites like being a parselmouth. Maybe that little piece of Voldemort was a bit of his soul.

I have one matching sock PhoenixAsh's Avatar

I actually hope the next book takes quite a long time, I want it LONG. This book seemed a lot shorter than it could have been, it would have been nice to see more interaction with Ginny, Neville and Luna, plus a lot more class time. I know it might have been a bit dull for some people, but maybe writing an extended version with less plot relevant stuff would have been an idea.

I say what I think. If you disagree, then that is up to you.

Yeah, I was kinda dissapointed with how we only got two measly Defense Against the Dark Arts class scenes, considering the once-in-a-lifetime plot twist that surrounded it.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    I dont think that Harry is a Horcrux but in the first or second book there is a conversation between harry and Dumbledore where Dumbledore says something like: "By trying to kill you he may have actually put a little bit of himself into you" and that is why he has some of Voldemorts abilites like being a parselmouth. Maybe that little piece of Voldemort was a bit of his soul.
    Yup, that's one of the passages I want to re-read, examine Dumbledore's wording.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Custom user title?Where? Shadow_Wolf 6354's Avatar

i would like to make a toast to the greatest wizard in all the wizarding world, dumbledore. *raises glass* the books wont be the same without him *drinks*
    rab could be reg
    the part where dumbledore.......you know....i actually cried cos that is two of my fave charactors gone:sirius and him

you wont remember this encounter
    :shoot:

Nanaki:Eternal protector of the sheep and monkies.:shoot:

Quote Originally Posted by Super Christ
    I've heard the theory that Dumbledore's simply gone into hiding, based on what he said just before to Malfoy when he was talking about hiding him and his mother, specifically "He cannot kill you if you are already dead."
    Actually, this theory is impossible. Harry himself notes that he knew Dumbledore died after he was released from the effects of the Headmaster's final spell.

Quote Originally Posted by page 608, American edition
    [...]He had known there was no hope from the moment that the full Body-Bind Curse Dumbledore had placed upon him lifted, known that it could have happened only because its caster was dead...
    While Dumbledore probably could have escaped and removed the spell effect, there's no getting around the fact that Snape was sealed by an Unbreakable Vow. Had Snape not killed Dumbledore, and then led the Death Eaters away under the assumption that the Headmaster was dead, then Snape himself would have died.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'm seriously planning to get this one..... it just sounds really good.

Just finished it tonight.

Man, the ending was so sad. Dumbledore was my favorite character. Just getting to one of his scenes always re-assured me that what he would say would always mean somthing. But now, that re-assurance is gone. Dumbledore is no more. I cried upon reading this. Soooooooo sad. :weep:

I've heard a lot of interesting theories on this Snape fiasco, none of which i had the common sense to realize upon completion, and each one seems to sway my train of thinking.

I definetly see where KB is coming from. It would make perfect sense. But then again, masamune has bakced up points to prove otherwise. I'm truely torn over the matter. Guess I'll just stop debating it and wait for #7, as long as that may be. Besides, i dont want to alreaady know whats going to happen. That would ruin it for me.

I definetly think REB is Black. That, or an undiscoverd character. It would make sense to me.

And for Harry being a Horcrux, i see the possibility, but it seems to defy what has already been stated.

Firstly, the prophecy stated "Neither can live while the other survives", stating one of em has to die.

So, how is it possible that Harry would be a Horcrux? If he indeed has to destroy the remaining ones before facing Voldemort, than wouldnt that be in essence killing himself? And if that happened, how is he to face Voldemort?

I love how J.K. seems to have had this all thought up even before the first book came out. She knows what shes doing. Shes not going book by book. This is most evident of course with all these little hints and sid-bits Dumbledore has been dropping Harry over the course of the series. I just hope the book will contain any and all un-answered questions.

Now after reading 6, I am so excited for 7, i cant wait. I've been a fan for so long, and to see it all coming to an end will truely be a sad thing. But sadness comes with greatness, and i hope the next one truely is one to go down in the history books.

~Keep it gooey~

I just finished it ten minutes ago. It was probably the highlight of my summer (and this hasnt been a bad summer or anything) and I wished Id let it last a little longer than a week. I dont understand why Dumbledore was so persistent to see Snape once Harry and him returned to the castle. He just kept repeating get Snape to Harry. Theres definitely something going on. I cant wait for the next book and I hope it will be the longest book of the lot.

hermoine dies at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!! muh ha ha ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by nightmare666
    hermoine dies at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!! muh ha ha ha ha ha
    that would be a true dream come true

I had a feeling that it might have been Hermione because when it described the aftermath of the battle I didn't see her name (I might have missed it).

