Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Truth About Violent Youth and Video Games

Blademaster of Northland DeBlayde's Avatar

people trying to blame video games is yet another attempt to remove responsibility for crime from the responsible perpetrator. Does the perpetrator believe the things said in court about how daddy never took him fishing and mummy smacked his bum leading directly to his stealing a car? no. just pretends to so that he won't go to jail for as long.

and the media perpetrates these things so that people feel bad when the guilty are punished.

unrelated note: I see some causal statements here. be careful all, nothing has been proven. Only very strong support given to disprove a paradigm.

Makoto, Honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeZipster
    I love you.

The media lies to us too much......I am glad you realize this.....They pick on one little paste time of ours,& use loose ideas to warp us.....

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7
    <-- Take it from my little friend to the left.
    Do not lose your braincells!

you know what, someone from a schools down the road was sufficated with a plastic sainsburys bag. He lived, it was only a joke by school kids. Stuff like that I saw on Manhunt, could they be related, maybe, so dont go slagging the Media, for all you know, they could be right.

I would like to say that bad parenting and growing up with crooked morals, or no morals at all causes more violence than video games. kthx.

Bipper

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz
    you know what, someone from a schools down the road was sufficated with a plastic sainsburys bag. He lived, it was only a joke by school kids. Stuff like that I saw on Manhunt, could they be related, maybe, so dont go slagging the Media, for all you know, they could be right.
    They shouldn't have had a copy of Manhunt though. I don't care if it brainwashes kids in ten seconds flat into murder, the fact is someone circumvented the ratings in some way.

Oh, and last I checked, it wasn't Rockstar who first discovered you can't breathe through plastic.

I wrote a term paper on this topic last year. Though I focused more on the psychological studies that have been going on since Astroid and Pac Man. Out of the 12 studies I researched, only 3 concluded that videogames increased agression, 7 said it decreased agression, 2 yeiled no results. GTA actually makes us more passive!
    Why do hot dogs come in packs of ten but hot dog buns come in packs of eight?

Don't laugh at people's pain, laugh at their face.

the article was brilliant !

do you think if all the kids just one day put down there ps/xbox controllers and started reading, they would start blaiming those, have you read macbeth ? suicide, murder... quick lets all ban books ! or what about movies or tv, quick lets just ban everything, and sit in a room by ourselves and do nothing, then lets see who goes crazy...

i think most teen crimes are caused through being stupid, and having nothing to do, as was the case of my stupid friend, who is, indeed very stupid, he was bored one day so he dicided to steal a car, he broke into the house (well they left ther door open), took the keys and some cash, and got into the car. problem was, he's 16 and cant drive, so as he reversed out of the driveway, he hit sraight into a brick wall... and then a lamp post, he was soon after arrested, he dose not own a copy of GTA:SA, i bet if he did he woudnt have done this, he woud have been in playing it, why bother going through all the effort of stealing a car (with the possibility of getting caught) when you can do it in a game by pressing a few buttons ?

i also checked MAVAV webste, and i think its the most rediculus, pile of bias crap i have ever read, the funny thing was, when i dicded to check out some of there ammusingly titled articles such as "splinter cell-how-to-kill" they were ALL unavailable due to "editing" i asume this is beacouse there crap and full of lies, iv got an idea lets start our own group GAMAVAV amers Against Mothers Against Videogame Addiction and Violence, any one ?

oh whilst also browsing there site i found this add :

hows that for irony ?

i will also be sending them an interlectually Email on how i think there full of crap very soon, i encourage you to do the same (however this email wont be full of errors like this post, its 7am and i havnt been to sleep yet)
    Last edited by ultima88; 09-06-2005 at 12:05 AM.

if you want a new sig, or you just wanna see more of my work, go [/!]here <--

Quote Originally Posted by ultima88
    oh whilst also browsing there site i found this add :

hows that for irony ?
    Google ads go by what's in page content, and obviously a PS2 was mentioned somewhere.
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?

