Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing tips

Default Drawing tips

I'm tired of drawing from sprite sheets, does anybody have any good drawing tips (manga style)? Anything good would be apreciated.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

well when doing chibi always do characters with bangs sephiroth is good for begginer now manga that's like Naruto style what you do is pretty much make a basic outline of the pic using squares,circles,trianles etc. then add detail. I suck at art so don't try my advice and expect it to work

http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/tutorial.html

this is kinda what taught me. I used it as a guide to shape my skills, but then added my style to it. Just practice the basics and then add your own individuality on top of it. Thats the best advice I can give you.

*note*- the how to draw women section contains some slightly not for kid tutorials.
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Been there done that. I am just below average, and I need to get really really good by August 18 (when school starts) so I can 1-up the better artists.
    whos' obama?

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I think the best way to learn that style is just read lot of manga..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

polykarbon.com has some interesting tutorials.

I think the best way to get good at drawing is to look at lots of different manga tutorials and develope your own style with what you know, a bit of reality and a bit of japanese manga styling. I've been drawing manga for years and I'm not too bad, but I've combined about 3 different styles from tutorials I've found and manga artists I admire. There's no such thing as a quick fix, and you just need to take your time to become perfect.
    Normally I don't advertise or spam for stuff, but i've decided to set my cause to help a needy forum! so come and join http://s13.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_...ex.php?act=idx

Here's what you can do! These things were what I did that got me to draw! Watch a LOT of anime and read loads of manga! Once you find one you particularly like, try copying some of the pictures! Do this until you have a hold of the picture and start modifyng it like changing the posts of the characters and their expressions!

I read loads of manga, I tend to stay away from anime for some reason, and I've been looking at drawing tutorials for about three hours now. Upsides: I can draw Cloud.
    whos' obama?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ezzarian
    Here's what you can do! These things were what I did that got me to draw! Watch a LOT of anime and read loads of manga! Once you find one you particularly like, try copying some of the pictures! Do this until you have a hold of the picture and start modifyng it like changing the posts of the characters and their expressions!
    That's not a bad idea, but the only thing wrong with that is that it causes your characters to be in the style of whoever created the characters you copied from. Now, if you like the style of the mangaka you're copying, then that's OK. I should know because when I first started out drawing, all my characters looked Toriyama-like, since I used to copy from DBZ pics a lot O_o

....And I'm not a big fan of that style, so I took my characters and re-drew them in a more believable style (i.e., more variation in hairstyle, eyes, body sizes, and the like). I kept honing these skills through constant drawing and re-drawing, and trying to not have the exact same style as other artists. Now my style is somewhat different from what might be expected.

....Wait, maybe copying from the artist whose style you like the least is a good idea! >_> At the very least, it might inspire you to try to make your style really creative. A good way to start on your unique style is to just outline the characters first, kinda like what kakashi said. Then add all the little details.

Also, I forget who or what said this, but drawing whole comics/manga compared to a single drawing is like exercising with a weight-training program compared to lifting a dumbbell every now and then.

The reason for this is that comics require different poses/expressions to be drawn in each panel, and good storytelling, so you're basically making yourself a better writer and a better drawer at the same time.

.....Damn, another long-winded post from me >_>
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

It's all right. I'll take your advice (credit to ezzarian) since I know you're a good artist.
    whos' obama?

Enjoy The Silence FallenSilence's Avatar

You could buy books that teach you how to do it, step by step. That's what I did. Then add your own style, which will develop as you keep drawing.
    Should've Done Something
    But I've Done It Enough
    By The Way Your Hands Were Shaking
    Rather Waste My Time With You

Should've Said Something
    But I've Said It Enough
    By The Way My Words Were Faded
    Rather Waste My Time With You

Hmm... there was a time when I really suck at drawing, but after watching a thousand animes and reading mangas and being in a drawing club, I've improved so much and became one of the best artists in the 1st year batch.

Well, first draw the outline of the shape, you know, circle (Please use light sketches!!). Draw a straight vertical line to the top of the light circle to the bottom. Then add two horizontal lines in the upper middle. There, you have created the guidelines of the face of your character.

Then, add eyebrows. It must be parallel to the top horizontal line. Then the eyes. The lower part of the eyes must be parallel to the lower horizontal. Done? Sweet.

Then draw the nose and it must be in the straight vertical line and the lower horizontal. Done? Next is draw the outline of the lips. Done? You have created the face.

Draw then the hair in every style you want. After it is finished, draw the outline of the face. You know, final shape? ^_^! Done? Erase the guidelines or the light sketches.

Tada! You have done the face!

For the body part, it is very easy. Just do the light sketches first and then the rest will do its part. As for the hands, well, it seems easy for me as it is not for other people, but practice makes perfect, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Doom
    You could buy books that teach you how to do it, step by step. That's what I did. Then add your own style, which will develop as you keep drawing.
    That was one of the first things I did. It turns out that American manga artists that have the guts to make a how-to-draw book are
    1) totally sucky and look more like a DC comic book.
    2) are sexist and focus way more on one gender than the other.
    3) only draw cutesy wutesy cat people. I hate cutesy wutesy cat people.
    whos' obama?

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hum. My best advice is to study "classical" drawing, i. e. anatomy and all the like. You'll be surprised with how much you will use that, even in manga style that apparently doesn't need it. And it'll help you develop your very own style.