I personally didn't like Dumbledore, and don't anybody try and make me like him, I get enough of that already.

Snape is one of my favourite characters, and I think that he is still good

Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missing
    Thankies to Leene for the sig!

Blog Entries

Finished it yesterday. I have a few speculations, most of them already said.

Snape is obviously a good guy. Dumbledore asking for nobody but Snape, when it would have been much easier for Pomfrey or somebody else, sounds way too fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by Page 545, UK version
    'Go and wake Severus,' said Dumbledore faintly but clearly. 'Tell him what has happened and bring him to me. Do nothing else, speak to nobody else and do not remove your cloak. I shall wait here.'
    This shows that there must have been something Snape knows, or had been told by Dumbledore, to do. And the "Severus .. please" bit shows that Snape must have been in some sort of deal with Dumbledore and Snape had to kill him.

Another thing I wondered is why Dumbledore left Harry there to watch him die when he could have easily signalled Harry to run under the cloak. Of course, Harry had to see it because the story is told from Harry's point of view, but Harry could have crept back in under the cloak or something. It again points to Snape being a goodie.

Is Harry a horcrux? Quite possibly. There is lots of evidence for and against this. As was said before, Dumbledore once said to Harry that Voldemort may have imprinted some of himself into Harry. Also, in OotP, Harry keeps seing into Voldemort's mind, and more importantly, into the snake that attacked Mr. Weasley. If I am not mistaken, the snake was Nagini, who is noted as a horcrux in HBP. Work out what you will from there.
    This means that if Harry is a Horcrux, he will in the end have to die to rid the world of Voldemort completely. This will play to the 'Harry can love' part completely, as he dies to save everyone else, something Voldemort cannot get his head round.

I reckon Harry will go back to Advanced Potion Making in the next book, as he had hid it in a place where he could find it, then when he does, he will read through the notes, at first thinking "Agh, what a bastard", then slowly seeing that Snape was really a good guy, and I have a feeling that there will be some all-powerful spell or potion in there which will work against Voldemort.

Now we move on to my mindless speculation which is not backed up.

First off, Mundungus Fletcher. What is his role? He is seen briefly in HBP in a pub having stolen some of Black's belongings. Could he have stolen the locket previously mentioned by KB as well as the other stuff? Also, that scene in the pub seemed to be there for no reason at all, and I thought that there must be something here that would be explained in the next book. I expect Fletcher to have a larger role in book 7.

The potion Dumbledore drunk. What was it? The thought came to me that the potion actually was the Horcrux. On closer reading of the part when Dumbledore drinks it, it seems that Dumbledore is seeing or feeling part of somebody's mind, which may be Voldemort, or one of his victims when he was at the orphanage. Perhaps Dumbledore knew this beforehand, and knew that once he had drunk the Horcrux, he needed Snape to kill him, as he was the only person mad enough to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by page 534, UK edition
    (Dumbledore)'...don't like ... want to stop ...' ...'I don't want to ... let me go ...'
    Then of course this doesn't explain the locket that R.A.B left, as he would have had to drink it too and therefore bugger it up.

After reading this book, I see that it outlines bits of the Bible. Dumbledore is the God figure, while Voldemort is Satan. Snape is Judas. Harry thinks that 'God' (Dumbledore) is gone, whereas Jesus thinks that God has given up on him just before he dies. Judas (Snape) betrays Harry, but then feels remorse for his actions. But if I'm not mistaken, Judas kills himself. Of course a lot of this theory is counting on the last book.

there was a picture here

You bring up some very good points there Manus.

I definetly see where you get the idea of the potion being the Horcrux, but yes, it does seem to contradict the note left by R.E.B.

The only thing about Harry being a horcrux is, wouldnt he have to kill himslef before he killed Voldemort? Dumbledore said Harry must destroy all the horcruxes beofre he kills Voldy, so in essence, he must kill himself first.

But then, how would he finish off Voldemort?

I guess we'll just have to wait & see.

~Keep it gooey~

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I stand by my theory that Harry can't be the final Horcrux because of the prophecy. One cannot live while the other survives. So one of them has to live and one to die, at the final battle.

Signature by rubah. I think.