Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pink tail problems

It's the same as getting one of the rare summons or a rare item.

I'm sure you fought way more that 64 groups of impish creatures and probably never got Imp, right?

Think about all of the time you spent trying to get the extra summons then think about how less frequent encounters with Pink Puffs are and you'll start to fathom the rareness of the Pink Tail.
    Sigless

I still don't get how I easily meet the puffs if the chance of fighting them=the chance of getting the tail.

But crap, you just made me thing about how many days I spent fighting skeletons looking for those Zeus gloves and never finding them. And now I think I'm going to cry.

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I want to try to get a pink tail by loading one of my saved states. Where is it precisely that you meet them? Screenshot anyone?

The room where you meet them is the same room where you get an Elixer from a chest on the right side. I believe the room itself is on the left, but the chest is on the right side of the room. Shortly after you go down the set of stairs you can see Ragnarok from.

Alright, let's see. 1/64 chance...that's .015625. So a 1.5625% chance you'll encounter Pink Puffs. That's when you do encounter an enemy in that room, there's a 1.6% chance it'll be Pink Puffs. Then, there's a 1.5625% chance that it'll drop a Pink Tail. So altogether, that's... A 00.0244140625% chance that a random battle will be with Pink Puffs that'll drop a Pink Tail. Roughly, one in every four thousand random battles in that room. I'm sure there are more equations on the probability of encountering a random battle per step you take, but I won't get into that.

Let's say you fight three batches of Pink Puffs a day. That's still less than a five percent chance of winning the Pink Tail. So to have a decent probability, you'd have to fight for at least two or three weeks, every day.

So there you have it. Fight four thousand and ninety-six battles in that room, and you have a good chance of getting it. Enjoy.

Oh oh oh!
    The legendary pink tail!!
    Great!
    Take this too.

hehe. Yep, I got it. And I was honestly going to give up for good if I hadn't gotten it by the time I finished the novel. I gave the armor to Edge, so I can actually put him in the front without him getting flattened by three attacks. Clock- 81:something. levels 72-78.

The lesson: never give up. Even when you realize that what you're doing is pointless and you're the biggest loser in the world.

Hooray!!!

Oh, and Sasquatch, your chances are better than that because each Pink Puff has a 1/64 chance of dropping a tail, and you fight Pink Puffs in groups of five.
    Sigless

Ah. Thought it was per battle, not per puff. Well that just screws up all my math. Damn you, you shouldn't have pointed that out.

Holy Dragoon Kain <3 Recognized Member KoShiatar's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, thank you. ^_^

I'm sure this is an easy answer, but what are alarms?
    I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by karatehero
    I'm sure this is an easy answer, but what are alarms?
    Alarms are items that you can get Edge to steal from the Alert monsters, but only in the FFIV (hardtype) version.
    Sigless

Banned

...and using them guarantees a battle with the rarest enemy in the current area.
    Pink Puffs are pretty rare.

Scatter, Senbonzakura... DocFrance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_18
    ...and using them guarantees a battle with the rarest enemy in the current area.
    Pink Puffs are pretty rare.
    So if by using alarms, you have a 100% chance of encountering Pink Puffs, that means that you have a five in sixty-four chance to get a Pink Tail. That's roughly a 7.81% each battle. Not exactly easy, but much less time-consuming than a .12% chance of finding Pink Puffs and getting a Pink Tail.
    ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY
    (1) Eric Clapton is God.
    (2) Therefore, God exists.

Sorry, what is the VI hardtype version? I have the original 2 for SNES and I have IV and ChronoTrigger for PS. Is that it?
    I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.

Banned

Why canīt you just use Load State after using one Alarm and keep Loading until you actually win the Tail?
    It seems rather easy to me.

Wait. When you meet one, is it a 1/64 chance you'll get a Pink Tail, or is there a 1/64 chance that the item they leave behind, if any, will be a Pink Tail? Because if that's the case, you'd also have to factor in the chances of them leaving something behind.