Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: UK TV > American TV

Default UK TV > American TV

I wondered quite alot when I read a metro like 2 months ago which had a Interview with Jerry Springer
    He, as everyone knows, after the success of the Jerry Springer Opera, came to UK to do his show it ( mildly good, dosent scratch Trisha )
    He said in his interview
    American TV is years Ahead of British TV
    Most of British TV, is British. But alot of American Shows come over to UK. I watch alot of TV, and say that British TV is the one that is Years ahead of American. We do everything better, plus, America Steal Television shows, have there own ( which sucks ) and then it comes to UK and makes us look bad.
    Take for instance Playing It Straight, Wife Swap, Who Wants to be a Millionare ( I think that went to America )
    We come up with much better shows ( Big Brother, TV Soaps, Comedy ( The Office, Extras, Peep Show ) )
    America came up with TV which just isnt funny compared. They had there Comdey fad with friends, but similer shows ( Will and Grace, Scrubs ) they dont make it funny anymore
    We do shows with style and we can do it in 5 channels while America has 100's+ channels which bring all crap

Im gonna stick it with that.....

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Considering most TV, reality television in particular, is crap, you're not saying much. Several shows that are popular here were taken from Britain, and I imagine it goes the other way as well. But most of the shows you listed--especially Jerry Springer--are garbage.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think American TV is fine, though it's the only TV I know. I think all countries have good and bad TV and movies.

I love Seinfeld, Lost and House. All those shows are American. And yes I know a British person is in House.

Jerry Springer is an abomination. It's like... too pathetic for words.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

American TV is crap outside of a few programs. I suppose you could say that about all TV, though.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

American TV came up with 24...so it is automatically better even if everything else is in the dumpster.

MTV MUST BURN !!!!!

Big Brother is Dutch, I believe, we didn't invent that, and I thank whatever deity is listening for that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsu
    American TV is crap outside of a few programs. I suppose you could say that about all TV, though.
    I was just about to post but then I read the the end of your post xD. I dont know if I watch enough tv to give much of an opinion. Well the UK pimp my ride was much better than the american pimp my ride. Yeah thats all Ive got right now.

America has family guy,futurama and simpsons which means it's supieror (sp?)

The way it works is like this :

English programmes, especially comedy, rarely translates or succeeds in America (or any other country for that matter) because English humour is usually very dry, or based entirely on English things, for example how awful England is. You can't be a good English comedian without insulting your own country and culture. It's not because Americans are "too dumb" and English comedy is "too smart", it's just based on things Americans would have no idea or concept of unless they've lived in, or been to England often.

American programmes, especially comedy, translate well over the world because the humour and style is far less specific, it covers a broader spectrum, and even if there are jokes that are specifically American, they do not make up a large quantity of the total.

You can't say which is superior, since it's a purely subjective concept, though one could say that the widespread nature of American comedy and programmes has made them more successful.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy

English programmes, especially comedy, rarely translates or succeeds in America (or any other country for that matter) because English humour is usually very dry, or based entirely on English things, for example how awful England is. You can't be a good English comedian without insulting your own country and culture. It's not because Americans are "too dumb" and English comedy is "too smart", it's just based on things Americans would have no idea or concept of unless they've lived in, or been to England often.

American programmes, especially comedy, translate well over the world because the humour and style is far less specific, it covers a broader spectrum, and even if there are jokes that are specifically American, they do not make up a large quantity of the total.

You can't say which is superior, since it's a purely subjective concept, though one could say that the widespread nature of American comedy and programmes has made them more successful.
    You win.

Who's Line it is Anyways rocked until it came to America. Carrey sucks. lol
    Would you consider Canadian TV, British TV?
    Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky me again! I hardly knew I should use me feet again!

What do you have to say for yourself?

All im saying is is that American TV is now mindless garbage, But good comes out of it ( Six Feet Under, Nip/Tuck , Desperate Housewives )
    i only like American drama truthfully

Quote Originally Posted by Tama2
    Who's Line it is Anyways rocked until it came to America. Carrey sucks. lol
    Would you consider Canadian TV, British TV?
    ...No, I'd consider it Canadian TV since, you know, it's Canadian.

FFXIV Character

Striking Teek (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy

Lindy goes for teh win.