Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sword fighting

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default sword fighting

what are those people called who get in a group and fight with fake swords? There are some around here but I forgot what they are called, so I cant find them.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The SCA does a lot of re-enactment fighting, but they wear heavy armour and fight to full contact, using taped rattan blades.

There are a shedload of other medieval/renaissance re-enactment groups that do live steel fighting, though - I'm in one of them.

If you're trying to find a group like this, just look for your local SCA barony/shire/kingdom on the internet. They're a worldwide group, so there's bound to be one in your area.

Blog Entries

I'll look into that, but i dont think thats what im looking for.

casual mind slip

Fencing? o.O

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

Martial artists?

Asians?

Ninjas?

Samurai?

Wapanese no Otaku?

Blog Entries

no, none of that.its just a bunch of people, they usually meet i na park or something, and they swordfight with their own swords. no real swords. usually they are made of pvc pipe or something. the group has a specific naem but i cant remember it.

though I am think ing of enrolling in fencing classes.

Blog Entries

I dress up in armour and fight with training swords and sheilds in a park once every week. But the "group" I'm with don't have any specific name. We're just a bunch of people who's meeting up and swordfighting once every week. That's all. However... a few of those I'm fighting with are members of some kind of specific group that I just can't remember the name of...

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrayZ
    no, none of that.its just a bunch of people, they usually meet i na park or something, and they swordfight with their own swords. no real swords. usually they are made of pvc pipe or something. the group has a specific naem but i cant remember it.

though I am think ing of enrolling in fencing classes.
    Fencing has nothing to do with swordfighting like you're thinking of...
    SCA fighting is basically about people twaking each other with bamboo swords, axes, spears and whatnot. Some groups use 'real', i.e. steel, weapons with blunt edges. It absolutely rules.

Try hunting through the phone book, looking for WMA groups. WMA is Western Martial Arts, all the old fighting styles developed in Europe. Swords, for instance.

I think he means fencing.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

'Fencing' usually refers to Olympic-style fencing - where the fighters duel with foils. This is pretty far from the more traditional view of swordfighting, where fighters use heavier weapons and a wider variety of styles. There's a world of difference between a whippy foil with no edge, and a bigger sword that lets you slash and strike rather than merely jab.

WARRIORS!
    This subliminal message could be meant for YOU. But it's probably not. Move along ;D

I do sword dancing, that's fun

....til i tripped over sumones sword >.<

Blog Entries

Big D is right. I dont mean fencing, fencing is just another thing I want to do. It is like what Ultima Shadow does, but im pretty sure it has a name.

SCA sounds very interesting, but I think I may wait on that, because I dont have any ready transportation to go ANYWHERE, and my foot is still broken.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big D
    'Fencing' usually refers to Olympic-style fencing - where the fighters duel with foils. This is pretty far from the more traditional view of swordfighting, where fighters use heavier weapons and a wider variety of styles. There's a world of difference between a whippy foil with no edge, and a bigger sword that lets you slash and strike rather than merely jab.
    Yup, that's right. I've actually tried out fencing, too, a few years ago... but I don't like the fact that you'll just have to "touch" your openent with the point on your sword to win. In the swordfighting thing, you'll have to hit HARD, or else the hit won't count. It's more like in a real battle that way. You won't kill anyone by just poking them with a sword, you'll have to actually hit them hard. Even though we're only using bamboo swords (or whatever they are made of) and are wearing armour, you'll have to hit your openent hard enough to make them really "feel the hit". It's the one who's hit who decides whenever the hit was hard enough or not.

If you're hit on the legs, you'll have to keep fighting in a sitting position, if you're hit in your sword-arm, head or thorso etc, then you're "dead". But if you're not hit so hard that, if you were fighting with real weapons and not all that much armour (and in a few cases even WITH that much armour), you would have been either killed or hurt very badly, then the hit shouldn't count.

Anyways... I still don't have any idea what this kind of fighting actually is called.

Blog Entries

I dont know what that style is either, but thats not what im looking for. I want to know the name of the group that does it.