yeh but its still ironic

if you want a new sig, or you just wanna see more of my work, go [/!]here <--

I recently heard some journalist speak out on the issue on a show. He said most of the political figures we see today making such a big deal out of violence in videogames are democrats trying to gain an edge on republicans on the "family values" issue ( which is a stupid ambiguous notion that appeals to american voters ) anyway this explanation sounds about right to me. Democrats have more or less been getting their clocks cleaned on crap like that and I think this just could be one of the ways they're trying to gain more credibility. In addition, ive just never been able to understand what the fuss is about, considering anyone who isn't a complete moron would understand that content in videogames is no more influencing than our cable tv shows or movies so I can atleast rest easy this way thinking our politicians are not this dumb albeit just a little deceitful, and hey im comfortable with that.

whats even more depressing is seeing intellegent individuals such as ourselves wasting our precious gaming time on discussing this asinine 'issue'. You see, once the media gets a hold of this its presented to us in a way as if its the next 'hot' issue in america and then we buy into it and suddenly we're producing charts and graphs and the like when I think its a pretty common sense answer to begin with. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Shadow8017; 09-05-2005 at 05:22 PM.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

actually, violent video games are making us less physiccally aggressive and more passive agressive.

its a lovely thing really.

half the people sueing whom where are the ones supplying there kids with the games there not of legal age to play yet (ie. M15+ etc etc), they are just adults covering up the facts that its the arguments/abuse they convey around there children that make them violent.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow8017
    I recently heard some journalist speak out on the issue on a show. He said most of the political figures we see today making such a big deal out of violence in videogames are democrats trying to gain an edge on republicans on the "family values" issue ( which is a stupid ambiguous notion that appeals to american voters ) anyway this explanation sounds about right to me. Democrats have more or less been getting their clocks cleaned on crap like that and I think this just could be one of the ways they're trying to gain more credibility. In addition, ive just never been able to understand what the fuss is about, considering anyone who isn't a complete moron would understand that content in videogames is no more influencing than our cable tv shows or movies so I can atleast rest easy this way thinking our politicians are not this dumb albeit just a little deceitful, and hey im comfortable with that.
    I know what you mean... here in Israel when the goverment removed the people from Gaza, there would be poloticians going there making it look like they really care aboute the people, and not the upcoming elections that we are gonna have in january.

Alot of the "parents" that are probably reading all this bull that games make people, children and students hurt, kill or whatever are only blaming it on games because they can't come to think of it that they might have done something wrong with there kids. So they go to the first option that they have.
    :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:IMG]http://media.spikedhumor.com/3160/bush_worstdisaster.jpg[/IMG]-->Sig removed for being over the 250 pixel height limit.

Oh man, come on. Be a little more original. If I see another nerdy thought trying to make video games out to be some thing relevant in the public's mind, I'll just, you know, do something bad, metaphorically.

Only bad soccer moms ever made an consciously legitimate issue out of video games as a major concern. The rest were just thieves trying to get money with lawsuits. The reasons why Americans and their dung-stupid spawn are in such disarray are right in front of everyone's faces. But everyone sees that as celestially inevitable, so they try to scratch up a quick fix. And if you ask me, vgames and other entertainment here take a backseat to trite words with no meaning, like self-esteem, parenting, and other such dumpster filler. That's what they all think needs to be "fixed". What's getting in the way of this things? "Uh, well who knows". You gotta psychoalalize kids, that's how. No morons. It comes straight from the adults. The whole culture rewards mediocrity and the aggressive persecution of strangers to one's own cause. Intended or not, dirt stupid kids absorb the message of encouragement to harass deviants, misfits, and anyone that doesn't match the criteria of a strict social structure if they can manage it. Teaching discipline, boudaries and consideration for others is nowhere near the priority in the so-called "education". The priority is mom and dad getting a free daycare center. While unofficially, the status quo dictates to the kids that ability is the only boundary. The culture is the problem, not some entertainment company. That is why people don't want to listen and instead bring up these trite little reasons. It's a dead end, folks. So just enjoy it while it lasts. People are getting scummier by the minute.

Interesting note: Timothy McVeigh was never noted for playing video games, but was noted for being a decorated officer in the Gulf War. Maybe, and this is just a theory, that teaching kids that they can kill for the sake of nationalism is more likely to end in murder than telling them that they can kill for the sake of the 500 point bonus. Any thoughts?