Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It is time! NZers, converge!

Default It is time! NZers, converge!

My Study Abroad application is due in about a month or so, and so I need your help to make the final decision. I've asked here and there, and I've gotten responses here and there, and of course I can't remember them now. So, I need you to help me decide where (in NZ) to study abroad from January to May 2006.

Option 1. Auckland, NZ - on the North Island of NZ. From what I've been told, it's a large city, bustling with activity and nightlife, and the university is huge. They have a class in Engineering Control Theory, which will be a huge factor in deciding.

Option 2. Christchurch, NZ - on the South Island of NZ. From what I've been told, it's a secluded area and very beautiful. The university is also huge, but I don't know how its size relates to the size of the city. I didn't see a Controls course when I was looking at their online catalog.

Other options: I know there are a few other major universities in NZ, but our engineering department has the strongest ties with these two, so in other words, if I had to apply to any other universities, I'd have to actually put effort into the application, which is out of the question.

I've given the brief descriptions so far - of course, I remember hearing mroe vague statements about how Auckland is this and Canterbury is that, but I can't remember them all. I know you're out there, so help me out with your Kiwi knowledge. Don't just vote, provide support for your choice, tell me about both, give me the info, etc etc.

Go.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

so basically this comes down to Big D vs Calliope. I hope they settle it in a knife fight.

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

Effort is a silly thing. We can't have THAT catching on.

Knife fights are so passe, I hope they call upon the spirits of their ancestors from four thousand years ago to battle it out in an epic struggle for Neel's soul.

In case BoB doesn't post in here...
    [10:41:13] Loony_BoB> NEEL
    [10:41:18] Loony_BoB> FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
    [10:41:20] Loony_BoB> GO TO AUCKLAND
    [10:42:13] Loony_BoB> Auckland = Nicky (Calliope), Mike (o_O) I think, Kelly (Rinoabella), Jewels (Jewels), Tammy (Sakura Yume) and probably more by now.

edit:
    [10:45:43] Loony_BoB> No matter what they tell you about Christchurch being the superior nature type place, Auckland has just as much of it. They only talk about Christchurch having a nice view because, well, that's all it's got. Auckland has that and a lot more.
    [10:46:05] Loony_BoB> Sports you'll be fine either way, really. Christchurch and Auckland both have a lot of sports going on.
    [10:46:34] Loony_BoB> Outdoor sports you're probably better off in Christchurch only because you'd be closer to Queenstown, which is the outdoor 'extreme' type sports capital of the world.
    [10:47:59] Loony_BoB> Multicultural center = Auckland, easily.
    [10:48:21] Loony_BoB> You're more likely to get a broadband connection there, too. heh.
    [10:49:40] Loony_BoB> But yeah, it's hard to say between Auckland and Christchurch because NZ is big on rivalries, and, as the big city, everyone has a rivalry with Aucklanders.
    Last edited by -N-; 08-09-2005 at 06:59 PM.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

in other words you can hang out with a bunch of people that never post anymore!

The one with Big D

Ahahaha, check me out, I'm Lenna!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auckland
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christchurch

That's about as unbias as you'll ever get. I'm going to try to be unbias as well. Although it's hard, because I was born and bred in New Zealand. It's bloody hard to find someone unbias, as if you're an Aucklander, you love Auckland - and if you're not an Aucklander, there's the whole rivalry thing that says that Auckland sucks. NZ is full of friendly rivalries, but we're always very loyal to our home cities/towns.

You have great people in both places. I think Big D lives in Christchurch, as well as my super-awesome ever-favourite cousin, Sus (who knows quite a few EoFFers through LJ - her name is psycho_devli). In Auckland, you have Nicky (Calliope), Kelly (Rinoabella), I think Mike (o_O) lives there, not sure about jc, and Jewels (Jewels) and Tammy (Sakura Yume).

Both places have beautiful scenery, too. Lots of massive parks in both cities, the ocean (on both sides for Auckland). In Auckland you're more likely to find lush mountains and hills and forests (Waitakere, aka West Auckland) while in Christchurch you're just a drive away from the Southern Alps - the highest mountain range in Australasia, with all the snowsports. Christchurch is closer to Queenstown, the capital of outdoor sports covering everything from bungee jumping to jetboating to wakeboarding to snowboarding. Auckland on the other hand never has any snow and is 2-3 hours further from mountains where you'll find it, but it's obviously got the more temperate climate because of that. Auckland is far more multicultural than any other city I've lived in, and this means that it has all the touristy things going on for it. It's also close enough to Tauranga, Rotorua and Taupo (just above Mount Doom/Ruapehu), which are the other big tourist spots. The South Island's tourist spots are based on cold weather (Queenstown and the Alps) as well as nature (Alps, again, and Fjordland, one of the most beautiful rainforests you'll ever see... although I've yet to go there ). But no matter how much South-Islanders brag on about their nature, don't think that it doesn't exist in the North Island. It's everywhere in New Zealand, even in Auckland City itself. The nature in New Zealand is beautiful no matter where you go. God, I love that.

Oh, and if you're into sailing, then Auckland should be noted to be known as the City of Sails - more boats per people than any other city in the world.

I'm only guessing here, but I've always just assumed that Christchurch has more history to it. But after living in the UK, any European-style history in NZ seems silly. The maori sites can be found up and down the country anyway, so you'll never run away too far from them. Rotorua and Taupo would probably be the most famous places for that sort of thing, and maybe Waitomo.

They're about equal distance from Wellington, so unfortunately we can't just say "oh this one's better because it's so far away from that dumbass capital city."

Quote Originally Posted by eest
    in other words you can hang out with a bunch of people that never post anymore!
    Auckland: Calliope, Meat Puppet, o_O, Jewels - all active posters. And even if they don't post as often anymore, Kelly and Tammy are still well known members of EoFF and, if they remember princeofdarknez here, would probably be more than happy to meet him if he comes over. They're awesome.
    Christchurch: Big D.

I'll figure it out later...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah I agree with Lenna, she knows the score.

EDIT: But seriously, I think that it tends to be "If you want a city life, to go Auckland. If you want a quieter life, go to Christchurch." I honestly think that Auckland is the best place to go for tourists because they can get everything that Christchurch has to offer and then they can have more. The only thing that CC has that Auckland doesn't is the quieter lifestyle. But if you want that... why travel overseas? It seems a bit of a waste in my opinion.

The bigger questions should be more "What kind of place are you after?" Also, "What kind of lifestyle do you have right now, and where do you live?" Comparisons are pretty important. I mean, my cousin would come up to Auckland and think it's so damned busy - but I think it's fine. I would imagine someone from L.A. or London would find Auckland has a fairly laid back lifestyle, and would find Christchurch to be either an insanely nice getaway - or else a complete bore.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Christchurch: VASTLY lower cost of living (electricity, rent, food). Cheaper petrol. The country's best and cheapest public transport. Less traffic congestion. Less crime.
    Great university, too - it's all on the one campus, so there aren't the same commuting hassles you get at other unis.

If your into live music, arts and big big big cities then go for Auckland

However, Big D is right about ChCh.... much cheaper, nicer, less polluted, less bums etc.

Go for Christchurch Mitch says
    :mario::luigi:

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Go for Auckland, you'll find Meat Puppet nowhere else.

There's sure to be other reasons, but mostly Meat Puppet.

Blog Entries

I've been to both an want to go back so if you do Neel I'll come visit! Auckland though.

Jafa's, typical
    :mario::luigi:

MY sister is doing study abroad also

fall semester in canada and spring semester in London.